Code of Conduct

Default Are there certain occasions where wearings frag is un-acceptable?

I dont know if I used the right word in un-acceptable. What I am trying to say is there certain times or places where wearing a frag is not useful or is just not right? I work at subway and I know that wearing frags to work is useless because the only scent I carry after I am done with my shift is the scent of bread, meat, cheese, and veggies. It stinks too because I would love to wear scents to work. So are there times when wearings frag serves no purpose?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Are there certain occasions where wearings frag is un-acceptable?

I would say in church, especially if it's a large congregation & you're all packed in the pews. That being said, I do wear a little bit of Gendarme or TM Cologne to church.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Meetings of allergy self-help groups?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

The answer to your question is No - there aren't any.

However, there are times when it's a tad nugatory. It's pretty pointless applying expensive stuff just before a work out, a swim, or prior to mowing the lawn on a hot day, as it will be washed off (unless it's Joop). Still, it doesn't hurt to wear cheap or shortlasting stuff on the way there.

I'm a bit mystified by your notion of not wearing it to work and back. That's precisely when to me it's best to wear.

If those everyday smells are overpowering what you are wearing, then you are either wearing very weak stuff, or are a member of the inoffensive brigade around here - that is, the "two squirts is too much" crowd.
    Join the "Six squirts is a bare minimum" contingent, and you will not be making the same comment.
    Renato

Wink Re: Are there certain occasions where wearings frag is un-acceptable?

I actually have an interesting answer to this one...

I do IT work and a few years ago after going on a service call, the following day I was pulled into my supervisor's office and talked to about a "complaint" that had been received. Apparently the client asked that I not be sent back out in the future do to my "smelling unacceptable" - It came as a HUGE shock to me and him as well, as it was an early morning call and I'd just showered / applied cologne about an hour earlier. This was somewhat of a huge "mystery" to me for a good year+ and I just couldn't imaging why the heck they'd call and say such a thing!

The place I visited was actually a Methadone clinic, where heroin addicts who were on methadone maintenance went to receive their daily doses. A couple of years later I met a woman who actually worked for awhile in a methadone clinic and after relaying the story she laughed and said that nobody who worked there was allowed to wear cologne/perfumes, or even use scented deodorants, as apparently some fragrances were known to be some sort of "trigger" in opiate addicts.

So I guess of all places, a methadone clinic is one place where it is perhaps inappropriate to wear fragrances..

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    I would say in church, especially if it's a large congregation & you're all packed in the pews. That being said, I do wear a little bit of Gendarme or TM Cologne to church.
    If members of the congregation were to look at me with disapproving frowns for wearing scent (which they never have) - I'd make sure I wore twice as much next time.
    It's my church, I'm a member, and I pay my money into the collection box.
    Renato

Any time it would bother other people I don't wear frags. It's akin to smoking or cell phone use: do it away from others who would be bothered.
    There's no reason to be a dick about my fragrance addiction.
    24, San Francisco, California USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ab74
    I actually have an interesting answer to this one...

I do IT work and a few years ago after going on a service call, the following day I was pulled into my supervisor's office and talked to about a "complaint" that had been received. Apparently the client asked that I not be sent back out in the future do to my "smelling unacceptable" - It came as a HUGE shock to me and him as well, as it was an early morning call and I'd just showered / applied cologne about an hour earlier. This was somewhat of a huge "mystery" to me for a good year+ and I just couldn't imaging why the heck they'd call and say such a thing!

The place I visited was actually a Methadone clinic, where heroin addicts who were on methadone maintenance went to receive their daily doses. A couple of years later I met a woman who actually worked for awhile in a methadone clinic and after relaying the story she laughed and said that nobody who worked there was allowed to wear cologne/perfumes, or even use scented deodorants, as apparently some fragrances were known to be some sort of "trigger" in opiate addicts.

So I guess of all places, a methadone clinic is one place where it is perhaps inappropriate to wear fragrances..
    So, instead of telling you that normal scent wear - of the type that thousands of women that came into contact with that organisation would ordinarily wear - is a problem for clients of that organisation, the person involved went and made a false statement to your supervisor.

How does it feel to be a victim of sexism?
    Renato

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    If members of the congregation were to look at me with disapproving frowns for wearing scent (which they never have) - I'd make sure I wore twice as much next time.
    It's my church, I'm a member, and I pay my money into the collection box.
    Renato
    I just think it's consideration. I know I, myself, wouldn't want to sit next to someone who was wearing overpowering perfume/cologne/aftershave for an hour plus. It's the golden rule, you know, do unto others yada yada. Seems that church is an appropriate place to adhere to that rule .

As a committed secularist, I don't know about churches or other places of worship, but I DO know that there are three wonderful people in my life who are highly allergic to fragrances of almost all kinds. (I once wore Versace's Blue Jeans around the most highly affected of these three -- my friend Sara, up in northern California) and she literally broke out in hives. Awful -- just awful.

I only eschew fragrances altogether when I'm around those three people (Sara chief among them). Otherwise, I figure that it's each man/woman for him/herself.

I DO wear more conservative fragrances when I meet with clients, true, but that's just good business, IMHO. (Obviously, M7 and Musc Ravageur are a bit "naughty" for those occasions -- at least in my book.) I'll likely just stick to Eau Sauvage, a little bit of Polo Crest, or (lightly applied) Bois de Portugal when meeting clients.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th November 2006 at 10:50 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

It all boils down to not overdoing it. There are dozens of people on here who proudly profess to dousing themselves in their favourite cologne everytime they leave the house. This is fine if you're going to be in an environment where you're moving around and it isn't cramped quarters. But anywhere in which you're going to be stationary for longer periods of time and in close proximity to other people, in my opinion it's totally unacceptable. Even with the finest fragrance sprayed from head to toe, 99.9% of people will want to punch you in the mouth if you're sitting next to them for hours on end.

However, if we're trying to think of a defined, specific spot in which it would be innapropriate, aside from common sense examples (ie. the allergist's office, sauna lol) there aren't any major ones I can think of.

What, no Passage D'Enfer?

Just kidding

but I agree with Acehimself; dont overdo it and be mindful of your location. Crowded in the pews I'd want something that is close to the skin, not a sillage monster.

I think that a church or temple or whatever your religious place is, is suitable for cologne. They are usually burning incense or have potpourri. If you wear something that matches it then there should be no problem.

I think that a funeral might be a little unacceptable. That is the only one I can think of that I would second guess my application of any fragrance.

Arrow Re: Are there certain occasions where wearings frag is un-acceptable?

I used to work in a special ed classroom with kids on the autistic spectrum. Fragrances were forbidden as many of these children have heightened sensitivity to stimuli and perfumes can create a serious sensory overload for them. Likewise, strong fragrances in a healthcare setting (visiting someone in the hospital or clinic) are usually a no no. This jives with the meth clinic anectode.
    Illness and medications can really alter a person;s sensitivities. Just my two cents. (there is that pun again)
    Conversely, in our hospital's cardiology unit, we conservatively use aromatherapy with essential oils as a complementary therapy.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 4th November 2006 at 04:33 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Thrax

I'd say that there is no situation where wearing a scent is "unacceptable." You just have to wear a scent that fits the mood.

At the funeral of somebody close to you as the fragrance might always remind you of that day.

I don't know about the appropriateness of wearing scents at certain ocasions, but there are a couple of scents, primarily Angel and Bandit, that I RARELY wear in public.

These two "force" their presence on others. I"m not in to "making" people smell me.

Job interviews. Sadly, it may be as bad as discussing religion, politics or preferences. At best restrict it to a fragance that smells like clean soap. Be a blank slate and then let them have it.

Quote Originally Posted by fenton_t_fox
    At the funeral of somebody close to you as the fragrance might always remind you of that day.
    I usually get dressed up when I go to a funeral - at least jacket, collar and tie.
    Thus, to me, it seems totally inappropriate to not wear scent to a funeral - it's the equivalent of dressing down.
    Renato

I just think it's consideration. I know I, myself, wouldn't want to sit next to someone who was wearing overpowering perfume/cologne/aftershave for an hour plus. It's the golden rule, you know, do unto others yada yada. Seems that church is an appropriate place to adhere to that rule .
    I'm a bit puzzled by your response. I have no problem with your comment about "overpowering", though that was not in the context of the original question. However, with the possible exception of Joop Homme, I have difficulty thinking of any aftershave on the market that I would consider overpowering on anybody I sat down next to for an hour or more. They're just too weak.

Do you really feel scent at such low levels can be overpowering?
    Renato

They say that you are never supposed to put on perfume or cologne before going to a job interview just incase the person giving it is allergic. Same goes with the first meeting with a new client.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    ...Illness and medications can really alter a person;s sensitivities. Just my two cents. (there is that pun again)
    Conversely, in our hospital's cardiology unit, we conservatively use aromatherapy with essential oils as a complementary therapy.
    After a hospitalization period of four months (a few years back and with minor pauses in between) I can confirm this. I was over-sensitive to smells of any kind and believed to go through a Susskind kind of hell. I noticed my own skin smells more than is normal, and couldn't stand that, and taking a shower was not possible. From food to the (daily) floor cleaning liquid everything could make me feel ill. Gilette shaving cream and hot coffee were the only luxury frags I wasn't afraid of. I did enjoy when visitors or a nurse wore something, but just noticeable for the moments they came close to my bed. On the other hand: one surgeon loved music and I remember how hours of utmost concentration (in cardiology, wide awake) passed easier when we all had Mozart and African drums from some fantastic speakers, it sounded greater than real, beyond the regular beeps of control instruments.
    A month after I was released I bought Kouros and joined basenotes. Boy, was I lucky not to have mentioned that bottle in my first post..!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardex
    They say that you are never supposed to put on perfume or cologne before going to a job interview just incase the person giving it is allergic. Same goes with the first meeting with a new client.
    Just as important: not wearing perfume will never get you negative marks. Wearing it, easily could!
    Last edited by narcus; 4th November 2006 at 01:48 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

For me, there are no occasions. I always wear a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I think that a church or temple or whatever your religious place is, is suitable for cologne. They are usually burning incense or have potpourri. If you wear something that matches it then there should be no problem.

I think that a funeral might be a little unacceptable. That is the only one I can think of that I would second guess my application of any fragrance.
    My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and my mom asked me to hold the funeral speech because she was emotionally unable to. I wore Villoresi's Sandalo because I knew it would support me in doing this. Sandalwood in particular has such a rich ritualistic heritage, it was practically made to help you through moments like this. This experience hasn't made that particular fragrance morbid to me in any way, because I associate it with what it does, not the context in which it did so.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

The answer to your question is No - there aren't any.

However, there are times when it's a tad nugatory. It's pretty pointless applying expensive stuff just before a work out, a swim, or prior to mowing the lawn on a hot day, as it will be washed off (unless it's Joop). Still, it doesn't hurt to wear cheap or shortlasting stuff on the way there.

I'm a bit mystified by your notion of not wearing it to work and back. That's precisely when to me it's best to wear.

If those everyday smells are overpowering what you are wearing, then you are either wearing very weak stuff, or are a member of the inoffensive brigade around here - that is, the "two squirts is too much" crowd.
    Join the "Six squirts is a bare minimum" contingent, and you will not be making the same comment.
    Renato
    I don't wear it to work and back because I know the scent will just fade away while I am working. Usually when I get home for work, I take a shower anyways so that is when I get clean and could put on my smell good.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    After a hospitalization period of four months (years back and with minor pauses in between) I can confirm this. I was oversensitive to smells of any kind and believed to go thru a Susskind kind of hell. I noticed my own skin smells more than is normal, and couldn't stand that, and taking a shower was not possible. From food to the (daily) floor cleaning liquid everything could make me feel ill. Gilette shaving cream and hot coffee were the only luxury frags I wasn't afraid of! I did enjoy when visitors or a nurse smelled nice, but just for the moments they came close to my bed. One surgeon loved music and I remember serious hours (wide awake) passed easier listening to Mozart and African drums.
    A month after I was released I bought Kouros and joined basenotes. Boy, was I lucky not to have mentioned that in my first post..!
    What an amazing story!! And to think after all that sensitivity you started with Kouros — the one thing guaranteed to oversaturate your senses!

cheers and best wishes

Eluard

I think it is a sacrilege to wear a frag (particularly a loud/overbearing one) to a fantastic meal. The only frag that has never interfered with my enjoyment of a meal is Eau Sauvage.

That being said, when we get get together with my Italian relatives / family friends every second guy is wearing Pino Silvestre, it adds to the meal

Quote Originally Posted by TAFNola
    Job interviews. Sadly, it may be as bad as discussing religion, politics or preferences. At best restrict it to a fragance that smells like clean soap. Be a blank slate and then let them have it.
    This is where one spray of classic eau de cologne is perfect. Or a little trumpers limes. Creates an light aura without really being smellable.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    What an amazing story!! And to think after all that sensitivity you started with Kouros — the one thing guaranteed to oversaturate your senses!....
    To be honest: I took a shortcut mentioning Kouros, which I had known from before. Before that, I madly hunted for what seemed to be the best perfume ever smelled, and what actually brought me here: Bois du Portugal.

Dinner and fragrance, that could be an issue. I wouldn't want to smell someones Musk Ravageur or Green Irish Tweed, but I also never have. To be on the safe side I best forget my power scents in future. It used to be smoke mixed with unidentified ladies perfumes, what I associate with dinners.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I would say that wearing a frag to a job interview is fine, but make sure it is one spray.

Wine tastings are an absolute nono. Any trace of fragrance will interfere with your sensory perception. The same applies to any other tasting, of course, but wine would seem the most frequent thing of this sort.

I also would not want A*Men to interfere with my $30 Creme Brulée at a gourmet restaurant. Only light fragrances, EdC ideally, and minimal dosage, if at all. Or perhaps some Antimatière by Les Nez ...
    My Wardrobe

Hadn't thought about wine tastings, but you have a very good point there.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

As a person who used to give job interviews I can tell you that it is not against the rules to wear a scent to an interview, but it is a gamble. For a while we were giving group interviews where we would tag team the poor person being interviewed, and I am 99% sure that one of my co-workers rejected a potentially good employee because he was wearing her ex-husbands signature cologne. By the same token, I know that I have been positively swayed by a good scent on an attractive person...it is human nature. I think it is safest to skip the frags when you are interviewing, but believe me, there are much bigger faux paus made all the time in interviews. Many people who interview read books or are trained in how to interview and will read a ton of information from this slightest unintended gesture that may not even have relevance in the culture of the interviewer or interviewee. For instance another co-worker of mine read that in Arabic culture displaying the sole of your shoe is an insult, and instantly she became sensitive to it.

Blog Entries

I'm a bit puzzled by your response. I have no problem with your comment about "overpowering", though that was not in the context of the original question. However, with the possible exception of Joop Homme, I have difficulty thinking of any aftershave on the market that I would consider overpowering on anybody I sat down next to for an hour or more. They're just too weak.

Do you really feel scent at such low levels can be overpowering?
    Renato
    I'm sorry, maybe I didn't understand what YOU first said. When you said that if someone gave you disapproving looks for wearing scent @ church, I assumed you meant they were giving you disapproving looks because you were wearing too much to begin with, and to top it off you'd make sure to wear twice as much next time.

And I think that ANY fragrance could be overpowering if applied too heavily. One time I doused myself in Clinique Happy because I wasn't going to be able to freshen up when my friends & I were out on the town for a long evening. I must've sprayed like, 20 times. I was in citrus hell for a couple hours.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicolastutor
    Any time it would bother other people I don't wear frags. It's akin to smoking or cell phone use: do it away from others who would be bothered.
    There's no reason to be a dick about my fragrance addiction.
    My thoughts exactly. My mother suffers from asthma and cannot stand most fragrances I wear, so i just have to go without around her.