Code of Conduct

Default Aftershave Balms, can they be used as hand lotions?

My hands have been sort of chapped ever since it started getting cold. Now, since most scented lotions are feminine in nature, I was wondering if I could use aftershave balms for moursturizing lotions for my hands. If so, anything you guys reccomend that isnt too greasy?

Thrax

Default Re: Aftershave Balms, can they be used as hand lotions?

My hands do this as well. I use my Dolce and Gabanna aftershave as lotion all the time. You will be suprised how long your hands smell like the aftershave.

I never thought of this. Now I'll have a use for the aftershave balms I have left over from the frags I traded away. thanks

I use Burberry Brit aftershave balm and then spray my Rochas Man and it lasts x2 and smells more mature.

Loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet
    My hands have been sort of chapped ever since it started getting cold. Now, since most scented lotions are feminine in nature, I was wondering if I could use aftershave balms for moursturizing lotions for my hands. If so, anything you guys reccomend that isnt too greasy?
    i use this perry ellis stuff i picked up like... 6 years ago now... as sunscreen. the bottle just wont end!

You could use the after shave balms for this, but my recommendation
    is to get a small bottle of Neutrogena hand lotion. Very good stuff, and
    not too greasy once it absorbs into the skin. I also think the Glycerin
    Hand and Body Lotion from Anthony Logistics is a good body moisturizer.

Perhaps some obvious advice, but don't do this if you know you'll be cooking or handling food later in the day: you're Schnitzel might end up with sillage .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Sometimes I just want a hint of scent on me and not "full-on," so I use most of my after shave balms as body lotions. Otherwise, I'll never use them up completely before they turn. Also, some scents just smell better to me in a different concentration, as in an after shave balm. Prada comes to mind here.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Use an alcohol-free a.s., else you'll just exacerbate matters. (Alcohol just dries out your skin, making it even more prone to cracking/chapping.)

As hand creams go: Nivea works well, as does Neutrogena. Avon's Silicone Glove is a perennial favorite. Simethicone-based lubricant/preservative (used for both sex and leather goods, incl. shoes) is my favorite right after the three listed above, but bear in mind that it be a little TOO slick sometimes, and takes forever to wash off.

You can always add a little essential oil or edp/parfum to any of the ones listed above, but that's up to you. (Again, I'd just avoid alcohol because of its astringent effects.) A lot of people here on Basenotes (myself included!) actually LIKE the smell of Nivea hand cream in and of itself, btw.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

Wow guys, this is an excellent idea! I've been turned off by some gift sets that have aftershave BALM instead of splash (because I could use the splash as a regular frag). Never thought of using the balms as lotion. That sure could boost the longevity of my Clinique Happy & Azzaro Chrome!

Oh, and as for hand creams...do try the Hemp Chanvre cream from The Body Shop. It's kinda pricey, but the tube goes a LONG way as just a little dab is enough to thoroughly moisturize your hands.
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 6th November 2006 at 05:01 PM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet
    But honestly, why would anyone want to do this? Sure, it's possible, but hand lotion is much more suited to the job. Other posters have mentioned Neutogena (my own personal favorite), Nivea, Avon Silicone Glove, and Body Shop's Hemp - they're all pretty good. Body Shop also used to make a Hawthorn hand lotion - they may still do, for all I know - and this was also pretty good.

Those sound like good ideas, I think I'll drop by Walgreens and the Body Shop and pick up some stuff. Thanks.