Code of Conduct

Thread: Equipage Hermes

Default Equipage Hermes

I bought Equipage blind yesterday. I know the notes, I can imagine the smell, BUT I want to ask the community - what is the fragrance Equipage smells CLOSEST to? Jaipur? Chanel Pour Monsieur? Other?

So curious, can't wait to get it, very anxious, hence the question!

Default Re: Equipage Hermes

Smells like neither of these to me. It's one of those scents that makes profoundly different impressions on me each time I try it. It's certainly florally, last time I tried it I found the pine to be the loudest note, backed up by the carnation and quite a soapy patchouli. An older fashioned (I don't mean that in a disparaging way) not so sweet floral-aromatic. (I've seen it described elsewhere as oriental, I don't get that at all).

I think it is something like Escada Pour Homme. Equipage is a bit wetter, definitely sweeter, more complex, less spicy, and not as woody. It's a rounder, sweeter (but not sweet), no incense Escada Pour homme.

Long ago the member "opalsdad," who really knew his stuff compared L'Anarchiste to Equipage. It's not a perfect comparison, but L'Anarchiste's sort of aromatic-esque clove middle notes are a reminder of Equipage's beautiful carnation hart.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I find Equipage most similar to Monsieur de Givenchy and Eau Savage. Equipage being the most floral of them all. After a couple hours or so, all three morph into that classic 60's & 70's dry herbal aroma that sets them apart from anything offered in todays market.
    Last edited by mason; 9th November 2006 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Long ago the member "opalsdad," who really knew his stuff compared L'Anarchiste to Equipage. It's not a perfect comparison, but L'Anarchiste's sort of aromatic-esque clove middle notes are a reminder of Equipage's beautiful carnation hart.
    --Chris
    Where's opalsdad I wonder. I remember him dearly from the old Yahoo board days.

Thank you, Chris!

Hi Russlan,
    It's a bit rougher and not as sweet as Jaipur. To me, Equipage is like KL Homme, but more flowery.
    I like wearing it on warm summer evenings, whereas I like Jaipur on colder ones.
    Renato

Powdery, fern-y, carnation-y -- pure class in a bottle.
    If Hermes ever decides to discontinue this one, we should all boycott.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I just recently got rid of my Equipage bottle. It is a classy scent, but not my cup of tea at all.

I always thought it was like more refined version of Old Spice.

A little like English Leather but drier and way less citrusy. Lots of clove. Somewhat soapy.

A lot like Monsieur Galimard.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Haven't tried Monsieur Galimard yet, but -- with all the fans here on Basenotes -- I need to. Am glad to hear that it's similar to Equipage, as this gives me a better idea of what to expect. Galimards are, in general, very underappreciated scents here in the U.S., IMHO.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Haven't tried Monsieur Galimard yet, but -- with all the fans here on Basenotes -- I need to. Am glad to hear that it's similar to Equipage, as this gives me a better idea of what to expect. Galimards are, in general, very underappreciated scents here in the U.S., IMHO.
    Unfortunately it is next to impossible to find. You'll probably need to get it direct from France or from some place in Ohio, unless you spot it on ebay or get it in a trade. I've never seen it at a retail establishment.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

From the descriptions posted here I would have to agree that Equipage, my SOTD today, generates a wide range of perceptions.

To my nose it opens with a healthy dose of citrus; more than Chanel Pour Monsieur, certainly more than Le 3e Homme de Caron (aka Third Man) and L'Anachiste, my SOTDs the past two days. Equipage doesn't strike me as very sweet, especially compared to Third Man, which is loaded with vanilla and tonka. As Equipage and Third Man dry down they converge on a common floral bouquet note, sharing carnation, jasmine, and rose, with Third Man always staying sweeter. These two then diverge again far into the drydown, with Equipage featuring vetiver and patchouli while Third Man bears a sweet, ambery chypre character.

While I've been comparing Equipage with Third Man, the latter is just too sweet throughout to be an excellent comparison, even if they share many notes in common. I think that Equipage and Chanel Pour Monsieur is a more apt comparison. Indeed, Chanel PM Concentree may be an even better comparison to Equipage, though the latter is missing the herbal note that exists in Concentree.

Finally, the H&R masculine genealogy chart suggests that the closest matches to Equipage in both time and space are Monsieur Carven and Ho Hang. I happen to have both of these, so a direct comparison will be along shortly.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani
    Finally, the H&R masculine genealogy chart suggests that the closest matches to Equipage in both time and space are Monsieur Carven and Ho Hang. I happen to have both of these, so a direct comparison will be along shortly.

Jeff
    Well, the jury is in! I've had a chance to compare all three of these scents, and to my nose there is a great degree of similarity between Equipage and Monsieur Carven. They open very similarly, with Equipage a bit spicier, but then they are near identical in tne midnotes, diverging again in the basenotes, with Equipage staying a bit spicier throughout.

Ho Hang, by comparison, is a markedly more soapy floral scent, with no discernible spice, and drying down to a point some distance from the other two.

Overall, I like Equipage a touch better than Monsieur Carven, primarily due to the extra dose of spice that Equipage carries throughout its evolution.

Jeff
    Last edited by wicozani; 13th November 2006 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani
    Well, the jury is in! I've had a chance to compare all three of these scents, and to my nose there is a great degree of similarity between Equipage and Monsieur Carven.
    Are you sure it wasn't Carven Homme you tried?
    This one is similar to Envy for Men.
    Monsieur Carven is discontinued, hard to find and doesn't smell the same IMO.
    The latter is all jasmine, and not much spicy, while Équipage is carnation, very spicy and woody.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

With credit to Serpent for first pointing it out, Equipage is very close to Van Cleef & Arpels PH. I don't get any similarity to Chanel PM.

I'd have to retest to see for sure, but I think Nino Cerruti might be close.

Russlan -
    Congratulations on your purchase. And thank you for the kind mention. I know you will find Equipage to be really special. Yes, I did say that I found similarities with Anarchiste but that is not really completely accurate. There is no fragrance that is close; nothing else seems to have that seemless mixture with carnation at the heart. Extremely sophisticated and perfect for evening wear, Equipage is perfumery at its best. It compares favourably with the the finest fragrances that Dior, Guerlain, Coty and Givenchy used to produce (and is light years from the current crop of debacles that have emerged from these former topnotch houses).
    Best Wishes,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by opalsdad
    Russlan -
    Congratulations on your purchase. And thank you for the kind mention. I know you will find Equipage to be really special. Yes, I did say that I found similarities with Anarchiste but that is not really completely accurate. There is no fragrance that is close; nothing else seems to have that seemless mixture with carnation at the heart. Extremely sophisticated and perfect for evening wear, Equipage is perfumery at its best. It compares favourably with the the finest fragrances that Dior, Guerlain, Coty and Givenchy used to produce (and is light years from the current crop of debacles that have emerged from these former topnotch houses).
    Best Wishes,
    Rob
    It's a thrill to see your message, Rob - thank you, and all other gentlemen who took time to answer. Equipage should be here in couple of days already. Will post my review most definitely!

I'm a huge fan of Equipage. I agree, it is seamlessly constructed, nothing discordant and no gaps. Spicy smoothness. A masterpiece.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Are you sure it wasn't Carven Homme you tried? <snip>
    Monsieur Carven is discontinued, hard to find and doesn't smell the same IMO.
    The latter is all jasmine, and not much spicy, while Équipage is carnation, very spicy and woody.
    I am sure, for I own both, and only yesterday wore them together side-by-side (different wrists) for the first time. They are nearly identical to my nose, confirming for me the appropriateness of their extremely close positioning on the H&R masculine genealogy chart.

Jeff

Equipage has been attentuated. It's hard to get excited about it or the new Bel Ami which has had even more of the life sucked out of it.