Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Luca Turin - Folio Zurich, Current Issue

November 2006:

An open letter to Mr Harf

By Luca Turin

"A strange thing happened recently, which you may find interesting: Lancôme released La Collection, a set of five classic fragrances restored to full glory..... "

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...bbe45eda2.aspx
    Last edited by narcus; 6th December 2006 at 01:26 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: Luca Turin - Folio Zurich, Current Issue

Thanks Narcus! Great posting. However, I doubt if Mr. Harf will be persueded by the sentence: "Coty fragrances have been crap for twenty years".
    Enough arrogance in it to chase him into the curtains, so to speak
    Never heard of honey, dear Luca?
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Post Thanks / Like

Great post narcus. Let's hope Turin is listened to.

Nice post from you Narcus!
    Besides Coty, I'm not sure if at Lancôme they're happy to have been defined as "a second-rank name in fragrance"...
    However, what is true, is that Lancôme re-launch is very nice: so good to see back on stage juices like sagamore!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    Great post narcus. Let's hope Turin is listened to.
    Well, they might. Remember the Guerlain letter campaign he initiated (boy, he should have invited us to it !) ? Guerlain were mad with him, but evidently they took the message to heart. Industry people can't afford to bear a grudge for long. And they see that LT not just laments, but shows them the way out of a crisis (their own!). I bet Turin could just go and do it for them. He does use clear language. It's the priviledge of a fearless man, and the virtue of a maitre.
    (btw - has anybody started reading his book yet?)
    Last edited by narcus; 7th November 2006 at 12:09 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    (btw - has anybody started reading his book yet?)
    Yes for months already!! I was bad in chemistry at school so reading this in English (not my first language as you might have noticed ), is rather, eh...difficult. But I bet you guys will love it. The pieces that are a bit easier to understand for me are great to read. That man has a wit like a razorblade.

Default Re: Luca Turin -- Folio Zurich, Current Issue

Exactly which five fragrances did Lancôme re-release? Were Sagamore and/or Balafre among them?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    Yes for months already!! I was bad in chemistry at school so reading this in English (not my first language as you might have noticed ), is rather, eh...difficult. But I bet you guys will love it. The pieces that are a bit easier to understand for me are great to read. That man has a wit like a razorblade.
    Actually I thought English was your first language. You and narcus write more polished prose than many a native English speaker. There are many that you put to shame, in fact.

My copy of the book is on the way, so I'm looking forward to it.

On the Lancome's: I looked for them a few months ago and couldn't find them, so it's unclear if they have a wide availability outside Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Exactly which five fragrances did Lancôme re-release? Were Sagamore and/or Balafre among them?
    From Nowsmellthis:
    "In 2005, Lancôme began to reissue some of their classic fragrances under the line La Collection Lancôme. The initial set included Magie, Climat (1967), Sagamore (1985) and Sikkim (1971). In 2006, they added Mille et Une Rose, a reissue of 1999's 2000 et une Rose".

Added info: look at:http://www.lancome-usa.com/_us/_en/f...collection.htm

The Collection now sold is without Sagamore! Only:Climat, Magie, Mille & Une Roses, and Sikkim. And they only ship to US addresses.
    Last edited by Riannon; 8th November 2006 at 06:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

December 2006
    His column on perfumes and the industry
    FOLIO, a monthly supplement to NZZ Zurich

L’Artisan Parfumeur 30 years later

Last edited by narcus; 4th December 2006 at 08:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update, narcus. I await all of his monthly installments with bated ... eyes(?).

So, he likes Dzing!, Timbuktu and Premier Figuier (so much, he named it twice).
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    ... Premier Figuier (so much, he named it twice).
    I thought it was strange at first that he named it twice...but after reading his book, it sort of makes sense. His book, by the way, was definitely interesting, but unfortunately repetitive of Chandler Burr's book...so only read one of them.

Luca Turin manages to hit the nail on the head most of the time and he has the clout and audacity to initiate some of the changes that he would like to see. I thought that his letter to Mr. Harf was remarkably restrained: Coty HAS been producing "crap" - to use a polite term - for the last two decades. I remember the beauty and luxury of the best of Coty's scents: my grandmother wore the regal and opulent l'Origan while an aunt wore the sexy and daring Emeraude. My mother loved the soft and romantic L'Aimant. I was fortunate enough to have been able to sample Chypre, La Rose Jacquminot and Jasmin de Corse in the late fifties when these fragrances still retained some of their former glory. Francois Coty would be rolling in his grave if he could see what has become of his company; after all, Coty was on par with Guerlain and I remember reading that Jacques Guerlain's wife's favourite scent was Chypre. How wonderful it would be to have re-creations of all these perfumes!

Does anyone have the link to the archive of his old blog? It was interesting reading and I keep wanting to refer to it or read parts of it again. I certainly don't agree with him all the time, but his writing never fails to make me think about fragrance in new ways.
    -Slim

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be directed to the LT typepad archive here:

http://lucaturin.typepad.com/

(Google recommended, in this particular case the BN search machine would have helped also).

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh
    His book, by the way, was definitely interesting, but unfortunately repetitive of Chandler Burr's book...so only read one of them.
    Welcome sofresh! I do not know which of his books you are referring to. If it's 'The Secret of Scent' I wonder if you skipped over 150 pages all too quickly. No pun intended.

narcus
    Last edited by narcus; 5th December 2006 at 02:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just read the first 15 pages at a bookstore. I liked it, a lot. His prose is daringly funny and educational, both. I wonder what it would have been liked taking a class from him?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome sofresh! I do not know which of his books you are referring to. If it's 'The Secret of Scent' I wonder if you skipped over 150 pages all too quickly. No pun intended.

narcus
    Has he written any other books?

Quote Originally Posted by opalsdad
    Luca Turin manages to hit the nail on the head most of the time and he has the clout and audacity to initiate some of the changes that he would like to see. I thought that his letter to Mr. Harf was remarkably restrained: Coty HAS been producing "crap" - to use a polite term - for the last two decades. I remember the beauty and luxury of the best of Coty's scents: my grandmother wore the regal and opulent l'Origan while an aunt wore the sexy and daring Emeraude. My mother loved the soft and romantic L'Aimant. I was fortunate enough to have been able to sample Chypre, La Rose Jacquminot and Jasmin de Corse in the late fifties when these fragrances still retained some of their former glory. Francois Coty would be rolling in his grave if he could see what has become of his company; after all, Coty was on par with Guerlain and I remember reading that Jacques Guerlain's wife's favourite scent was Chypre. How wonderful it would be to have re-creations of all these perfumes!

It's information and opinion such as this that makes Basenotes a wonderful resource for our little hobby. Thank you, sir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh
    Has he written any other books?
    A perfume guide in the nineties. The cover of his new book refers to that, and LT also mentions it somewhere inside. It had been published in France. Early this year, some lady offered her own English translation of it in the BN forum. But there was a problem with it. She failed to obtain authorizations, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    ...I wonder what it would have been liked taking a class from him?
    I am inspired by your enthusiasm, as always! Download his flexitral.typepad.pdf if you can, it's like a perfume guide re-written, plus classes on it.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th December 2006 at 09:32 PM.

Oh, using a word like 'crap' disrupts the texture of the discourse in a way that might not add anything other than a measure of disrespect, especially in the context of an open letter. I would have rather read "sh*t" than "crap", or else something polite.
    Last edited by supermarky; 6th December 2006 at 11:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am inspired by your enthusiasm, as always! Download his flexitral.typepad.pdf if you can, it's like a perfume guide re-written, plus classes on it.
    One of the first things I downloaded after reading The Emperor of Scent!

Post Thanks / Like

Folio January 8, 2007
    'The Perfume' (German)
    Turin talking about the various perfumes from Laudamiel & Hornetz inspired by the film (big praise!). But the paper entered the wrong link to the English translation:

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...43d87e33f.aspx

I think, an error occurred. That article had been released before! Here should be: 'The Perfume', English text version instead.

Schmerz – NZZ Folio 01/07
    L’Artisan Parfumeur 30 years later
    By Luca Turin

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...62390bab1.aspx

Last edited by narcus; 7th May 2007 at 07:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    From Nowsmellthis:
    "In 2005, Lancôme began to reissue some of their classic fragrances under the line La Collection Lancôme. The initial set included Magie, Climat (1967), Sagamore (1985) and Sikkim (1971). In 2006, they added Mille et Une Rose, a reissue of 1999's 2000 et une Rose".

Added info: look at:http://www.lancome-usa.com/_us/_en/f...collection.htm

The Collection now sold is without Sagamore! Only:Climat, Magie, Mille & Une Roses, and Sikkim. And they only ship to US addresses.
    If you start from www.lancome.com, you can choose your country. The UK shop online did not have the 'La Collection' set, but the French one does:
    http://www.lancome.fr/_fr/_fr/catalog/product1.aspx?prdcode=08895c&CategoryCode=AXEFragr ance^F1_lacollection^F2_coffret&vname=name&

I can only read French and English, so I didn't check the other sites.

Post Thanks / Like

The Perfume's Perfumes

Luca Turin's January essay. Link now corrected:

"I’ll start with an admission: I couldn’t finish Patrick Suskind’s book, and won’t see the movie until they show it on airplanes and I’m stuck in 44F. The sex-drugs-and-minuet thing bores me....."
    more: http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/d80bd71b-...62390bab1.aspx
    Last edited by narcus; 7th May 2007 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Narcus! I liked this issue a lot. Say what you will about the good doctor, he can write!

Post Thanks / Like

New in March:

Luca Turin gets a whiff of Calvin Klein 1

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/21b625ad-...17817ed25.aspx
    Last edited by narcus; 7th May 2007 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dottore Turin shines again. Great prose, love the metaphor (a chemical time machine which freezes time--for the wearer--eternally at 8am).

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

New in March:

Luca Turin gets a whiff of Calvin Klein 1

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/21b625ad-...17817ed25.aspx
    thank you Narcus. Much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Due Credit : the 'cleaned ' Mitsouko is not so bad after all!

Luca Turin in Folio - April 2007

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/21b625ad-...672b2bac9.aspx
    Last edited by narcus; 7th May 2007 at 07:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you thought there is only one Chanel No 5....

Luca Turin in Folio - May 2007
    Reviewer Heaven

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/21b625ad-...54cff6a1e.aspx
    Last edited by narcus; 7th May 2007 at 07:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting narcus.

Hey, Luca likes Amouage Gold too .
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A twofer! I was looking for the Matisse quote earlier, but I wanted to also thank Narcus for his continued diligence and then I see your quote. Excellent.

Wink Re: Luca Turin - Folio Zurich, Current Issue

"The range of abstract and real, old and new is a perfect showcase of what makes modern perfumery exciting, from strange and powerful synthetics to exotic, top-flight naturals." Luca Turin
    Great explanation of the post-Guerlain perfume world.

Post Thanks / Like

I just stumbled upon some reviews Luca Turin has written in a webmagazine called Park Avenue. I see no translations, but for those who are familiar with German text, these warrant enjoyable reading. LT has a few stunning comparisons at hand, like often before. The play with words is exceptionally elegant, and maybe the same translator has contributed to the latter as much as he does when translating the Folio Essays into German. Perfect translations are hardly ever verbal translations.

Last edited by narcus; 4th June 2007 at 07:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Perfume - he finally saw the movie :

Luca Turin in Folio - June 2007

"Not Even Wrong "

http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/21b625ad-...54cff6a1e.aspx

Lol, that was the funniest take on that movie I've read sofar. Thanks for posting!

He bypassed an essential part of the story though, which is that the main character has no smell of his own. As a result, Grenouille is a social outcast: he tries to "regain" his humanity by creating a personal smell that everyone will find irresistible. Unfortunately, that part of the storyline is not very clear in the movie (but it's there).

And the analogy with Archangel Gabriel taking fencing lessons is a bit weird. Grenouille doesn't go to Baldini to learn about perfumery - all he needs to know from him is how to distill things. And the Archangel traditionally depicted with a sword, isn't that Michael instead of Gabriel?

Agree on the nonsense in the "accurate idea of the power of fragrance". It's just a great horror tale.
    Last edited by Marcello; 4th June 2007 at 11:14 AM.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
    Lol, that was the funniest take on that movie I've read sofar. Thanks for posting!

He bypassed an essential part of the story though, which is that the main character has no smell of his own. As a result, Grenouille is a social outcast: he tries to "regain" his humanity by creating a personal smell that everyone will find irresistible. Unfortunately, that part of the storyline is not very clear in the movie (but it's there).

And the analogy with Archangel Gabriel taking fencing lessons is a bit weird. Grenouille doesn't go to Baldini to learn about perfumery - all he needs to know from him is how to distill things. And the Archangel traditionally depicted with a sword, isn't that Michael instead of Gabriel?

Agree on the nonsense in the "accurate idea of the power of fragrance". It's just a great horror tale.

He mentions where the birth took place, and I remember having trouble suspending disbelief at that point also in the book.

Any archangel taking lessons from us again demands a stretch and Luca uses this as an example. I wish I could have read the book in German because for the love of God it was slow going reading the same thoughts expressed from every point on the compass and some only found in 3 D spaces in English.

It was a poorly conceived story of horror, suspense, or crime and bustiers as read in english, and I never had an inkling of interest in the movie. Luca could have saved a lot of time when offered water, if he excused himself and found decent comestables elsewhere.

I greatly appreciate the opportunity provided by narcus each time he updates this area and do love Luca's writing, — Patrick Suskind — meh.

Perfume deserves a better told tale, well written and I'm sure it will be done soon, lets hope a basenoter is at the helm.

Last edited by fredricktoo; 4th June 2007 at 01:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    ...Any archangel taking lessons from us again demands a stretch and Luca uses this as an example. I wish I could have read the book in German because for the love of God it was slow going reading the same thoughts expressed from every point on the compass and some only found in 3 D spaces in English.
    No you do not wish that! This was perhaps the worst German text I ever saw printed. I might wish to say:'Ravel's Boléro in the most uninspiring prose one can imagine'. But then people might still read a secret compliment into it. A compliment I couldn't pay. That said, I was impressed how the filmmakers and our hero, Ben Wishaw translated a deadly fascination with smell into pictures. I hadn't expected to see that. The music is exceptionally good also. I wouldn't mind swapping 4711 for a copy of the DVD .
    Last edited by narcus; 4th June 2007 at 02:14 PM.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    No you do not wish that! This was perhaps the worst German text I ever saw printed. I might wish to say:'Ravel's Boléro in the most uninspiring prose one can imagine'. But then people might still read a secret compliment into it. A compliment I couldn't pay. That said, I was impressed how the filmmakers and our hero, Ben Wishaw translated a deadly fascination with smell into pictures. I hadn't expected to see that. The music is exceptionally good also. I wouldn't mind swapping 4711 for a copy of the DVD .
    Luca summed things up so nicely about the film. I only wish Patrick Suskind was a fan of such brevity. I'll force my self to watch only because I want to see Dustin Hoffman as Giuseppe Baldini. I hope it's just a cameo and I can turn it off after.
    The soundtrack on CD I'll listen to.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks narcus - hilarious...love his wit.

Post Thanks / Like

The role of 'dirty' smells in perfumery:

Luca Turin in Folio - September 3, 2007

"open"

The role of 'dirty' smells in perfumery:

Luca Turin in Folio - August 6, 2007

"État Libre d'Orange"

The trend to smell clean :

Luca Turin in Folio - July 2, 2007

"Clean"

original German: "Duftnote -- Wie riecht sauber?"

click here for 'clean'
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd September 2007 at 04:44 PM.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Narcus, as always, thank you immensely for bring Luca's work to our attention. Ahhh to live and love in Switzerland. Those cheeses and watches and stores.! Maybe in my next life.

Post Thanks / Like

Luca Turin in Folio - September 3, 2007

"Calone"
    like a a rumor

"In August 1966, chemists at the drug giant Pfizer filed a patent for a strange
    molecule that looked like a tranquilizer (distantly related to Valium) and smelled
    like nothing on earth, or “melon” as they prosaically described it....."

__________________________________________________ ____________________

flashback, September 2006:
    " Blue "

( about Lavender and the monks of Caldey Island )

Last edited by narcus; 3rd September 2007 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Narcus.

I love his writing, its over so quickly though, wish there was more.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Narcus - love reading Turin, agree with hirch...too short. I can't WAIT for Turin's guide to be published!

Thanks for the links!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, guys! I am glad there are people who still enjoy him after the weekend... .
    The Folio deal is: four hundred words, no more. I also believe this suits him just fine. Brevity and precision seem to be his special strength. On his own blog he had all the space he wanted, but never wrote lengthy paragraphs, and got straight to the point in his comments. And the blog itself never had one anniversary even! I was so disappointed to see its end the moment I decided to join in. His reviews in 'Parfums: Le Guide' are often miniatures, but admirably focused. I shall be surprised if his English language guide will have half a page or more devoted one perfume. Still, I am looking forward to its release as if it were a Harry Potter.
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd September 2007 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks for posting, Narcus! Turin's columns are always a joy to read. I'm very much looking forward to his book too. If I'm not mistaken, the target date for publication is april 2008.

Check out some sample reviews of the forthcoming "Perfumes: The Guide" here:

http://www.perfumestheguide.com/samplereviews.html

(sorry if this has been posted before, I've been away for a while)

best,
    Marcello
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
    Thanks for posting, Narcus! Turin's columns are always a joy to read. I'm very much looking forward to his book too. If I'm not mistaken, the target date for publication is april 2008.

Check out some sample reviews of the forthcoming "Perfumes: The Guide" here:

http://www.perfumestheguide.com/samplereviews.html

(sorry if this has been posted before, I've been away for a while)

best,
    Marcello
    Good, the reviews will have star ratings now. 3/5 for a 'Goutal classic' seems a bit low though ...
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Luca Turin in Folio - October 4, 2007

Eminences Grises

Effect materials

"Science often works like that: you think you’ve cracked a problem and feel ready to turn on cruise control to coast for a while,
    when a strange fact comes up, sits at the back of the lecture hall and asks a question that reveals the depth of your ignorance..."

__________________________________________________ ____________________

flashback, October 2006:

Guerlain's Biogenetic Law

Insolence

Alle Artikel auch auf deutsch
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd October 2007 at 09:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I would always forget about these otherwise. I wish they were much longer, just when it gets interesting, it's over.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

A prelude to being able to explain the world metaphorically--the most immediate,
    compelling, and powerful form of comprehension--is the ability to grasp the world and its complexity metaphorically. This is Turin's strength as a writer.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 2nd October 2007 at 02:20 PM.

Are "Scent enhancers" the olfactory equivalent to flavor enhancers like MSG? You can't taste it, but you know it's there, especially if you wake up the next day with a headache.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post.

The last part of the article - the admission that certain perfumers cannot smell certain molecules because they don't 'get' them is something I have always wondered about. However, I think just the fact that a perfumer cannot smell a particular molecule actually in itself becomes a signifier of the absence of something, therefore they can 'recognize' it - is fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    "Science often works like that: you think you’ve cracked a problem and feel ready to turn on cruise control to coast for a while,
    when a strange fact comes up, sits at the back of the lecture hall and asks a question that reveals the depth of your ignorance..."
    I recently bought "The Pleasures of Finding Things Out", a compilation of short works by Richard Feynman. I see more and more parallels between Turin's writing and Feynman's style (although the latter didn't take his grammar too seriously).

BTW, thank you for posting!
    Last edited by Marcello; 2nd October 2007 at 10:36 PM.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Our fellow New Yawka was one brilliant physicist who I'm sure Luca would have given his seat to.

worked on da bomb

figger'd out why the first space shuttle exploded and was either loved or hated after that.

If you can get your hands on....

probably on you tube...

man loved his orange juice and drums in his later years dangling over Big Sur.

Post Thanks / Like

Luca Turin in Folio – November 5, 2007

Dreamjob

Perfumer

"…Last week I visited two US universities, MIT and Georgetown, to give talks and meet graduate students on their way
    to molecular biology and chemistry PhDs. On both occasions, I was approached by students (one from Lausanne,
    one from Beirut) who, very shyly and tentatively, explained to me that their dream was to become perfumers...."

flashback, November 2006:

Open Letter to Dr. Harf / Coty

Mr Harf, it is now up to you to restore Coty’s greatness !
    ( Lancome’s restored collection of classics! )

Alle Artikel auch auf deutsch !
    Last edited by narcus; 5th November 2007 at 09:25 AM.

thanks again, Narcus! From the article:

What the world needs is an international school of perfumery where the whole complicated shebang, from art history to chemistry via composition, is taught in English to those who can pay the fees or are sent there on scholarships from perfumery firms.
    they could start by expanding the ISIPCA in Versailles with an international pendant. From what I've seen and heard, they seem to have the potential (in terms of resources and skills, not funds) to make that happen.
    Last edited by Marcello; 5th November 2007 at 11:00 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - I can just envision the faces of these science students with a passion for pefumery, finally getting a chance to talk to Luca Turin and then during the conversation he tries to talk them out of it...hilarious.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th November 2007 at 08:53 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I can easily imagine it, that's exactly why I'm not going to read the article.