Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Best way to apply fragrance

Hello,
    I was wondering what some general of good practices for applying fragrance to the body. I have heard many mixed techniques and was wondering if some are better than others. In particular applying, while damp out of the shower; on wrist, then rubbing together; neck; spray then walk into it; etc. Thanks!

Default Re: Best way to apply fragrance

First rule: no rubbing

I apply right out of the shower. Sometimes I put on lotion first. As long as it is unscented it should not interfere with the fragrance. The only problem with applying right after a shower is that the natural skin oils your body produces are gone. They are what mix with the fragrance to create your own, unique version of the scent when it is applied to your skin.

I do 4 sprays. Here is how I break it down:
    One to the center of the chest
    Two to the neck. One on each side of the base of the neck.
    One on center of shirt to maximize longevity.

I hope that helps.

Well first off I have found that tapping wrists together rather than rubbing them improves the fragrance.

Basenotes Institution

I think I remember reading this in GQ or Details many years ago, and I've found the advice worked for me:

1. NO MORE than 5-6 sprays (although I always break this rule when I'm sampling a new scent for the 1st time, home alone, since I really want to get the smell)

2. Apply to the 'pulse points' of your body (ie: that generate the most heat). For me (a guy) that means nipples (1 spray each) neck (1 spray) and inside of elbows (1 spray each) = 6

3. Some smaller 'tester' size or travel size scents have less liquid in 1 spray. If this is the case, I up the number of sprays to 8

4. Wear UNSCENTED deodorant - so it doesn't screw with the scent

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    2. Apply to the 'pulse points' of your body (ie: that generate the most heat). For me (a guy) that means nipples (1 spray each) neck (1 spray) and inside of elbows (1 spray each) = 6
    *checks the math*

Ewww, mikeperez23 has THREE NIPPLES! (Or three elbows...)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

after a shower:
    a spray or 2 on each side of the neck
    a spray or 3 on chest...more or less...in or out of clothing
    a spray on the head
    and on the wrists...

your routine should change depending on your scent:
    rubbed wrists or not
    scentless oil or lotion base
    etc

depends on climate too

5-6 is a good average...
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

No no no =[ I feel sorry for people that have you be around you guys if you are in a closed area. 2 sprays =[ One on the neck/chest area, and then one on the wrist (then pat wrist together).

_Maybe_ 3 if you are going to a club I guess. No one should be able to smell you more than a couple feet away. Any stronger and I guarantee you that you are pissing people off, even if they don't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw
    No no no =[ I feel sorry for people that have you be around you guys if you are in a closed area. 2 sprays =[ One on the neck/chest area, and then one on the wrist (then pat wrist together).

_Maybe_ 3 if you are going to a club I guess. No one should be able to smell you more than a couple feet away. Any stronger and I guarantee you that you are pissing people off, even if they don't say anything.
    I agree. I put on one to two sprays beneath my clothing. I cannot stand it when I can smell someone's perfume/cologne from several feet away.

I know that we're all fragrance aficionados and that we like to smell our perfume, but you have to consider that other folks in this world have asthma, allergies, or simply don't want to smell your fragrance.

Just my two cents.

Are you 5-8 spray guys wearing an undershirt, dress shirt and tie, and suit/sport coat? That seems like a lot to me, otherwise. I'd still say it would be a more judicious use of juice to do one neck shot and both wrists. Are you layering it under clothing to make it last all day? Is it an 'ooze out slowly' concept?

Most often I do two shots--one to each wrist (occasionally my ankles if Micah is home!) I find that if I spray my neck or cleavage I get nose fatigue and can't smell myself after an hour or two. If I do it on my wrists, I can catch whiffs of myself on and off all day and of course, at will if I choose to sniff.

But, women carry purses and I usually have a little something in there to refresh after lunchtime if I'm not home.

I don't carry a purse - I've never had a handbag and never will! I have a backpack. I'm definitely not a laaaaaydeee!
    For me, usually it's centre of chest and then wrists. If it's a non-spray, then I may also dab some below my navel and on the back of my neck, just below my hairline.

Not all people can get by with only a few sprays. I have to spray a lot for anyone to notice. I think if you have dry skin like me, or if you live where it is cold and dry (like me) you need a bit more. It also depends on the fragrance. It might take a while for you to really get to know how it lasts and how strong it is. Usually I shower, then apply lotion. Then I spray my chest, that area under my arms (aka side boob), back of my neck, and maybe my belly. Then after i am dressed, i hold the bottle as far away as possible and spray.
    If I am going to school or work where I will be in a crowded room, I try and use a little less. But otherwise, I am not shy with my fragrance. I like to be surrounded in a small cloud of good smelling goodness!!

Quote Originally Posted by jjw

Absolutely! My intent with a scent is to draw people in. I don't want to radiate like a heater. They'd be satisfied 10 feet away.

A scent should peak intrest and lure them in. Unless someone is within a few feet, my desired effect would be for an almost subliminal effect (at least to most persons). Intoxication should only occur when close enough to hold on!

But then, aroma therapy works similarly... unless your using camphor to clear your sinuses. You never want to announce your approach before your arrive! ;-)

I think you really need to develop a strategy based on each fragrance. Some fragrances are much more intense then others. I've one fragrance which one should not wear any more then 1 squirt, others where I can do up to 4.

I agree with the less is often more comments that some have been making about quantity. Many people put way too much fragrance on which ends up driving people away rather then drawing them in. Really, I've seen a great scent which I would otherwise love on someone turn as offensive as cigarette smoke simply through too much application. Since it is almost impossible to effectively judge this for yourself how much fragrance is a good amount I strongly suggest getting a trusted friend to give feedback.

All this being said, I put one or two on my chest/neck, holding the sprayer back a bit to get good distribution and one or two on my wrist.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

I spray more times in the winter than I do in the summer. My skin gets SOOO DRY in the winter that it literally drinks my frags. My usual "routine" is a spray on either side of my neck, a spray or two on my chest, and a spray on each forearm. I use a couple extra sprays if I'm going somewhere smokey.

I like catching whiffs of my SOTD when I move around. If I smell my SOTD while I'm sitting still at my desk, I've sprayed too much.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I do have a question about something that EnvYuS wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    First rule: no rubbing
    Why is "no rubbing" first among rules? I like to rub my fragrance around after I've sprayed it to spread it over a larger area (especially on my wrists and inside my elbows). Have I been wrong all this time?!?

I've never actually COUNTED how many sprays I typically use. Let's see:

Neck (including nape): about four (4)

Chest: about three (3)

Arms: wrist, inside of elbow, and in between those two: 3 X 2 arms = six (6)

WOW! That's THIRTEEN (13) sprays! Even I didn't know that I used that many! But I like to overdo it. I wear fragrance to get myself noticed! I don't go for this "misting" business. What's the point of wearing it if no one can SMELL or DETECT it? Also, I tend to get immune to the fragrance after a while unless it's very strong!

I should spray it more on my clothes; it REALLY lasts on fabric!

One subject that has been very, very controversial is applying fragrance to the genital area. Does anyone have an opinion on that? Seems like a good idea to me, for three (3) reasons. First, that's a warm area and the warmth will release the fragrance for people to enjoy. Second, it's also a wet area, and the alcohol in most fragrances will help to dry it out a bit. Third, things can get a bit smelly "down there," and fragrance helps to combat that a bit. Of course, I'm a guy. Any other opinions?

longevity and sillage are main components to the scents we like...some scents are very strong and don't last long and some are subtle and last 6+ hours..i found drakkar noir to be just overbearing and tested it...i splashed a small amount on a regular paper towel and placed it in my enclosed closet..and did the same and placed it in my car as an air freshener...it lasted almost a week in both locations..so for me..i wont wear this one out or to the office...

usually two sprays will do me...on the chest and stomach...i pat my hands on my chest and then put some on my neck and chin line...on strong scents this will last me a work day...on more subtle ones..im good until after lunch..and I'm fine with that..
    wolf

I have very dry skin so I spray more then most and I have trusted friends that I can ask. I mist front neck and chest once along with the back of my neck once. A spray to the outside of my wrist then I get dressed and do a walk trough. Put the bottle in my briefcase to fresh up later in the day.

A*Men is the same sans the wrist and walk trough with clothes. Many say that can't smell it so I'm adding my total to 4 sprays on the next use.
    -iStink

For strong and long lasting frags, I will spray once on each arm and once on my shirt. For shorter lasting frags I would spray about 3 on clothing and 1-2 on each arm.

It really depends on the weather too. Warmer weather requires less fragrance as it will usually have a better sillage and in some cases last longer.

Question Re: Best way to apply fragrance

I was just about to create a new thread about this, but fortunately found this one
    Anyway, I usually spray to my hands (please don't kill me, I'm a noob when it comes to this) and then apply to my neck and wrists. Sometimes I may give my clothes a spray or so.
    I don't know if it is ok to spray to my hands and then apply to body, should I apply directly to i.e. the neck? And then just leave it or rub it through the neck? Please help me on this matter.
    Best regards

Don't rub the scent into your neck, but spray directly to your neck. I think one of the Basenoters described friction as rubbing the molecules of the scent together and destroying the development of the fragrance. and Welcome to Basenotes!!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk
    after a shower:
    a spray or 2 on each side of the neck
    a spray or 3 on chest...more or less...in or out of clothing
    a spray on the head
    and on the wrists...

your routine should change depending on your scent:
    rubbed wrists or not
    scentless oil or lotion base
    etc

depends on climate too

5-6 is a good average...
    i wrote this response a while ago using prada man and other light scents

a spray on the head
    a spray on the neck
    and a spray or two on the chest
    and sometimes on the wrists...

i discovered something too, if no one has said this before...some perfume sprays give out more than others...my Mat;Very Male has a narrow and small spray dispersion...compared to Dior Homme which has a "long" spray with a wider spray area....
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Question Re: Best way to apply fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Don't rub the scent into your neck, but spray directly to your neck. I think one of the Basenoters described friction as rubbing the molecules of the scent together and destroying the development of the fragrance. and Welcome to Basenotes!!
    So, are you suggesting to just leave the scent "watered" in my neck? Because generally the perfume will leave a "watered"/wet spot (Am I making my self understood?). And thank you for welcoming me to BN

Yup, just let it dry naturally. I usually wait until my skin dries after a shower and then spray my fragrance, and wait until the 'wetness' dries before I put on my shirt. and youre welcome for the welcome

Quote Originally Posted by maia
    So, are you suggesting to just leave the scent "watered" in my neck? Because generally the perfume will leave a "watered"/wet spot (Am I making my self understood?). And thank you for welcoming me to BN
    If the fragrance leaves a "watered" spot on you then you are too close to your body when you spray it.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

When you don't expect to sweat - i.e. spending the day in your car and your office, anyone else forego deoderant/antiperspirant altogther and simply spray your fragrance in your underarms along with chest/neck/wrists?

Nope, never done that before. I always use deodorent/antiperspirant because you never know when something unsuspected might come up Be prepared, always!

Smile Re: Best way to apply fragrance

Another spot. I found it works on me. Is on your arms. If you put some on your wrist (which isn't bad) you never know when you have to wash your hands. I could smell most of my colognes all day.

Jjzerby.

I have to agree. I don't know if it was just the fact that LE MALE lasts long or where i put it..it was there for over 6 hours even after a 2 hour sweat workout..lots of sweat. I sprayed it on that large muscle on the forearm right below the elbow. the muscle where if you squeez the first, it will bulge. try a concentrated squirt there... as in..spray close.

There is so much to consider. Put lotion on if you have dry skin, take into account the weather, the humidity, how strong the fragrance is etc., but in any case five to eight sprays seems like a bit much for me unless I am going to be alone. If I am to be around other people and the scent is strong sometimes one spray is enough. If the scent is very light then maybe three or four. If I am to be alone, the skies the limit.

Personally i use 5 sprays (2 neck, 2 wrist, 1 chest).
    I like to dont touch the parfume but let it dry on my skin, in my opinion if you

A question for the experts:
    i have noticed with my last scent (opium) that after 30 minutes the smell is quite different from the wrist and the neck. Ok, to my wrist i smell it directly, instead for the neck i pass a finger on it... But also my girl noticed that there's a difference, and she said she like the smell on the neck a lot more :-)
    In the wrist it remains more deeper and strong instead in the neck it's freshier with a more "happy" note (excuse my poor english :-) Is this common? It depends on the fact that you sweat more in the neck? Do you notice the same thing, and why?