Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Male fragrance suggestion for business, everday and evening??

Hello,
    I am new this forum and am looking for help with fragrance. I am 24 yrs old, and I want that says high powered executive. I am looking for a scent that is versatile enough for business, everyday and even evening wear. I understand that it might not be possible to have all these requests in one fragrance so a few that suit the bill is fine. I use to wear allure homme, ralph lauren purple, le male, and kuoros but I would like to deviate from metrosexual scents as well as smells that everybody is wearing. I am looking for something that is masculine but elegant (subdued), modest and confident yet oriental and myseterious. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Male fragrance suggestion for business, everday and evening??

Let's replace "modest" with "subdued elegance"

more in the young direction:
    Burberry Brit
    Mat Very Male

more in the aristocratic direction:
    Richard James EdT
    Crown Perfumery Sandringham

More in the oriental direction:
    Lutens, Douce Amere
    Balenciaga, Cristobal
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Antaeus by Chanel or Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels OR Bois de Portugal by Creed -- they all may be a little mature for you now, yes, but you can (and will) grow to love them/grow into them. And they'll NEVER go out of style. (The true classics never do.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Yes, I second Antaeus and Van Cleef and Arpels — both scream money and sophistication. I would also say R de Capucci, and Polo Crest (both are findable on ebay). Finally Egoiste by Chanel.

It would be beneficial if you would indicate your country, as it helps to prevent recommending something that is very difficult for you to obtain.

Bois du Portugal. Isn't so oriental, but is perfect in all other requested ways.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am intrigued by the big 3 classics: antaeus, arpels pour homme and bois de portugal. However, also as previously mentioned, I'm worried that I am not mature enough for the smell so it would seem come off as pretentious. Also, the fact that that many people wear this...would that affect its novelty? I have been doing some research and "santos" by Cartier stuck out to me. Any opinions on that one? I like something classic and timeless but I don't want it to be old. While I have not smelt any of the aforementioned classics, I do know that I do not like the cool water, safari by polo and drakkar noir b/c those smells really date somebody. This is why I'd be skeptical of something like the extremely popular green tweed. I'll try to get to store so that I can smell those scents and let you know what I think. Where do they carry the 3 fragrances?

Van Cleef & Arpels
    Boucheron PH
    Nicolai's New York
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Givenchy Pour Monseiur
    YSL Pour Homme
    Cacharel Pour L'Homme
    Versace l'Homme
    Michael for Men

Just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoNij
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I am intrigued by the big 3 classics: antaeus, arpels pour homme and bois de portugal. However, also as previously mentioned, I'm worried that I am not mature enough for the smell so it would seem come off as pretentious. Also, the fact that that many people wear this...would that affect its novelty? I have been doing some research and "santos" by Cartier stuck out to me. Any opinions on that one? I like something classic and timeless but I don't want it to be old. While I have not smelt any of the aforementioned classics, I do know that I do not like the cool water, safari by polo and drakkar noir b/c those smells really date somebody. This is why I'd be skeptical of something like the extremely popular green tweed. I'll try to get to store so that I can smell those scents and let you know what I think. Where do they carry the 3 fragrances?
    I doubt you'd ever run across anyone wearing any one of those given the number of people who wear fragrances and what they wear. All are high class, though I'd list Antaeus (and Santos, at least the Concentrée) to an extent as more sensual than the latter two. All are 5 stars in my book. I'm 24 as well and own all of them, though I tend to dress on the nicer side than most my age. No one has ever told me or suggested that they don't fit me. It really depends on how much confidence you have in yourself and your personality, to an extent. If you look like a young kid fresh out of HS still then I guess Bois du Portugal might seem a little out of place.

Antaeus is hard to find in the States, let alone test. Santos can be tested at Sephora, Perfumania, Saks, etc. Bois du Portugal at Saks and other high end stores. VC & A's at perfumania. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by gimpy; 6th November 2006 at 01:28 AM.

There have been a lot of good suggestions. If you feel that the Antaeus, VC & A. and Bois du Portugal might be too mature (I think you can control that with lighter applications) try Kiton Men--very elegant and masculine without being at all dated. You won't find everyone wearing it, either. Santos is also a good choice.

Glad to know that there are other 24 yr old's interested in these things, Gimpy. I tend to like things older and more classic for my age so I think look wise, I will not have a problem fitting the fragrances. However, maybe self esteem wise I have some catching up to do. Do you have other suggestions along those lines since you have all of them. I think I will start out with just one. Currently I am leaning toward the Arpels Pour Homme instead of the Antaeus b/c reviews seem to be more favorably consistent for that fragrance. I am mainly looking for a signature smell. You say these work for evening wear too? Or are they strictly evening types? Too overwhelming for business?

Glad to know that there are other 24 yr old's interested in these things, Gimpy. I tend to like things older and more classic for my age so I think look wise, I will not have a problem fitting the fragrances. However, maybe self esteem wise I have some catching up to do. Do you have other suggestions along those lines since you have all of them. I think I will start out with just one. Currently I am leaning toward the Arpels Pour Homme instead of the Antaeus b/c reviews seem to be more favorably consistent for that fragrance. I am mainly looking for a signature smell. You say these work for evening wear too? Or are they strictly evening types? Too overwhelming for business?
    Of the three you were leaning toward I think VC & A's is the most "safe" and versatile, though all three are really. It's still very masculine, but it's also very elegant in that it smells of very fine soap (in addition to the florals, etc.), to an extent, hence making it more versatile than the Antaeus, which is a little more "raw" IMO. I think the new version is more subdued than the older one, which I have, which is supposed to have more of an animalic chord to it (I agree, the older one does have it to a degree). Still, you should test it if you can find it nearby as everyone has different taste. I think you can wear it in all those situations if you are attracted to these types of scents, and it would be a great signature fragrance. VC & A is one of those fragrances where you'll smell like a million bucks wearing it.

If these are a bit much for you at the moment, foetidus' recommenation of Kiton is great. I feel that it's a lot more modern and easier to wear for some people. Also try Boucheron pour homme as I think it's extremely classy, yet still somewhat versatile, again because of its soapy/powdery character. PM me of post here if you have any questions.
    Last edited by gimpy; 6th November 2006 at 04:32 AM.

Just go out and smell things. Smell until you find ones that you like. You've got plenty of good suggestions for starting here, smell them yourself and see if that doesn't answer your questions about evening wear or too overwhelming for business. Or to mature or too pretentious. Your nose and answers that, since those impressions are inherently personal and subjective.

Go smell, that's all there is to it. The Bay area has plenty of scent shops, and the big stores around Union Square will take care of many suggested here.
    --Chris

DustB,

You are correct that the next step is to just go out and test them for myself. I found a local Perfumania that I will visit to get an idea of some of these scents. Are there any other stores in the greater Bay Area (San Jose to San Francisco) that carry fragrances? I'm weary of getting fakes...not sure if this is a prevalent practice but I do have reservations as I am not well versed in this field.
    Second, why is that circa 1980s has such a great showing when it comes to classic fragrances? In particular, to what I was looking for...what was it about those few years?

Nothing says "understated elegance and class" like Chanel Pour Monsieur,
    either in the original formulation or the more common Concentree version.

New York by Parfums de Nicolai is another sure winner, along the lines
    of Bois du Portugal, but perhaps a little more subtle. A first-class frag by
    any measure.

Also, don't neglect Caron Third Man and Guerlain Vetiver, two more
    classics. The Caron is a superb spicy oriental.

These would work on a 24-year-old, no problem.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 6th November 2006 at 09:45 AM.

DustB,

Are there any other stores in the greater Bay Area (San Jose to San Francisco) that carry fragrances? I'm weary of getting fakes...
    Nordstrom at Valley Fair Mall, San Jose, has a good selection.
    Also at Valley Fair, check out Perfume Gallery. A small but well-stocked
    store. They even have Aramis Havana, and I spotted a bottle of the
    old formula Guerlain Vetiver (which some think is better than the
    current formulation).

If you go to San Francisco, definitely check out the Nordstrom at
    San Francisco Centre. They carry a superb collection, but be sure
    to visit their "Parfumerie" boutique area, as there are lots of niche
    scents there. Also in San Francisco, Jacqueline is a well-stocked
    store one block off of Union Square. I don't particularly care for
    the way the proprietor interacted with me, but he does have a great
    stock, and others have had good success there. I believe he stocks
    the original (1956) version of Chanel Pour Monsieur, as an example.
    Of course, at Union Square there is also, a Diptyque boutique on
    Maiden Lane, and the obligatory Neiman Marcus and Saks.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Let's replace "modest" with "subdued elegance"

more in the young direction:
    Burberry Brit
    Mat Very Male

more in the aristocratic direction:
    Richard James EdT
    Crown Perfumery Sandringham

More in the oriental direction:
    Lutens, Douce Amere
    Balenciaga, Cristobal
    egad, your finger is on the mark "subdued elegance" - its all about sobriety, i'm sure there's also room for Lalique pour homme edp (horse) & VC &A.
    Last edited by magnnum; 6th November 2006 at 10:04 AM.

I would buy maybe three rather than trying to satisfy all criteria.

For an everyday frag for work or play, Terre d'Hermes.
    For a power play, Bois du Portugal.
    For classic and timeless, Chanel PMC or Antaeus or Dunhill 1934.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Jaipur satisfys those requirements if you ask me
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

...Second, why is that circa 1980s has such a great showing when it comes to classic fragrances? In particular, to what I was looking for...what was it about those few years?
    I've created a new thread for this question and responses it generates.
    See: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=188991
    --Chris

The one grag that I think suits all your criteria (and Im really surprised hasnt yet been mentioned) is Givenchy Gentleman

Another vote for Antaeus, but it might be difficult to wear everyday.

when it comes to versatility, i'd pick:

- Emporio Armani for him
    - XS
    - Allure sport
    - Silver Black
    - Boss
    - Baie de Genièvre
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Lots of good advice in reply to your question. I would suggest Lalique The Lion. People used to call it a "boardroom" scent. It's pretty elegant and somewhat conservative, but it speaks power to corporate types for sure. It's certainly pleasant enough for evening social occasions of all types.

It isn't usually favored by people your age, but if you wore it, you would definitely stand out from the crowd and gain some respect from more seasoned types.

I found it at Neiman's. Other places might carry it that specialize in harder-to-find stuff. Don't think you'll see it at the mall. Good luck!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Update for those that follow. I made it to Jacqueline's in San Francisco today and was assisted by who I believe to be the owner. His name escapes me. I had an enjoyable experience with him. He took a liberal approach to my questions - by giving neutral responses. He said that he does not want to influence my decisions and feels he is there to just show me the fragrance. I need to decide for myself. I had about 15 paper samples, these are the ones that I like best: (in order of preference)

Van Cleef
    Declaration Cartier
    Santos Cartier
    Weil PH YSL
    Chanel Antheus

I have yet to try a few of the others and I will try to do so tomorrow. I am really interested in giving Creed a try (Millesime Imperial and Bois du Portugal). See what the hype is all about. Others I intend to try are Tiffany men, Lanvin L'homme, dunhill '34, kiton men, guerlain vetiver, nicole miller men, egoiste and perhaps some hermes smells.

I am worried about how "everyday" some of the scents are as my office attire is more business casual (trousers, dress shirt, sweater). Suits on occasion. I think Paul Stuart, Canali, Zegna, Giorgio Armani and Ralph Lauren Purple good clothing representations of the look I like so I suppose the smell should follow suit. Conservative business but approachable for everyday...country, athletic, elegant, and relaxed after work. Never pompous but complex...always attentive to details.
    Last edited by NicoNij; 7th November 2006 at 01:53 PM.

This suggestion isn't in the vein of a lot of the others, but your description-- "masculine but elegant (subdued), modest and confident yet oriental and myseterious"--called to mind Santa Maria Novella's Citta di Kyoto. It is not "oriental" in the perfumery sense, but maybe in a more real sense than that. I think it also fits the call in your update for something that would work with business casual.

I am worried about how "everyday" some of the scents are as my office attire is more business casual (trousers, dress shirt, sweater). Suits on occasion. I consider Paul Stuart, Canali, Zegna, Giorgio Armani and Ralph Lauren Purple good representations of the look I like so I suppose the smell should follow suit.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying in the above but you originally asked for scents that not everyone wears. The trouble with the Laurens, Armanis, Zegnas is that everyone does wear these fragrances (Calvin Klein's also). If you want to break away from the pack you have to forget these designer houses.

If you are interested in VC&A you should be aware that there is an old and a new version and that they are distinguished by the presence of the words 'pour homme' on the bottle and box. (The new has it.) Most of the recommendations are for the old one.

cheers

Eluard

You are correct. I was naming those brands as clothing I like to give people an idea of image.

how about l'homme sage? just got a sample of it, and it's definitely classy, masculine, and smells like it could be pretty versatile, though not having a more of it, its hard to say. definitely won't smell like everyone else...
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

This is the direction I'm heading towards next based on recommendations as well as reading reviews:
    I am really interested in sampling Lalique pour homme, L'essence de Declaration, Santos Concentree, Lanvin L'homme, Kiton Men and Tiffany Men. After smelling, I prefer something a bit more modest. Some that didn't make the list include: Knize Ten (a bit too strong)..reminded me of band-aids. I requested for something tobacco and was given what I believe was Tabac (not sure which one) but was told it was pure tobacco. However, I did not feel comfortable in it and I think what I am looking for is something more smokey tobacco...very faint nice cigarette/cigar smell (perhaps a subtle black & mild). My nose enjoyed Celine but sidelined it since I wanted something with maturity, complexity and more power to it. I feel elegance and taste and more refined in modesty BUT not timid. I want something with character and says I have money and power but I don't need to show off. The difference btwn new wealth achievers (flaunting labels/brands and gaudy), which I detest and those with experience and taste don't need to be as flamboyant. So based on some of the reviews - the previously listed, Weil PH and Van Cleef seem the direction I want to head. I really want to try Creed (M.I, green irish,bois portugal), Hermes and Givenchy scents. Favorites so far have to be Weil but I worry about it staying power. Still need to test these on the skin though.
    Last edited by NicoNij; 7th November 2006 at 05:53 PM.

If you are looking for something rare with a tobacco note you should perhaps try Havana or Havana Reserva. There are lots of enthusiasts for this frag on Basenotes. It is discontinued but you can still find it around. And because it's discontinued you are unlikely to encounter anyone else wearing it. I'd say it would suit your requirements perfectly: very masculine, no nonsense, serious frag.

Boucheron PH EDP.