Code of Conduct

Default Updated new guy thoughts, and narrowing it down

Some of you may have seen and posted in my first thread - thanks to those who did. For those who didn't, I was basically doing the same tell me what to buy thing as everyone else. The general consensus was that sampling is very important, so I decided to do that. Thanks to guys here, I got a bunch of decants and samples to try out.

First, let me say that I realized something very quickly. I cannot believe how different almost all of them are on my skin than out of the bottle. When I went to Macy's, all I did was smell out of the bottle, but I'll never do that again. I would personally go ahead and say that buying based on bottle smell is worse than buying blind. At least blind you're not sure what to expect, but out of the bottle, you're expecting the wrong thing.

I'm just going to briefly describe a new guy's thoughts on some of these fragrances for anyone who wants to read. If not, feel free to scroll down if you want to address my other topic.

Burberry Brit - I was turned off by it the first time I wore it. I really got the rose people talked about, and the powdery trait is pretty clear. The second time I wore it, I liked it a lot more, and it's certainly different. My ex simply said it smelled like girl the first time, and also liked it more the second. Good sillage and longevity too.

Gucci PH - Yup, wood. That's about all I got. The longevity and sillage aren't amazing on me, but still good. My roommate's girlfriend said it smells like old people. I may not necessarily agree, but I see how others might say that.

Gucci Envy - I'm wearing it now, and it's also quite woody. Someone said on a thread somewhere it "smells like green" and I agree. Wood with the needles mixed in with it. Longevity seems good, the sillage not so great.

Azzaro Visit - Very spicy, and also really good longevity and sillage on me. Mostly spice with a hint of wood. I like it, but it might be a little too heavy on the spice, I haven't decided yet. The ex just said ew.

L'Instant de Guerlain - This taught me to understand what dry down was all about. Right out of the bottle, it smells bright and almost citrusy. But it certainly dries down to sweet woods and spice for me. I like it, but the ex screamed old people. Decent sillage, good longevity.

M7 - Very strange and intriguing. It's dark, heavy, and really projects. I think it would be too heavy during the day, but could be good at night. Similar to L'Instant in that it's sweet woods and spice, just a lot darker. Really good sillage and longevity.

Bvlgari PH Extreme - I only wore this once, and I can't think of much to say. It just smells fresh and clean. It kind of has a heavy take on fresh and clean in that it isn't the bright kind, but good in that way too. The ex just said "pretty." Not very sharp so I didn't notice much sillage myself, but good longevity.

Body Kouros - This is not for me. My roommate said it smells like insulin, and seeing as his dad uses a lot of it, I kind of trust his instinct. Even if he's wrong, I never would want to hear that again. I don't think it smells like really strong vanilla, but gives me the feeling that strong vanilla does, almost sickly sweet.

The Dreamer - I really like this one. I don't know how to explain it, I kind of think it smells floral, but really deep floral. It seems like something girls would love, and my roommates girl agreed. Really good sillage and longevity. Again, I don't know about daily wear, but definitely going out.

A*Men - Wow. This sample was randomly included, and I was excited because so many people talk about it. All I get is a ton of chocolate and coffee. One spray on my wrist and I could smell it easily from 2 feet away sitting on the couch. I had to wash it off it was so strong. I can see it being good, I just don't want to smell like coffee and chocolate. I guess gourmonds aren't my thing.

That's it for my run on winter prospects. I'm still going to test more since I have 1/3oz decants of many of them, but I don't know if it will help. I just can't narrow it down. I was planning on finding 2, and then 2 more when the warmer seasons come, but I like too many. I've pretty much decided on The Dreamer as one, and that can be for anytime going out I think. I also really like M7, L'Instant, Visit, and Envy, but they're all woodsy kinda with different spins on it, and I don't want to spend that much on all of them. Gucci PH, in my opinion, doesn't offer a spin like the others. And then I'm considering Brit because it's different from the bunch, but the powdery dry down might be too much. I don't really care if my ex likes it, she's just the most convenient female opinion. I'm thinking her likes are pretty limited though.

Again, I'm 19 in college and new to this. Before getting the decants, I wore Hugo Boss everyday for 5 years. I know this is long and doesn't really boil down to anything specific, but it's the best I have to contribute to the forum right now. Maybe some sort of discussion will start like my other thread, maybe not. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by gbaltzer; 7th November 2006 at 05:40 AM.

Default Re: Updated new guy thoughts, and narrowing it down

Good post.

Good post and welcome. You starting off right buy diving in and testing scents before you buy them. It took me 300 post before I knew I needed to due this! Keep doing what your doing and let us know.

good post: keep up the good work!

Great post .

And yes welcome to Basenotes
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

good post, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Great post, great testing, great thoughts, and great writing. Hope you stick around and tell us more of your nose travels.

I'm hooked on L'Instant PH these days myself. It gets better with every wearing and seems as timeless as scents thirty years old. Perfect stuff. The ex thinks it smells old? Makes sense that she's an ex, dude!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I really like reading these "first impression" posts, as folks new to the game first start to try to put their perceptions into words. I have to say though, I definately disagree with your ex on some of her observations (but that's all subjective). Good thing she's an ex, I guess . Keep having her sniff stuff until she opens up a bit (she seems rather quick to reject, which I think is common among the inexperienced). Or else just find someone more curious/adventurous.

Thrax

Glad someone else things that Envy is green. It's longevity is nice though. It's just.....well....green.

Good post. Your post is much better and a lot more useful than most posts coming from people with so little experience. A couple of thoughts:

-You mentoned that it wouldn't help to keep testing out of your decants, but I think otherwise. Over the course of multiple wearings one's perception can change a ton regarding a scent. Definately don't give up after one wearing ever. And if you really decide you don't like any of the scents, you can try swapping the decants for different scents.

-Honestly, don't listen to your ex. First of all, she seems a bit close minded and quick to judge (I know, I'm being a bit hypocritical). Secondly, it is a lot different for someone to sit there and smell scents as you spray them on than for some one to smell them on you any number of hours after application (which is how people will smell scents on you most of the time). After the top notes dissipate, the sillage will have died down a lot, the harshness of the alcohol and the topnotes will have faded, and the scent will have blended with your body chemistry. This makes a huge difference in how scents smell. I bet that if someone smelled those scents on you after they dried down a bit they wouldn't have the reaction that your roommate/ex had. Keep testing my man.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I plan on continuing to test them and see which grows on me the most. My problem isn't that I don't like them, it's that I like too many. And I'm not really putting much weight on my ex's opinion. Like I said, I don't really care if she likes it (rightfully so). However, I did make sure the drydown sunk in a bit for most of the opinions. I'd put it on in the morning and get the opinion in class a couple hours later. Also, she's kind of immature, so it doesn't surprise me that her taste reflects that. She'd probably love AdG. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by gbaltzer
    Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I plan on continuing to test them and see which grows on me the most. My problem isn't that I don't like them, it's that I like too many. And I'm not really putting much weight on my ex's opinion. Like I said, I don't really care if she likes it (rightfully so). However, I did make sure the drydown sunk in a bit for most of the opinions. I'd put it on in the morning and get the opinion in class a couple hours later. Also, she's kind of immature, so it doesn't surprise me that her taste reflects that. She'd probably love AdG. We'll see how it goes.
    If you like those scents so much, you might REALLY like some of the hundreds of better scents that are out there. But I guess you have to ask yourself- will you be happy with just having a few dependable scents, or is it your destiny to become a Basenotes junky?

Very true, I see what you're saying. As of now, I'm leaning toward trying to get a nice dependable and versatile small set of scents. I can't ignore the expense of being a junkie. I'm still new, so we'll see how much this subject grabs me, but I'm not ready for that yet. Even for a new guy with my small set of fragrances, it costs about $40 for a set of decants like I got, and then upwards of $100 to get the best of the bunch in bottles. And then there's next season :P If I got near a multitude of other great scents, I'm not sure what I'd do. These 8 or so are tough to narrow down as it is

Welcome !

You are off to a flier - thats definitely a good starter batch !
    -