Code of Conduct

Thread: amouage dia

Default amouage dia

I have been testing this today. I am surprised, and not a little concerned, by how much I like it. I was expecting to be undewhelmed but for me it really oozes quality with a fantastic balance.

This is how I have experienced it :

The top has a little citrus and a powdery accord, the heart fruity floral notes are subtle, not sweet and quite "french" reminding me of guerlain in a way. A really clear but subtle frankinsence note underpins the top and middle. The base woods and amber are mild and hold the smell of the middle notes well, with a gentle plumby scent blending and alternating with the amber and vetiver. Early in the drydown and also a little in the heart a beautiful patchouli note is projected which again reminds me of guerlain heritage a little. The overall effect is subtle excellence and I really think the ambition of blending eastern ingredients in a western style has been realised very well.

anyone else have thoughts on this?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 8th November 2006 at 09:49 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: amouage dia

I wore it today as my SOTD (for my birthday) as I only break it out for special occasions. The description of it from Amouage really hits the nail on the head ... luxury daywear. I can never really put into words how I feel or what notes I detect in a frag ... but your description is very accurate to me. I always feel special in kind of a "royal" way when I wear it. Funny thing is ... I can't really picture wearing it as a night scent. To me, daytime is the time it's best suited for ... but not in a "casual" setting like a bar.

Great scent but not everyone is comfortable paying over $200 for ANY scent. Whether it's worth the money or not is up to the individual. For me, it is.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I really like the Amouage scents. Dia is the most wearable, I think, but Gold Men and Silver Cologne are also quite nice. Have you tried those?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I have tried silver from a sample, as I tried dia from a sample. I liked it but in my opinion it is not in the same league as dia. I can't afford a full bottle of dia at the moment, but it is going on my list big time. Never tried gold but I have a sample of arcus which I have not tried yet.

And by the way, I forgot to mention the sandalwood!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I have tried silver from a sample, as I tried dia from a sample. I liked it but in my opinion it is not in the same league as dia. I can't afford a full bottle of dia at the moment, but it is going on my list big time. Never tried gold but I have a sample of arcus which I have not tried yet.

And by the way, I forgot to mention the sandalwood!
    Arcus is the only one I have tried, and I thought it was just ok. It has a somewhat interesting salty-geranium marine accord (which disappears fast) and some fizzy top notes.
    -

Gold is a mess

Arcus is like Erolfa in that, if I were to regularly wear a "marine scent, it would rank right up there. But, like Dia and Gold and all the others, its prohibitive price makes me ask the perennial question of "Why?"

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Off-Scenter

Wink Re: amouage dia

While Gold has always struck me as repugnant (urine, anyone?) Dia is one of my favorites. Subtle, complex, understated, and with a long and surprising development. One of the few overtly floral fragrances I've liked on myself.

Funnily enough, I prefer it during the evening!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 26th February 2007 at 02:56 AM.

don't you get any yerbamate, from dia and the gold cologne. I don't like the note... and so was turned off to both for that seems a really prominent part of them

Dia has been my holy grail fragrance from the time I first smelled it. It gets me more compliments than any other frag in my collection. Personally I find it very versatile and would wear it in any situation. My only complaint is the price, which is so high because of that crystal bottle I couldn't possibly care less about. Why not offer it in a regular bottle at a lower price?
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois