Code of Conduct

Post Talcuum powder - any use?

I was sorting through my wardrobe this evening and noticed that I have some Penhaligon Raquets talc. It got me thinking when I use it. I'm afraid to say that it is only when it is really hot and sweaty and a bit of talc in the underwear helps.

When do folks use talcuum powder anymore?

Default Re: Talcuum powder - any use?

Michael:

I do exactly the same thing. Powder is reserved for summer months, and then only the hottest days here in NYC. Perhaps others will have other suggestions, but I concur with your usage, and find it great in the sweltering days of July and August.

My favorite comes from a US brand called Kiehl's which makes a cucumber powder which serves as talc, but I believe is actually talc free.

Joe

Cheers Joe - I wish I'd had my talc when I was in NYC this August!
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Michael:

What brand do you use? The Kiehl's is great because the container fits in a travel kit.

Joe

PS If you can get it through Security these days!

I love using talc in the summer, in the 80's & early 90's most fragrances have produced talcum pouder along with the bath line..I used to own Paco Rabbane PH, KOUROS, ETERNITY.
    they give nice sheer hint of the fragrance & keep your skin fresh by the end of the day.
    however they are all have been discoutinued now.
    now I am using the white musk talc by the body shop..I can layer it easily with most of other fragrances.

I wonder why is the millineum man is shy to wear talc anymore?
    I mean the 80's men were more brave to use it, & perfum houses had produced it for them??

Quote Originally Posted by tariq
    I love using talc in the summer, in the 80's & early 90's most fragrances have produced talcum pouder along with the bath line..I used to own Paco Rabbane PH, KOUROS, ETERNITY.
    they give nice sheer hint of the fragrance & keep your skin fresh by the end of the day.
    however they are all have been discoutinued now.
    now I am using the white musk talc by the body shop..I can layer it easily with most of other fragrances.

I wonder why is the millineum man is shy to wear talc anymore?
    I mean the 80's men were more brave to use it, & perfum houses had produced it for them??
    There has been some suggestion, I believe, that real "talc" is made from something that could be harmful, and that was the scare off; so Kiehl's has made a talc-free talc, which has a very mild but nice cucumber fragrance, if you can believe that, and so there we are.

Joe

PS: I wonder how they got the lab mice to wear the talc?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances
    Michael:

What brand do you use? The Kiehl's is great because the container fits in a travel kit.

Joe

PS If you can get it through Security these days!
    I've got some Penhaligon's, but I might try tariq's Body Shop suggestion. We don't see much of the Kiehl's line over here. I love cucumber as a summer scent (having never actually worn it) and saw a Kiehl's cucumber refresh spray on ebay recently - is it worth tracking down stuff from this line?

PS: I wonder how they got the lab mice to wear the talc?
    Turned up the heating?
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

I use Caswell Massey's Newport Talc...works beautifully.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

This may be more relevant for women with long hair...but my girlfriends and I like to rub some on our roots when it gets a little oily. Often our hair is clean, but the roots get a little shiny -so talcum powder is a great remedy! Just sprinkle a small amount onto the tips of your fingers, then evenly distribute and rub into your roots. In no way am I suggesting people not to wash their hair, but this trick will keep that "fresh" look going for another day. This way you don't get dried split ends from washing your hair needlessly, everyday. I'm sure this would work for men too. Just be sure to rub it in well.

i have fond memories of Deer Kist (sp?) talcum powder. I believe it is still made, though not in the metal tin i remember from the early 70s (my wee tot days). I remember it having a light and delightfull scent, but couldn't really describe it.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    I've got some Penhaligon's, but I might try tariq's Body Shop suggestion. We don't see much of the Kiehl's line over here. I love cucumber as a summer scent (having never actually worn it) and saw a Kiehl's cucumber refresh spray on ebay recently - is it worth tracking down stuff from this line?

Turned up the heating?
    Michael: Not sure about the cucumber spray, but I think most of Kiehl's products are very good. The cucumber talc is great. If you ever get to NYC you should stop at the store, or they also have Kiehls at Barneys.

Joe

For the summer..I just use baby powder..in my shoes also..it works for me.
    wolf

I recently discovered the use of talc as a friction-reducer while electric shaving. I use J+J baby powder on my face before using my electric shaver, and it drastically improves the ability for the razor to glide along the skin, instead of rubbing and stretching the skin. I put it on my hands, and then administer it as I would shaving cream (which can be slightly difficult to minimize waste), but it's cheap and it really helps. I haven't tried this with the clubman talc I have, which I reserve for the uses listed by the others. I am somewhat assuming that the J+J is possibly more gentile.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Michael: Not sure about the cucumber spray, but I think most of Kiehl's products are very good. The cucumber talc is great. If you ever get to NYC you should stop at the store, or they also have Kiehls at Barneys.

Joe
    I was at the Kiehl's store at south coast plaza and they said they stopped making the cucumber talc two years ago...

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Acqua di parma Talc. year round. it's so fine and smooth. love it. i really miss Chanel Pour Monsieur Talc. can't even find it on ebay anymore.

I do the baby powder in the undies.

Italian Bath & Body makes some good talc with vegetable starch, it feels silky. (Perlier & Elariia are their two lines, along with Victor Green Tea.)

They rotate their selection but you can find it, along with other bath and body products, at HSN.com in the Beauty section. Also at Perlier.com and Ebay. On Ebay, run a search for either Perlier Talc or Elariia Talc. They bring new things in regularly and sell out of others on HSN, some of the gift sets contain talc, too, and you can read reviews.

Mediterraneum (spa scent) and Olivarium (fresh herbal w/ olive oil) are nice for men, others are, too. Rice, Honey, White Almond, etc. On Ebay, I noticed an Elariia White Tea and Bergamot (spelled bergamont) shower gel and talc duo and Oatmeal, which has a coriander note. They'll be bringing a lot of new things in to sell for Christmas on HSN.

These products also show up at TJMaxx, so you can see what they have if you are near one. International shoppers might be able to buy off the Perlier.com website, I don't know. Sometimes they have more than they list, you can email them and ask.
    --------------------------------------
    Check out CaswellMassey.com, too. They have lots of talcs on there for men and women, $12 each. I'm not sure of the ingredients.
    Last edited by beachroses; 12th October 2007 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by ToadKings View Post
    I do the baby powder in the undies.
    Bad idea. Talcum powder contains starch which actually holds moisture in and can cause jock itch. I use a product called Zeasorb which contains no starch at all and it keeps my crotch dry in the hottest weather.

My understanding was that talc, if inhaled, builds up in capillaries and restricts blood flow causing different problems from chilly extremities to blindness. Makes sense but I have no idea how long the process takes or how much talc it takes to clog a capillary.

I have a friend who uses talc everyday on his hair and neck to , as he says, "neutralize smells".
    Last edited by argogos; 4th February 2008 at 06:35 PM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Roberts Borotalco is my choice on talc

I'm learning to love talc. I'm currently using Acqua di Parma, which is silky smooth and subtly fragranced. I'm thinking of switching back to J&J long term for price reasons. Anyone know where to buy Clubman in US?

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I'm learning to love talc. I'm currently using Acqua di Parma, which is silky smooth and subtly fragranced. I'm thinking of switching back to J&J long term for price reasons. Anyone know where to buy Clubman in US?

Ged
    I would think you could get Clubman talc at almost any large pharmacy. I get it at that high end emporium called CVS!

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    My understanding was that talc, if inhaled, builds up in capillaries and restricts blood flow causing different problems from chilly extremities to blindness. Makes sense but I have no idea how long the process takes or how much talc it takes to clog a capillary.

I have a friend who uses talc everyday on his hair and neck to , as he says, "neutralize smells".
    Talc is finer than granules. Talc consists of super-fine colloidal particles. Chronic useage over time can inhibit the alveoli which is the functional unit in the lung that transports oxygen across the membrane and into the bloodstream for delivery.

Talc is outmoded.

Be clean, use body lotion and an EDT.

Before I used body lotion/oil my balls used to sweat like hell so I used talc, not knowing better.

Coating with body lotion keeps everything clean. Seals moisture in.

This tip is not a personal hygiene use but in cycling you rub talcum powder on the tube when installing into the tire. It prevents it from sticking to the tire. Essentially keeping it fluid inside the tire therby preventing a flat from a hot spot.

Blog Entries

Plain cornstarch works very well in place of talc. It's cheap, has no fragrance to irritate delicate tissues, and won't clash with any perfume you may be wearing. It also doesn't make clouds of fine dust in the air that aren't healthy to inhale, the way talc does.

I keep Pinuad Clubman Talc under the sink for occasional use. It has the great, ol'Classic
    barbershop scent of the Pinaud Clubman cologne. Nicely priced @ less than $4 for a large container in my area.

Uses are sprinkling on chaffed skin, wonderful sprinkled into your shoes & on your feet.
    Quite delightful when applied to the "puppies", altho to do so too frequently may border
    on (LOL) fetishism of some sort.

I use the Shalimar "Poudre Parfumée pour le corps". It's soft and beautifully scentenced like a veil, but also leaves your skin dry and smooth.

The ritual itself is fairly sexy. The powder has a strong incense smell which matches perfectly with the extract.
    Last edited by Night; 19th November 2008 at 06:23 AM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Yardley's Invisible Talc is my ongoing favorite for hot weather - I have half a dozen containers stashed away - It has a very light fragrance that doesn't clash with cologne.

Does the AdP & clubman talc scent last throughout the day?

I do use it once in awhile- especially the ones by Worth Je Reviens and by Imperial Leather. Not just for the slightly deodorizing effect, but also the gently abrasive, skin soothing effect.

Just use it to keep sensitive areas dry and odor free.