Code of Conduct

Question Chanel Egoiste!!

I have been looking to buy this one for a while now..unfortunately i do not have the privilege of sampling this in the malls here coz it has been withdrawn from australia since a few years..i recently bought antaeus blind after reading the reviews here..i must say i was in complete awe of the fragrance...so much so i picked up another bottle coz i was getting a good deal and i thought i'd use it anyways..Now i am thinking of looking at this other masterpiece from chanel..

I have read the previous threads about Egoiste and one thing that really stood out in there was that it is too sweet..I can see vanilla being mentioned in its drydown..i am not a huge fan of vanilla in my scents..bought bvlgari black & bogart pour homme blind...was not quite fascinated with either...infact i dont really like gourmand scents...i bought Dior homme blind too but the caramel in it totally put me off...i bought Black XS blind too and the sweetness was unbearable...

I did manage to sample Allure which i found cloying because of excessive sandalwood...Allure sport was much better but i thought it smelled generic...

Well this is the only gem from Chanel that has escaped my attention until now...

I know i should learn my lessons by not buying blind but i cant sample this one here...I just wish to know from the experience of members here..what to expect in this really...

Is there anything that you can compare Egoiste with so that i could get some idea? Can it be worn in summers in Australia or is it too sweet to give it a shot? Is this really a scent dominated by vanilla coz if it is then i would stay away from it. I would like to see the rose note in it which i love but i have read that its not detected by a lot of people...Does Egoiste have the punch like that in Antaeus? Does it smell anything like Allure because of the common sandalwood?

Please give in your expert opinion on this one.

Thanks in advance.

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 4th November 2006 at 07:35 AM.

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste!!

I have it in front of my sniffer right now.

I'm going to try to answer your questions about it rather than trying to describe the scent itself from scratch - i'm not very good at that.

Too sweet? You have Envy and M7 both in your wardrobe and give both a high rating. I own Envy and have tried M7 and would consider Egoiste much less sweet than either of those.

Off hand, I don't know what the pyramid is. If you hadn't just told me that it has vanilla as a basenote, I'm not sure I'd be able to identify it - in other words, the drydown is not at all dominated by vanilla IMHO.

To me, the drydown is dominated by sandalwood but not in a cloying way. It is quite subtle. In fact, if I put my nose to my wrist, I can't smell the sandalwood but I am always getting fleeting whiffs of it in the air from the motion of my arms.

I'm not sure I can detect the rose note. I have not had enough experience with rose scents to be able to positively identify that note.

It does not have nearly the same punch as Antaeus in my opinion.

Personally, I would not wear it in the summer but you might be able to get away with it in up to 85 degree weather.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 4th November 2006 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist

Too sweet? You have Envy and M7 both in your wardrobe and give both a high rating. I own Envy and have tried M7 and would consider Egoiste much less sweet than either of those.
    I consider Trumpers Sandalwood to be sweeter than both M7 and Envy - if Egoiste is similar to Trumpers Sandalwood, I will pass on it-
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I consider Trumpers Sandalwood to be sweeter than both M7 and Envy - if Egoiste is similar to Trumpers Sandalwood, I will pass on it-
    I don't understand your comment as it relates to mine. Did someone say in a different thread that they thought Trumpers was similar to Egoiste? I've never tried Trumpers so I can't compare the two directly.

But I'll rephrase my M7/Envy statement anyway: In my opinion, M7 and Envy are much sweeter than Egoiste.

I'm not an expert but given that you find Allure cloying and prefer the Sport version I am not sure you're going to like Egoiste.

IMO, Allure is 3x lighter than Egoiste which has enormous sillage and lasting power (on me). I don't get much vanilla in the drydown but it is pretty heavy on sandalwood. To be honest I can't detect a rose note in this and it is not a gourmand scent. It also has that saliva note in the drydown which many mention here. As to its sweetness, yes there are many sweet scents out there but there are also many types of sweetness. Delicate and creamy sweetness of, say, Endymion is not the same as sweetness of Egoiste. I'd call its sweetness quite heavy and heady but definitely not subtle. This frag screams 'here I am!' and is anything but subtle IMO, but others may disagree. It is my love & hate frag as it's a high quality scent and not generic at all but at the same time a bit too heavy. I sometimes find it unbearable esp. in warmer weather hence I usually wear it and like it best in cold weather (below 50F). I wouldn't recommend buying this blindly however, if you do (like me) and don't like it, it shouldn't be difficult to sell/swap.

Egoiste packs a sweet vanilla-sandalwood punch. If you don't like sweet scents like Dior Homme or Allure, I'm not sure you'll enjoy it that much.

That's odd. I'm pretty sure I saw testers of Egoiste at the Chanel counter of the larger Myers stores (but I could be wrong). And I bought a bottle at Perfume Connection, so I know they had it.

It's not the scent with the most vanilla I own, nor is it anywhere near being the sweetest. I don't even think it's an oriental, as it is often listed. I agree more with OsMoz's woody-spicy classification of it.

I've never worn it in summer. My ladyfriend started sneezing a lot whenever I wear it, so I can't wear it round her anymore. It's a very different, odd kind of scent, worthy of it's name. I grew to like it a lot. I'm not sure what you'll make of it, as I think there's a negative correlation between what you and I like.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    That's odd. I'm pretty sure I saw testers of Egoiste at the Chanel counter of the larger Myers stores (but I could be wrong). And I bought a bottle at Perfume Connection, so I know they had it.

Renato
    I went to Myers, Southland. The woman there told me that its been something like 2 years since egoiste was withdrawn from here. Well i just took her word for it. If you say so i'd keep my eyes open when i go to a different Myers store.

I also assumed that since it is not there at the Chanel counter it wouldn't be there at Perfume connection either. I'd go there and have a look though.

Well after reading the reviews it does look like egoiste should be tested before it is bought but if i get a good deal on ebay i will snap it up and can always flip it there (like i am flipping my Black XS & Dior Homme).

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by gupts
    I went to Myers, Southland. The woman there told me that its been something like 2 years since egoiste was withdrawn from here. Well i just took her word for it. If you say so i'd keep my eyes open when i go to a different Myers store.

I also assumed that since it is not there at the Chanel counter it wouldn't be there at Perfume connection either. I'd go there and have a look though.

Well after reading the reviews it does look like egoiste should be tested before it is bought but if i get a good deal on ebay i will snap it up and can always flip it there (like i am flipping my Black XS & Dior Homme).

gupts
    If you go into the city, have you tried,
    Paint 'N Powder, 13 Royal Arcade, just off the Bourke St Mall, opposite the old GPO?
    They used to carry it. They're worth visiting regardless, as they often carry a lot of designer ones mentioned here which aren't carried by the major retailers.
    Renato

I tend to stay away from sweet fragrances and vanilla, but I like Egoiste. Envy and M7 have been mentioned as points of comparison and I find Envy too sweet, but M7 is my number one favorite.

I guess this is by way of saying that just because you generally don't like sweetness and vanilla, don't rule out Egoiste. But testing before you buy is advisable.

This might be a strange comparison since they don't really smell alike, but Egoiste actually reminds me a lot of Dior Fahrenheit. I get a lot of sandalwood from both, but Fahrenheit is much drier, and more biting, whereas Egoiste is smooth and creamy.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    I guess this is by way of saying that just because you generally don't like sweetness and vanilla, don't rule out Egoiste. But testing before you buy is advisable.
    SmellsLike has a point here. I love sweetness and vanilla but I really couldn't get into Egoiste. I suppose it was the rose note that irritated me.

You should definitely try before you buy.

Egoiste is all rose and sandalwood on me (and a dollop of vanilla in the far dry down), with a spicy lavender opening. It is by no means sweet, although I 've noticed that an older sample of Egoiste I had was much richer and, well, sweeter (but still not cloying) than the jus they've been putting out of late - overall it feels like it's been watered down a notch. I have my dear fellow Basenoter ¡Maverick to thank for opening my eyes to this beautiful masterpiece. I also think he did a thread on Egoiste and the modifications that have been made to the jus over the years.
    I say, go for it! Also agree that Antaeus is remarkable!
    Last edited by Dusan; 5th November 2006 at 10:40 PM.

You can get a mini to try here:

http://www.parfumflacons.com

I've ordered from them many times. Very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    You can get a mini to try here:

http://www.parfumflacons.com

I've ordered from them many times. Very reliable.
    Thanks mate for putting in all the effort that you have..Luckily Renato has offered me to send a sample of the egoiste :-)

Can't wait to dab it on..

As far as the M7 is concerned its one of my favourites...M7 Fresh too...am just crazy bout them...i've just been dousing myself with M7 Fresh since the last week or two...can't seem to get enough of its 'sweetness'

Thanks once again

cheers

gupts

I own a bottle of Egoiste and while I certainly pick up the rose and sandalwood notes, it's the vanilla that dominates my experience of it. vanilla is not a favourite note of mine, but this is quite a refined blend; while initially a bit sharp and sweet it dries down quite well. It's grown on me and I like it, but is not one of my top scents.

Not sure about the 'saliva note' mentioned upthread; might be there but hadn't noticed so far. Have many people had that? Interesting anyway.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Egoiste has not been available (in England at least) since about 1993 (I think!) However, if you happen to visit Japan, it is freely available anywhere you see Chanel Fragrances in the bigger department stores. They no longer seem to sell the soap here though.

Regards

I have been looking to buy this one for a while now..unfortunately i do not have the privilege of sampling this in the malls here coz it has been withdrawn from australia since a few years..i recently bought antaeus blind after reading the reviews here..i must say i was in complete awe of the fragrance...

gupts
    My gay friend who broke my heart (sob) wears Antaeus (he lets me sniff him now and then out of pity for me and I agree it is a wonderful fragrance!
    Just a thought from a female.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Here is one Chanel that smells of Guerlain. Now that I own a bottle, I really do not understand what all the excitement was about. I must have fallen for the crazy advertising and the beautiful music they had chosen for it. I think it isn't difficult to find a Sandalwood & Vanilla dry down that is tastier, like Musk Ravageur, or JHL?
    OK - the music is still beautiful, and was not watered down !
    Last edited by narcus; 17th November 2006 at 02:43 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Egoiste definately has some sweetness, but it also has tremendous balance which keeps it from "feeling" too sweet. Vanilla, spices, sandalwood, and a very dry rose notes dominate for me. I respect it more than I like it, and my like for it has grown quite a bit with increased wearings. While not my favorite overall, if asked I would probably dub it the classiest scent I know. Gupts, Egoiste is definately a scent that can't be done justice by a sample vial, the main reason being that the top notes can be extremely off-putting if you don't know what to expect. If you really want to be fair, I would suggest a decant.
    As for the similarities between this and Trumpers, I would say that they share a similarity in that the sweet accord in each fragrance smells somewhat similar. Each overall composition, however, ends up being quite different, mostly for the reason, like I said, that Egoiste is very well balanced.

My wife, as an 18-year-old visiting France, spent a ton of money (for an 18-year-old) buying a bottle of Egoiste. For herself! Anyone wonder why I married the lass? :-)

I'm getting Egoiste for my birthday! Can't wait, can't wait. From everything I've read, this is class personified.

*Edit: Class personified? I guess I really must like Egoiste!
    Last edited by ifconfig; 17th November 2006 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton
    Egoiste has not been available (in England at least) since about 1993 (I think!)....
    They have it in Croydon Superdrug. £25 for 50ml.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Not sure about the 'saliva note' mentioned upthread; might be there but hadn't noticed so far. Have many people had that? Interesting anyway.
    I notice it in Antaeus, Égoïste, Allure Homme, and Allure Homme Sport, but I don't pick it up until everything else is gone. To me this peculiar odor is the biggest downside to these few Chanels. (Platinum Égoïste I simply dislike from the beginning.)

I like Égoïste a lot, but if it weren't for that "saliva" drydown, it would contend for absolute favorite.
    Last edited by d4; 17th November 2006 at 05:11 PM.

Does anyone here agree with me that the sandalwood drydown in Egoiste & Allure puts them pretty much in the league...I personally find Allure just too too sweet...If i could put it this way...IMO Egoiste is a milder form of Allure...

anybody else out there who feels the same?

gupts

I have been looking to buy this one for a while now..unfortunately i do not have the privilege of sampling this in the malls here coz it has been withdrawn from australia since a few years.gupts
    It's been withdrawn from official distribution, but a chain called "Perfume Connection" do stock it regularly. When I was looking for it I had no difficulty finding it.

cheers

Eluard

I find Egoïste and Allure so very different....Allure is...boring, and not that sweet to me....it also has no staying power on me.

Egoïste is magic....I find it it to be an "oriental gourmet"...it is very evocative. it has sweet vanilla and roses, and it smells like baklava!!! I get Incense, but in a subtle not woody way...i get some kind of cherry port flavour and something that in argentina we call "black cake", a cake original fro Wales, with sweet spices, nuts and lots of other ingredients...

I LOVE EGOÏSTE, it has good longevity and projects very well.

cheers!

I just tested it today and the first sniff gave me the thought "Oh, I have something similar to this one" and I tried and tried to work it out and then came the answer. It is Sandalwood by Trumpers, really, quite similar, especially its drydown. Chanel's opening is more masculine, with a bit of a smoky feel to it. But I have no idea which one lasts longer. It's a good scent, not out of date at all.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    My wife, as an 18-year-old visiting France, spent a ton of money (for an 18-year-old) buying a bottle of Egoiste. For herself! Anyone wonder why I married the lass? :-)
    Égoïste smells on women. One of my student last year was wearing it, and damned, she once went to see me after a class to ask questions, I could barely speak.

I can feel the person that started the thread. I have the same problem with Egoïste, on myself. Call it rose/sweetness/sandalwood or anything else, I just can't wear it, though I think it's a great great scent. And I love Allure, M7, Envy...
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

Well, since I like Egoiste and this thread , I might just as well share some private notes on some memories linked to this fragrance.
    I was wearing Egoiste back in 1990, when I met my wife for the first time on my holiday in Greece.
    She said she didn't like my new Chanel fragrance, ...yet..we fell in ( and made ) love that very same day.
    We're still hapilly maried now for 12 years now and that first day is still linked with Egoiste .

And what about that commercial. It's still carved in my memory.

http://yann.gabin.free.fr/videos/chanel1990egoiste.mpeg

Thanks Egoiste,

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    We're still hapilly maried now for 12 years now and that first day is still linked with Egoiste .
    Its so nice to have a beautiful memory linked to a perfume...i mean it just transports you to that moment instantly...its just magical...unbelievable how a fragrance can take your mind to something thats in such a distant past..and you feel so real in that moment...Its so amazing how the sense of smell is related to the mind and how it unfolds the thoughts that can be both full of love & hatred...

gupts

if i get a good deal on ebay i will snap it up and can always flip it there (like i am flipping my Black XS & Dior Homme).
    be very careful buying Chanels off ebay. After Creed, I think they are the 2nd most often faked house.

Well, when we got married, we both wore Égoïste.

My husband (at that point still my boyfriend) found Égoïste because he loved it on me, and when I told him it was a men's scent he wanted a bottle of his own. So it was a natural choice for a shared wedding scent, and that was before all those unisex scents like cK One were launched...

The Égoïste magic had worked well for us, too: we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in August.
    So like Eric, I must say: "Thanks, Égoïste!"

But about the scent itself: I don't find it too sweet at all (the drydown is very gentle and soft but not that sweet IMO), and the fresh lavender & mandarin notes make it very suitable for summer wear.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

love it!
    I'm almost out of it. Anyone have a bottle for swap?
    Last edited by knightowl; 19th November 2006 at 08:21 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    I just tested it today and the first sniff gave me the thought "Oh, I have something similar to this one" and I tried and tried to work it out and then came the answer. It is Sandalwood by Trumpers, really, quite similar, especially its drydown. Chanel's opening is more masculine, with a bit of a smoky feel to it. But I have no idea which one lasts longer. It's a good scent, not out of date at all.
    I don't think they are similar at the beginning, nor are they similar after an hour or so. But you're right, there is a peculiar similarity during the first hour.
    Renato

I noticed a similarity , though lots of differences too. I don't think trumpers has that chanel aldehyde thing.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I cant even logically say how much I love this one! Its just all around perfect. Not too soft and not too strong. Just soothin and perfectly masculine and yeat so playfull. ANd at the same time, mysterious and dark. A true gentlemans cent.

Ps. Im in NEED of a bottle!! Check out the topic. I beg you people

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189607

I think it smells like apple pie maybe less like apple pie and more like a pipe tobacco in the drydown. and pour moi, it's TOO SWEET, sweetie! and I tend to like sweet but not that sweet.

TOO SWEET, for me also! Tauer's are sweeter, and they also have a quite a number of fans within BN!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

not to mention BMOC serge lutens

I'm late in this discussion, but I love this scent so much that I have to add my two cents. I first encountered this scent back in the early 90s when they still sold it in Canada. By the time I actually got around to buying a bottle, they had stopped selling it. I had been checking back at the stores intermittently to see if it had become available again. But it never did.

I know that a lot of people have had a difficult time obtaining bottles of this stuff, so I thought I should say where I got mine. I ordered it from strawberrynet online. It was sent with free shipping and got here in less than a week. I am so glad I ordered it! When I first opened it up and smelled it it brought me back to when I had first been captivated by it in the store so many years ago.

Since some people have mentioned it is a good unisex scent, I got my girlfriend to try wearing it. She really likes on her and so do I! On her I think the top notes stand out more than they do on me, but it is still great ... in fact, she'd like to start wearing it herself but she thinks it would be a bit weird to wear the same fragrance (even though I personally like the idea).—Are there any other fragrances that would be similar to this one that strawberrynet carries? (I like their free, quick shipping!)

Quote Originally Posted by eventide
    I'm late in this discussion, but I love this scent so much that I have to add my two cents. I first encountered this scent back in the early 90s when they still sold it in Canada. By the time I actually got around to buying a bottle, they had stopped selling it. I had been checking back at the stores intermittently to see if it had become available again. But it never did.

I know that a lot of people have had a difficult time obtaining bottles of this stuff, so I thought I should say where I got mine. I ordered it from strawberrynet online. It was sent with free shipping and got here in less than a week. I am so glad I ordered it! When I first opened it up and smelled it it brought me back to when I had first been captivated by it in the store so many years ago.

Since some people have mentioned it is a good unisex scent, I got my girlfriend to try wearing it. She really likes on her and so do I! On her I think the top notes stand out more than they do on me, but it is still great ... in fact, she'd like to start wearing it herself but she thinks it would be a bit weird to wear the same fragrance (even though I personally like the idea).—Are there any other fragrances that would be similar to this one that strawberrynet carries? (I like their free, quick shipping!)
    I got my first bottle from Strawberrynet too. Zero chance of my ladyfriend wearing it, as it sends her into sneezing fits.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Peace
    I cant even logically say how much I love this one! Its just all around perfect. Not too soft and not too strong. Just soothin and perfectly masculine and yeat so playfull. ANd at the same time, mysterious and dark. A true gentlemans cent.

Ps. Im in NEED of a bottle!! Check out the topic. I beg you people

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189607
    Did not know what the broo ha ha was all about until I was able to sample it in our local Bloomy's recently. You capture how I feel about it pretty well.
    This is a beautiful scent. I can't see myself wearing it, but I am sure I like it on men
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I love this one.

How it smells, the way it reminds me of my childhood, and its performance. It's all great!

Yeah, it has with a quasimedicinal opening but that mellows out really quickly (I actually love it) and you're left with a very nice deep-floral sandalwood base with hints of the medicinal opening.

Egoiste is a masterpiece, pure and simple. One of my first loves - got a bottle when it first came out, and little did I know that would begin a love affair. I hope its dwindling availability never results in it being discontinued outright.

This is one of my all time favourites.Along with Antaeus this is a masterpiece.

It doesnt get much better than Egoiste.
    I was at a cigar night the other night at an amazing restaurant and I could smell some guy's Egoiste in the background amongst all that cigar smoke. It was the perfect scent to be wearing in those surroundings! It was what I would have been wearing if I had any left. Christmas cannot come soon enough !

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I was wearing Egoiste back in 1990, when I met my wife for the first time on my holiday in Greece.
    She said she didn't like my new Chanel fragrance, ...yet..we fell in ( and made ) love that very same day.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    The Égoïste magic had worked well for us, too: we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in August.
    So like Eric, I must say: "Thanks, Égoïste!"
    what a beautiful stories

I am finishing my Egoiste bottle, I think I will buy Chanel Bois des iles - more feminine version of egoiste
    Last edited by DreamerII; 7th December 2006 at 08:03 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

i am aBout to Blind Buy it today
    im nervous

once i tried it half a year ago
    But i cant rememBer well aBout the top notes
    i just rememBer the top notes were too damn loud, and harsh and old guy type of smell
    that i was like "no, i cant do it"

once i dried down it was Better, But i dont know if ill make it through the top notes
    if i end up not liking it, would someBody here Buy it or swap it ?

I must be the odd one out. I find Egoiste to be a headache-in-a-bottle. I like strong scents, but the excessive dryness along with a synthetic sandlewood kills it for me. I dont know, maybe I have a bad bottle.

Simply a classic IMO.

I've heard the age range for this fragrance is for more of a mature crowd, but hey anybody can wear whatever kinda of fragrance they want as long as THEY like it

idk about this one, I know there a lot of love for this here but to me it smell dated and all that cinnamon is to much.

Thumbs up Re: Chanel Egoiste!!

I absolutely love the sandalwood drydown on my skin
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

topnotes can be harsh initially but with time you may learn to like it. The drydown is unmatched IMO. Best ever.

just Bought it today

opening is not as harsh as the first time i tried it
    or mayBe my nose changed and i am more tolerant now
    smells a lot like cinammon

already checked the code checkcosmetic.net
    date of manufacture is january 2010

i get a lot of flower at the top
    irs very similar to envy dry down with cinammon added

Egoiste is one of the very few fragrances that, if I was to hear it was getting discontinued in Europe - I would buy enough to last a lifetime. Now excuse me while I go put on my SOTN. Can you guess what it is lol?

I don't know what it is, it might be the coriander, but it has an intense and oily note that gave me a headache when I gave it my first wearing (2 spritzes to the chest) and it took 8+ hrs for it to settle.

Once I reached that stage I enjoyed it. I will give it a few more tries (with one spritz) before I decide what to do with this - because I can tell it's not a bad perfume per se...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunraz View Post
    I don't know what it is, it might be the coriander, but it has an intense and oily note that gave me a headache when I gave it my first wearing (2 spritzes to the chest) and it took 8+ hrs for it to settle.

Once I reached that stage I enjoyed it. I will give it a few more tries (with one spritz) before I decide what to do with this - because I can tell it's not a bad perfume per se...
    Try applying it on the back of your neck and you will like it much better.... it is an intense fragrance and if you apply it to the neck and check, you will feel like it's cloying....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."