Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Crappy quality bottles...

Does anyone else have bad luck with the quality of the bottles that fragrances come in? You'd think with all the time/effort that goes into the appearance of the bottle and smell of the fragrance, it would be designed well. These are (some of) the bottles I own(ed) that suck:

1. The Different Company 90ml - beautiful cap, refillable...arrived with big chunk of bottom missing that creates a razor sharp edge (note - doesn't appear to have chipped, but a manufacturing flaw)

2. Clive Christian edp - owned 2 bottles that would both leak juice out of the spout that would be sticky and get all over your fingers

3. Hermessence - lid no longer seals on the bottle and makes a "clinky" noise if the bottle is moved

4. Paul Smith - cap screws off with section of the spout that is supposed to remain stuck inside. You no longer need to screw the cap off...just pull (or let it fall off)

5. Creed Imperial Millesime - Gold has chipped, peeled off in several places

6. CSP The (tea) Ltd. edition wood bottle - lid on wood bottle falls off, screw-on section of wood bottle doesn't screw on properly and is crooked

Just a note that no, I do not travel with, abuse, play catch with, kick, lend, or any other harmful activity, my bottles. All of the above bottles were either like this upon arrival after ordering on the Internet, which would deter me from sending them back, or became like this after it was too late to return.

Sorry...needed to rant. :|

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crappy quality bottles...

I think the design of Bvlgari Black's bottle is awesome, but SO MANY people have had problems w/ the spraying mechanism. One time I asked a SA @ Nordies why they had the BB tester out, but no bottles of it under the shelf. The SA said that they have a few bottles in the drawer, but only bring them out when someone requests the frag. He said it was because too many people complain about the sprayer that they don't readily advertise that they have it besides having the tester out.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

fcuk him bottle: cool design, but quite leaky. Sign of the times.
    Mémoire d'Homme: clever spray/lock mechanism by turning the atomizer head. It just doesn't turn very well. You want to spray yourself and wind up in a slapstick scene from an early 70s Woody Allen movie.
    The gold paint is peeling off my MI as well.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

As much as I adore it, Calvin for Men has an atomizer from hell. Every bottle I've ever had has either leaked, or sprayed funny, or not worked well in general (if much if at all). The juice sure makes it worth my trouble, though.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    I think the design of Bvlgari Black's bottle is awesome, but SO MANY people have had problems w/ the spraying mechanism. One time I asked a SA @ Nordies why they had the BB tester out, but no bottles of it under the shelf. The SA said that they have a few bottles in the drawer, but only bring them out when someone requests the frag. He said it was because too many people complain about the sprayer that they don't readily advertise that they have it besides having the tester out.
    Whoever was in charge in designing that horrible bottle should go back to engineering school. What exactly is the point of the on/off mechanism? I understand its appeal during certain situations, but if you're not going to do right, don't do it at all.

Perhaps if the bottle is used correctly, these problems probably wouldn't happen. But engineers are taught to compensate over uninformed users of a product and should have designed a more durable bottle to offset bad decisions.

Thrax

The tall slim bottles such as DKNY Men and the Mat line. I have a hard time getting mine to stand up

Chris 2005 brings up a very good point about the (attractive, but otherwise cumbersome) Bulgari Black bottle.
    Positively horrid design -- very hard to open and to spray. Good looking enough, yes, but a pisser to deal with.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

XS has a cool bottle, as do the dunhill desire red and blue, but the plastic, flip-top caps these bottles have, which are plated in metal, still feel cheap when using. I know it would add considerable cost to make these components out of solid metal, like that new Abercrombie Ezra Fitch...but it sort of ruins the experience of operating the product for me to feel like it could be broken off too easily. I don't know how many times somone picked up my desire red and tried to twist off the cap, which is connected to a somewhat fragile hinge at one end, and flips up rather than twists off.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I bought a large bottle of GIT by creed a while back, I think it took about 2-3 weeks before the atomizer thingy broke. It still works, but only if I press at the very back of it, then it gives of that little cloud of perfume, if I press it at the front nothing comes out where it's supposed to, I just get a stream of perfume running down the neck of the bottle. Very anoying.

Smile Re: Crappy quality bottles...

In my opinion the sprayers that Creed uses are absolute crap. If you are going to sell a high end Item targeted toward people who like quality why put such a crappy mechanism on your bottles.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

The atomizers on Truefitt & Hill bottles are more than a little questionable.

The worst bottle I've had to deal with is the Roots for Him bottle. It looks like it was manufactured in some backward country. The glass is poorly finished with rough/sharp edges. There is no damage to the bottle, that is just the way it was made. The spray mechanism on the top rattles, though fortunately it does not leak. The cap, well spray paint can caps have a classier look to them. I remember when I first got the bottle from an Ebay purchase, it was so poorly made that I was convinced that they sent me a fake. I even made a special trip to a Roots store to check. Fortunately the fragrance is not at all bad and for all of its rough edges the sprayer does work and does not leak. But if I were Roots I would NEVER have let something that looked so cheap get released with the company name on it.