Code of Conduct

Default Giorgio Beverly Hills?

I have Giorgio Beverly Hills for men the one in the yellow and white striped box and I love it, especially on the drydown.

I know they are all discontinued but they seem to have a strong following. I see a bunch of bottles of Red on ebay that sell for really high prices. I also see occasional bottles of VIP on ebay. This one sounds more interesting than Red to me by reading the notes and reviews here on Basenotes.

What do you guys think of these?

Default Re: Giorgio Beverly Hills?

I love the yellow one; Red sucks big time. (My personal opinion.) Never have understood that hooplah.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    I love the yellow one; Red sucks big time. (My personal opinion.) Never have understood that hooplah.
    Have you tried VIP?

Not familiar at all with VIP........, but I've seen reasonably priced miniatures offered here and there. Perfumebay, Emporium etc....

Actually, I'd be content as hell just to lay hands on the original again. Used to wear it exclusively 87-89'. Current asking prices are now a big hindrance obviously.........

Red did nothing for me and I've never understood the demand for it........ VIP has much more potential.........

Have never tried the V.I.P., no. Would be willing to give it a whirl. Both the Haymans have done some very nice (and highly affordable) things since the salad days of Giorgio, though.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Red for Men was one of the finest frangrances ever created. Not in my opinion, but period. Market values for the few remaining bottles that exist speak for themselves, e.g. 1stperfume has two bottles for sale currently, at $750/ea.

While fragrance is a highly personal thing, most people who trash Red for Men either don't allow it to settle (its top notes are misleading), have a knock-off (epidemic for this fragrance, largely because of its resale value -- and some of the fakes are downright atrocious) or are too used to citrusy/soapy/etc colognes to appreciate anything else.

Red for Men contained 693 ingredients and was obscenely expensive to produce. P&G discontinued it a few years after buying Giorgio BH in 1994. Except for the occasional miraculous find on eBay, the cologne simply doesn't exist any more, while the Eau de Toilette, After Shave etc still pop up for sale fairly regularly.

693 ingredients? Wow! Nevertheless, for $750, it would have to be pretty spectacular. That's six L'artisans, at least that many LVs, maybe four Malles, or a few dozen designer fragrances. I'm sure it's good, but I just can't imagine it could be THAT good. I've been there before; Jil Sander Feeling Man? Okay, but not worth the triple digit prices it often sells for around the net.

Out of curiousity, what was the retail when Red was under production?
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    693 ingredients? Wow! Nevertheless, for $750, it would have to be pretty spectacular. That's six L'artisans, at least that many LVs, maybe four Malles, or a few dozen designer fragrances. I'm sure it's good, but I just can't imagine it could be THAT good. I've been there before; Jil Sander Feeling Man? Okay, but not worth the triple digit prices it often sells for around the net.

Out of curiousity, what was the retail when Red was under production?

1stperfume is grossly overpriced and from reviews I have read the owner is a psycho too. Red can be had for less than $200 on ebay but I still don't know if it is worth it. I finally got to try VIP and it is really nice.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells
    1stperfume is grossly overpriced and from reviews I have read the owner is a psycho too. Red can be had for less than $200 on ebay but I still don't know if it is worth it. I finally got to try VIP and it is really nice.
    That makes sense; I didn't pay attention to the site name at first. We've talked about him in the City/Shopping guide area. What a strange site; sometimes they have spectacular prices (a year or so ago I got a spray bottle of Knize Ten there for about $20) but other times their prices are absurd... $750 for Red, $350 for the aforementioned Sander Feeling Man. Given how many times they screw up orders or send orders short, I'd never take the chance dropping that kind of cash over there.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho