Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Best Violet Frag

My first Basenotes post - hello everyone! Apologies if this has been well covered before.

I love parma violets and am looking for a suitable frag. I don't mind if it is a bit heady in the first hour, but am looking for something that has a bit of longevity and settles down to be a bit powdery with something to balance the sweetness of the violet.

I've heard of Trumper Ajjacio and Beene Grey Flannel, but any tips very welcome.

Smile Re: Best Violet Frag

First of all, let me welcome you to Basenotes. This is really a great place to find just about any information you could ever want on just about any fragrance. As to violet scents, I am still in the curiosity stage with that flower. If done properly, it can be a stunner, or so I've heard. Unfortunately, I don't know enough fragrances with the kind of violet you want. I can guarantee someone here knows, so stay tuned! Again, WELCOME!

Default Re: Best Violet Frag

Give Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens a try. Its starts out as a violet dominated scent that dries down to a unique violet and cedar union. A very woody floral. Also, being an edp, it lasts very well.

Another nice (and cheaper) one to try is Burberry Touch. There is good a amount of violet in this scent too, but the base is dominated by musk.

Welcome to Basenotes.

I'm gonna weigh in and say Rykiel Homme. Nice bright citrus top so it's actually not too heady at the start. Mellows into a middle of powdery Violet and Iris that just won't quit. It's a well balanced frag but definitely Violet dominated. It's cozy and cheerful. Wearable summer or winter and work or play. I'd definitely give it a try.
    m

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guerlain Après l'Ondée is an iris-based scent that also features violet; it's definitely worth investiating if you like violets.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

CSP's Bois de Filao and Balmain's classic Jolie Madame (very wearable by men) are two you should check out.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for all the tips. I've got some serious sampling to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    I love parma violets and am looking for a suitable frag. I don't mind if it is a bit heady in the first hour, but am looking for something that has a bit of longevity and settles down to be a bit powdery with something to balance the sweetness of the violet. I've heard of Trumper Ajjacio and Beene Grey Flannel, but any tips very welcome.
    Grey Flannel deserves to be considered, if longevity matters. It belongs to the best in that respect. A bit in your face during the first half hour. I try and ignore that. Later it behaves a lot better, but it will be there for you during a whole day. Not sweet at all (one thing it shares with the new fragrance Unicorn Spell).
    In case you are not too shy for that, include Bulgari pour Femme in your sampling tour: That eau de toilette came to my mind when I opened my sample of Lesnez' Unicorn Spell. Although other floral notes play an important role in pour Femme, the violet is predominant in a very subtle manner, light, warm, sublime and lasting (sweeter than Unicorn, but not really sweet). If until then no other man found it worthy enough to write a decent review, I may some time.
    Last edited by narcus; 4th November 2006 at 10:07 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know this personally, but it immediately came to mind whan you mentioned Parma violets. This is very much a lady's scent, I gather, but you never know.
    http://www.parmaitaly.it/storia-k.html
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love Unicorn Spell and it is so green and cool, it's very unisex, I think.

Post Thanks / Like

am looking for something that has a bit of longevity and settles down to be a bit powdery with something to balance the sweetness of the violet.
    The first that came to mind was Burberry Touch for Men
    Also, give a try to L'Artisan Verte Violette , although it may have some longevity issues...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    I dont know this personally, but it immediately came to mind whan you mentioned Parma violets. This is very much a lady's scent, I gather, but you never know.
    http://www.parmaitaly.it/storia-k.html
    Great minds think alike! I was going to suggest that one too.

Musn't forget the very fleeting Ajaccio Violets from Trumpers!

Welcome to Basenotes Michael, even if you do wear the red rose of the Lancastrians and I wear the white rose of the Yorkists...haha!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    I love Unicorn Spell and it is so green and cool, it's very unisex, I think.
    Our impressions seem to be quite similar. Yes, cool like barefoot on the summer grass before the sun is really up. I find Beenes' violets almost as chilling as a tombstone in January. Obviously the Unicorn is a masculine loner! King of the beasts, knight of the virgin lady.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'll second Grey Flannel. Great bottle to.
    Celebrating it's 30th year in production. 1976-2006

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice on violet fragrances. I think after some e-baying, BN decanting and department store browsing I should give a little feedback.

Burberry Touch for Men – I did a test spray of this and did not like it all. I could well be suffering from the British prejudice against Burberry that a number of posters have noted. Whilst some Burberry frags (Brit perhaps) might overcome this prejudice, Touch simply reinforced it. To me, it smelt generic and synthetic. In its defence I only did a card test, I’ll do a skin test at some time, but with low expectations.

Trumper Ajaccio Violets – got a decant and put a little on some paper. It was perfect. A complete summation of what makes violet such an intoxicating, joyful and mysterious scent. I thought I had found my Holy Grail for a summer and holiday scent, but then I tried it on my skin. Previous posts had warned that it was 'fleeting', so I should have known. My skin simply swallowed it. One gulp. Nothing left but an unpleasant powdery note. I could keep it for another try at the height of summer or just soak all my notebooks in it. Initial hopes dashed.

Rykiel pour Homme – ebay bargain. I put it on and it disappeared. I thought I was in Ajjacio Violets territory again, but after a generous re-application it stuck on my skin and very nicely too. The top notes are bright, citrusy and delightful. The drydown is quite light and subtle, but it does keep going. It marries the violet with fruits and dark berries, but it isn’t too sweet. I can’t detect any typical basenotes and it is quite linear. Unisex rather than masculine. This could be a summer favourite.

CSP Bois de Filao – kudos to levente for the tip. It doesn’t appear on any other violet thread and is my current favourite. Seems quite simple – citrusy/peppery short-lived top notes; mid and basenotes of violet, woods and musk, but it does keeps the violet note from the top through to the end without ever losing it, having it dominated by (or dominating) the other notes or falling into sickly-sweetness. Good longevity, very wearable, impressive.

I still need to investigate Grey Flannel (some BN comments have put me off and I don’t know where I can test this in a UK store, but bottles are quite cheap on ebay); Bois de Violette, Serge Lutens; Balmain Jolie Madam (I like the sound of the green/violet combo - so should add Unicorn to the list) and Penhaligon Violetta (next trip to Selfridges).

I’ve just got some Bleecker Street which I believe has a good violet note and I’ve been enjoying the violet/iris heart of GIT.

Violet seems to be a difficult note to capture accurately and (particularly) to sustain - sounds like the perfect subject for a minor obsession .
    Last edited by michaeld39; 25th November 2006 at 02:42 AM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

1st place: Bois de Violette
    2nd place: Unicorn Spell
    3rd place: Grey Flannel
    4th place: Halston for Women (original)
    5th place: Ajaccio Violets

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Grey Flannel would seem to be the stuff, but there's always Fahrenheit out there.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Jumping in with the Grey Flannel too...awfully cheap as well.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Burberry Touch for Men – I did a test spray of this and did not like it all. I could well be suffering from the British prejudice against Burberry that a number of posters have noted. Whilst some Burberry frags (Brit perhaps) might overcome this prejudice, Touch simply reinforced it. To me, it smelt generic and synthetic. In its defence I only did a card test, I’ll do a skin test at some time, but with low expectations.
    Touch is definitely one that needs to be tested on the skin. I totally overlooked Touch because I didn't like it on the card. Then I tried it on my skin and completely fell in love. It's one of my recent favorites. It's worth a spray on the back of the hand . And wait for the drydown before you make a judgement.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    1st place: Bois de Violette
    2nd place: Unicorn Spell
    3rd place: Grey Flannel
    4th place: Halston for Women (original)
    5th place: Ajaccio Violets
    I am not debating this order, it's yours!
    I just want to give Bulgari Femme the honor
    of being mentioned in this noble context.
    It's the closest thing to the Unicorn !

( or should I have said that the other way around ?)
    Last edited by narcus; 25th November 2006 at 06:13 AM.

Michael,
    Have you tried l'Artisan's Verte Violette? - a well balance, greenish violet.

I would also like to suggest Viola (from my perfumery - Ayala Moriel Parfums). It's a powdery, green violet scent and I think will work equally well on both men and women. It's a violet soliflore, and includes notes of violet leaf, tonka, rose and iris.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Post Thanks / Like

First thing that came to mind was Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene. Second thing that came to mind was The Unicorn Spell by LezNez.

Unicorn Spell is basically the opening of Grey Flannel stuck atop the base of Alfred Sung's Shi - to me anyway.

Grey Flannel is the way to go. I love it

Post Thanks / Like

Arpège for Men by Lanvin seems to me to be very much like violets, especially in the drydown, and is a wonderful scent.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Unicorn is my favourite.
    Also Green Irish Tweed has a noticable violet note
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another one: Molinard's Les Fleurs de Provence series Violette. Long lasting linear violet scent that smells like the violet candies that come in a pocket tin. Very inexpensive too, and single-note straight up violet. Might not have a powdery drydown though.

Off hand I can't remember if Caron's Royal Bain de Champagne/Caron has violet exactly in its top/middle notes, it sure has lilac, but the base is powder.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would kill for Bois de Violette. Just so you know, in case there's ever a perfume-inspired murder and BdV is mentioned, the culprit'd be me. :-)

Grey Flannel's next, but I wouldn't kill for it.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Here's another one: Molinard's Les Fleurs de Provence series Violette. Long lasting linear violet scent that smells like the violet candies that come in a pocket tin. Very inexpensive too, and single-note straight up violet. Might not have a powdery drydown though.
    --Chris
    I would love two half days (or one at least) in a shop that carries all of Molinard's, Fragonard's, or R & G solifleurs and other goodies. Many people would be very happy with simple extraits for a change. But how to get to them? I think some of these firms could easily boost their sales if they went on tour, if need be united together.