Code of Conduct

Question Are Acqua di Gio sales starting to slump?

Well, I just got back from getting the mail, expecting my LesNez samples to finally show up. And, of course, they didn't.

But I did get a postcard from Macy's. The front had the infamous print ad for Acqua di Gio. So, I flipped it over, and there was some marketing drivel, inviting me for a free sample.

Here's the original text from the postcard:

"Giorgio Armani is one of the leading fashion and luxury brands in the world today. If one were to describe the Giorgio Armani brand in three words, they would assuredly be elegance, mastery, and perfection.

Acqua di Gio for men expresses these sentiments with vitality and strength, interpreting them with fresher notes. Inspired by the Mediterranean, this fragrance leaves a memorable trail of fresh, sensuous, and sparkling notes. Acqua di Gio's aura is composed of marine notes, fruit, herbs, and woods.

Please visit our Men's Fragrance counter for your complimentary Acqua di Gio deluxe sample kit when you present this special invitation."

I knew that Acqua di Gio was in trouble. But is Acqua di Gio in that much danger of losing the #1 spot to Unforgivable or even its sister scent Armani Code? From the text of this postcard and the way it was sent out, one can only wonder...
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Are Acqua di Gio sales starting to slump?

I don't think this necessarily shows market slippage, and its certainly no indicator of desperate sales figures. Cola-Cola spends more money on advertising than anyone, and who do you think is the #1 beverage brand?

I don't know about you, but I certainly hope so!

It's true what Joel_Cairo said though, but I still think that it can be a slight indication..

Thrax

I love AdG, and I can see why it is the #1 seller. I think it has fine longevity and smells incredible. I've had 3 bottles now, and I have loved everyone of them.

I saw the TV ad for the fragrance last night, a bit weird but I actually love that commercial (but because of the music, from Oval's 94 Diskont if I'm not mistaken. A groundbreaking album for anyone interested in electronic music).

I think I have seen this mailing card as well as newspaper print ads with the same message and an invitation to get a sample for a few years now, I don't think it has anything to do with slumping sales - just another promo campaign.

In fact I got one in the mail some three or four years ago and when I was in the mall that week I stopped by the ADG counter to get a sample - the SA's told me they ran out of them shortly after the mailing and the print ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    I love AdG, and I can see why it is the #1 seller. I think it has fine longevity and smells incredible. I've had 3 bottles now, and I have loved everyone of them.
    AdG is pretty good. And its not that cheap (it retails for $55 and the scentiments.com testers are $48)
    -

AdG I would guess to still be up there with no signs of leaving. It's exactly the perfect scent for North American guys. Fresh is what people want. It's a very nice, safe, generic smell. Plus anything with the name "Armani" has this sort of mystical aura to the average person here.

It's not a bad scent, just nothing special. However, you have to understand, the average fragrance buyer owns only one fragrance and doesn't want something interesting, they want something safe, that has proven itself to be enjoyed by others.

The popular trend on these forums is to hate any fragrance which is popular, but I think it's kind of silly.

Most Calvin Kleins, JPG, AdG, Any Polo except Green, Curve, Cool Water, these are among the best selling scents in North America and they are also probably the most highly bashed fragrances on here.

Smelling a scent on everyone you come across at the bar doesn't make it a bad scent. It makes you a fragrance expert to say so apparantly, but it doesn't make sense.

The safe, fresh scents will dominate the North American market for the forseeable future I would guess.