Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Creed and its fancy clientele - So what ?

Quote Originally Posted by tigers1901
    Eventually I learned that a SA is always present in NM who works directly for Creed, not for the store. It's important to find out who that person is.
    I didnt know this - I didnt find the SA's at Saks to be very informative, but Neiman-Marcus might be a different case.
    -

With NM, they keep a notebook with pages on each customer who's purchased Creed. They write down dates and notes for each time you've bought and each time the SA has given or mailed you samples. They even keep note of what your opinions may be of new launches. The SA will suggest that, even when you're just passing through the mall, to stop by the counter so that they can note that they've spoken to you again. It's important that they keep the pages up to date, because periodically Creed stops by to "check the books" on their associates.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    -- oh, and I still think that Kevin Costner couldn't act his way out of a shoebox.)
    That's fine with me, we can't always agree on everything, or would get bored.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Basenotes is the only site where this is the case. No other blog or perfume site has this level of celeb discussion. Well from what I have seen, no other perfume blog/site discusses Creed as much too.
    I wonder if this is because creed are more significant as a creater of mens frags than womens? With basenotes being the only site with a larger number of men, the frags get more coverage here?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I wonder if this is because creed are more significant as a creater of mens frags than womens? With basenotes being the only site with a larger number of men, the frags get more coverage here?
    Might be. But they do have a larger catalog of womens perfume. Another observation (by Scentemental) was that Creed (or any other niche house like Penhaligons, SergeLutens, SMN, L'Artisan, etc) are rarely talked about in perfume history (despite the fact that quite a few of the houses are over 50-100 years old). The history is all about the Carons, Chanels, Hermes and Guerlains.

Who knows, maybe "niche" houses really are overhyped
    -

Might be. But they do have a larger catalog of womens perfume. Another observation (by Scentemental) was that Creed (or any other niche house like Penhaligons, SergeLutens, SMN, L'Artisan, etc) are rarely talked about in perfume history (despite the fact that quite a few of the houses are over 50-100 years old). The history is all about the Carons, Chanels, Hermes and Guerlains.

Who knows, maybe "niche" houses really are overhyped
    Maybe. Or perhaps we overestimate the artistic/artisan factor and these histories place more importance on commercial success?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Well, let's face it, many people HAVE neither taste nor confidence in their own judgement when it comes to fragrance Those who are happy to find their own way to the fragrances they like don't particularly need to have their way lit by a posse of celebrities whose body chemistry is unlikely to be identical to one's own.

I wonder how many have actually been put off by a celebrity endorsement?

Count me in there -- someone told me a few years back that Dubya is fond of Hugo Boss for Men. (Don't know if that's true or not.) Was never a fan of Boss fragrances to begin with, but am now doubly prejudiced against them. (Even if I find out that Dubya DOESN'T wear Boss, I still won't care for the frag much.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 6th November 2006 at 05:02 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I didnt know this - I didnt find the SA's at Saks to be very informative, but Neiman-Marcus might be a different case.
    Sometimes the salesperson is an employee of the retailer, sometimes the salesperson is an employee of Creed's U.S. arm (Manhattan-based International Cosmetics & Perfumes, Inc. reachable at [email protected]) and sometimes the employee is "shared", that is, employed jointly by the retailer and Creed's U.S. arm. It varies from store to store.

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy_Nose
    Someone/everyone save that email! Got Creed questions? Great place to send them.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

This is off-topic, but in response to Tigers1901, the NM salespeople perform the same function for Guerlain skincare. My local NM appears to have no one present in the fragrance department (suburban location) and when I have shopped there no one has written down information about my purchase (Love in White). (They do seem relieved to actually discuss their products, however.) Buying Guerlain skincare followed your remarks about Creed research strategy to the letter. I felt I was interviewed about the performance of a face cream and there was the uncomfortable subtext that the whole thing was done out of a desire to penalize the salesperson for not securing additional sales, not out of a desire to obtain informative feedback.

I do not think people would buy a product simply because a celebrity uses it. I bet people are smarter than that and judge a fragrance based on other more important factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Creek View Post
    but this sort of approach is really geared to anxious teenagers, not the clientele of a high-end store.
    Wrong, it's geared towards insecure people with disposable income. Be it $20 or $200. :brolly:

It's been interesting reading this thread, so much vitriol on both sides pro-Creed and con-Creed. As for myself, I am probably the worst consumer out there, I just ignore ANY and ALL celeb endorsements. Who really cares what a overpaid actor likes to wear for his/her scent? I wore Bois du Portugal for years and only came to find out recently that Napoleon wore it. BFD! I found this out on Basenotes.

It is so true that many of Creeds fragrances are dated, yet that seems to be their allure, there are very few scents that have stood the test of time. I am neither pro-Creed or anti-Creed. I simply use my nose and skin and if I like a fragrance, I buy it.

As a perfume house, Creed has some work to do in getting some new ideas to market. Hopefully Oliver will see this need and get moving before another house takes the initative. If you look at their line, it is a bit arcane. A good example is Private Tabarome. I bought a 250ml Flacon of it because they don't sell it in smaller amounts. Is Private Tabarome dated? Hell yes it is, but not many people wear it and that is the allure to many fragrance junkies-wear something no one else is wearing (be unique).

I've often found humor in the way the market chooses age groups for it's fragrances. A 60ish guy I used to work with wore a spritz or two of Joop! and it actually smelled good on him. Is L3M for teenagers only? I wear it and get compliments.....

To wrap up ( and get off my soap box) Creed can extol the virtues of it's products with past and current celebs, I really don't care. My interested in fragrances is to please myself.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I do not think people would buy a product simply because a celebrity uses it. I bet people are smarter than that and judge a fragrance based on other more important factors.
    This is the most ignorant or naive statement I've ever read.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I really wanted to know which hunting dog systematically undigs rotting Creed bones to see if there is still flesh on them. This one hardly even smells any more - it's 2006! .
    It's standard practice to connect celebrities with one or the other product. It usually means money for everyone involved, including agents and lawyers. Michael Jackson wears Orange Spice, and Marilyn M wore 'nothing but a drop of ...' And somebody is professionally engaged to spread the news, an old path...
    Last edited by narcus; 1st March 2008 at 06:34 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

This thread is done. It was long ago as well.
    Questions?
    PM me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.