Code of Conduct

Default Please help - need gift suggestion..

I have a lovely male friend who uses cheap and nasty aftershave and I want to buy him a nice one for his birthday. Based on this description of him, what would you suggest?

He is tall, dark and handsome.. (literally)! Young, single, energetic, a skateboarder who loves rock music, red wine and red meat.

Default Re: Please help - need gift suggestion..

Gucci Pour Homme by Gucci, or Visit by Azzaro.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Bulgari Black

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Gucci Pour Homme by Gucci, or Visit by Azzaro.
    These sound good to me - I would add YSL Kouros to this list, as well as Carons L'Anarchiste.
    -

Terre d’Hermès
    Polo Double Black

Sounds like he likes life "full-bodied". Montale black oud.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

C&S No. 88

Cool Re: Please help - need gift suggestion..

Lalage: Tall, Dark, and Handsome? Reminded me of my review of Antaeus, wherein I pontificated that you don't have to be TDH to wear this, but if you are and wear anything else, you're mising the mark. Nevertheless, this has to be an aftershave EDC right? Second Bulgari Black but . . .

What does this skateboarding red wine (Bordeaux?) drinking gent like to wear at present? I know you said it's it's a cheap piece of junk but what kind of junk is it? Sweet? Aromatic? Green/citrus? Woods?

Perhaps we could come up with an 'improved ' version along the same lines?

Or if he's clueless and all else fails, get him Tuscany/Etruscan by Aramis.

Cheers,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    These sound good to me - I would add YSL Kouros to this list, as well as Carons L'Anarchiste.
    Is there actually an aftershave in L'Anarchiste????

The question asked about aftershaves.

M7. No doubt.

I will second M7

Well the one he uses at the moment is truly awful bug spray type stuff.. but I guess if I had to describe it in a nice way I would say sweet and green with a hint of spice. Any ideas for an improved version?

- Gucci Envy
    - Mont Blanc Presence

Guys, given that it's a simple gift, suggesting these $150 frags probably isn't too productive.

I think he would do well with Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Guys, given that it's a simple gift, suggesting these $150 frags probably isn't too productive.

I think he would do well with Rive Gauche Pour Homme.
    Good point, what is your budget?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Cool Re: Please help - need gift suggestion..

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    Good point, what is your budget?
    Huh? You can pick up a bottle of Mont Blanc Presence at Scentiments for less than $20, Gucci Envy is not that much more, either. See alzo Bizrate, Shopzila, etc.

More problematic is if it has to be an aftershave splash rather than an edt.

Well, somewhere between the glory of Habit Rouge EDC The pure Romance of Salvador by Dali and the violent forests of Jacomo de Jacomo ; Somewhere outside of these hard to sample frags and bug spray---

--- Searching for green, sweet and woods--RC Cavs suggestions sound pretty good to me!

God only knows if the gentleman in question likes the green (Versace L'Homme?) or it's just a short citrus opener and he really goes for the sweet ( Mont Blanc Individuel?) or if it's the Spiced up Woods he enjoys (Vetiver by L'Occitane, Gucci Envy, etc.)

OK. Among the safer choices: Gendarme V, and Miracle Homme by Lanvin. The latter described as a Fresh Green Agrestic Aromatic Citrus Fougere Woody Musky fragrance. ( In English: It ain't bad)
    Know what? You might have some fun going down to the local mall/ dept store and giving these a whiff.

Good Luck, Lalage

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Being that you're in the UK, how about M7 Fresh by day and M7 by night?
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Christian Dior's Eau Noire might suit your friend. Does he dress like a 'Rocker'?
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Right, thanks for your suggestions everyone! I'm thinking about Envy..! The name sounds like something he'd go for and if its green and sweet that should do the trick. I'll sample some of the others you mentioned though and pick the nicest one. Thank you guys.

Sweet and Green?

Fahrenheit

I'm suprised to see some of these reccomendations to be given "blindly" as gifts-!- M7 ! Black Oud ! - Fahrenheit ?!!!

M7 and Fahrenheit (big fan of both) are surely try-before-you-buy's and doesn't Black Oud cost three hundred dollars or something?!

I'd say the best suggestion I've seen would be Terre d' Hermes. Not only because I'm a fan, but it is versatile, beautiful, and almost universal in it's earthiness. It is also relatively new and for lack of a better term...Hot.

I'd even suggest trying before you buy, (but I know that's not an option in this case) and especially at the high(er) price of the Hermes (you should be able to find it for $55...), it is still a bit of a risk, compared to cool water or the like. Not as big of a risk as fahrenheit or m7 though.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Yes, I was surprised by the Oud suggestions myself. Not only are they expensive (esp. the Montales), but some of the notes predominant in many (agarwood chief among them) can be quite overpowering to many. (Hence my stifling my desire to suggest M7.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]