Code of Conduct

Default Best way to apply fragrance

Hello,
    I was wondering what some general of good practices for applying fragrance to the body. I have heard many mixed techniques and was wondering if some are better than others. In particular applying, while damp out of the shower; on wrist, then rubbing together; neck; spray then walk into it; etc. Thanks!

Default Re: Best way to apply fragrance

First rule: no rubbing

I apply right out of the shower. Sometimes I put on lotion first. As long as it is unscented it should not interfere with the fragrance. The only problem with applying right after a shower is that the natural skin oils your body produces are gone. They are what mix with the fragrance to create your own, unique version of the scent when it is applied to your skin.

I do 4 sprays. Here is how I break it down:
    One to the center of the chest
    Two to the neck. One on each side of the base of the neck.
    One on center of shirt to maximize longevity.

I hope that helps.

Well first off I have found that tapping wrists together rather than rubbing them improves the fragrance.

Basenotes Institution

I think I remember reading this in GQ or Details many years ago, and I've found the advice worked for me:

1. NO MORE than 5-6 sprays (although I always break this rule when I'm sampling a new scent for the 1st time, home alone, since I really want to get the smell)

2. Apply to the 'pulse points' of your body (ie: that generate the most heat). For me (a guy) that means nipples (1 spray each) neck (1 spray) and inside of elbows (1 spray each) = 6

3. Some smaller 'tester' size or travel size scents have less liquid in 1 spray. If this is the case, I up the number of sprays to 8

4. Wear UNSCENTED deodorant - so it doesn't screw with the scent

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    2. Apply to the 'pulse points' of your body (ie: that generate the most heat). For me (a guy) that means nipples (1 spray each) neck (1 spray) and inside of elbows (1 spray each) = 6
    *checks the math*

Ewww, mikeperez23 has THREE NIPPLES! (Or three elbows...)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

after a shower:
    a spray or 2 on each side of the neck
    a spray or 3 on chest...more or less...in or out of clothing
    a spray on the head
    and on the wrists...

your routine should change depending on your scent:
    rubbed wrists or not
    scentless oil or lotion base
    etc

depends on climate too

5-6 is a good average...
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

No no no =[ I feel sorry for people that have you be around you guys if you are in a closed area. 2 sprays =[ One on the neck/chest area, and then one on the wrist (then pat wrist together).

_Maybe_ 3 if you are going to a club I guess. No one should be able to smell you more than a couple feet away. Any stronger and I guarantee you that you are pissing people off, even if they don't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw
    No no no =[ I feel sorry for people that have you be around you guys if you are in a closed area. 2 sprays =[ One on the neck/chest area, and then one on the wrist (then pat wrist together).

_Maybe_ 3 if you are going to a club I guess. No one should be able to smell you more than a couple feet away. Any stronger and I guarantee you that you are pissing people off, even if they don't say anything.
    I agree. I put on one to two sprays beneath my clothing. I cannot stand it when I can smell someone's perfume/cologne from several feet away.

I know that we're all fragrance aficionados and that we like to smell our perfume, but you have to consider that other folks in this world have asthma, allergies, or simply don't want to smell your fragrance.

Just my two cents.

Are you 5-8 spray guys wearing an undershirt, dress shirt and tie, and suit/sport coat? That seems like a lot to me, otherwise. I'd still say it would be a more judicious use of juice to do one neck shot and both wrists. Are you layering it under clothing to make it last all day? Is it an 'ooze out slowly' concept?

Most often I do two shots--one to each wrist (occasionally my ankles if Micah is home!) I find that if I spray my neck or cleavage I get nose fatigue and can't smell myself after an hour or two. If I do it on my wrists, I can catch whiffs of myself on and off all day and of course, at will if I choose to sniff.

But, women carry purses and I usually have a little something in there to refresh after lunchtime if I'm not home.

I don't carry a purse - I've never had a handbag and never will! I have a backpack. I'm definitely not a laaaaaydeee!
    For me, usually it's centre of chest and then wrists. If it's a non-spray, then I may also dab some below my navel and on the back of my neck, just below my hairline.

Not all people can get by with only a few sprays. I have to spray a lot for anyone to notice. I think if you have dry skin like me, or if you live where it is cold and dry (like me) you need a bit more. It also depends on the fragrance. It might take a while for you to really get to know how it lasts and how strong it is. Usually I shower, then apply lotion. Then I spray my chest, that area under my arms (aka side boob), back of my neck, and maybe my belly. Then after i am dressed, i hold the bottle as far away as possible and spray.
    If I am going to school or work where I will be in a crowded room, I try and use a little less. But otherwise, I am not shy with my fragrance. I like to be surrounded in a small cloud of good smelling goodness!!

Quote Originally Posted by jjw

Absolutely! My intent with a scent is to draw people in. I don't want to radiate like a heater. They'd be satisfied 10 feet away.

A scent should peak intrest and lure them in. Unless someone is within a few feet, my desired effect would be for an almost subliminal effect (at least to most persons). Intoxication should only occur when close enough to hold on!

But then, aroma therapy works similarly... unless your using camphor to clear your sinuses. You never want to announce your approach before your arrive! ;-)

I think you really need to develop a strategy based on each fragrance. Some fragrances are much more intense then others. I've one fragrance which one should not wear any more then 1 squirt, others where I can do up to 4.

I agree with the less is often more comments that some have been making about quantity. Many people put way too much fragrance on which ends up driving people away rather then drawing them in. Really, I've seen a great scent which I would otherwise love on someone turn as offensive as cigarette smoke simply through too much application. Since it is almost impossible to effectively judge this for yourself how much fragrance is a good amount I strongly suggest getting a trusted friend to give feedback.

All this being said, I put one or two on my chest/neck, holding the sprayer back a bit to get good distribution and one or two on my wrist.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

I spray more times in the winter than I do in the summer. My skin gets SOOO DRY in the winter that it literally drinks my frags. My usual "routine" is a spray on either side of my neck, a spray or two on my chest, and a spray on each forearm. I use a couple extra sprays if I'm going somewhere smokey.

I like catching whiffs of my SOTD when I move around. If I smell my SOTD while I'm sitting still at my desk, I've sprayed too much.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I do have a question about something that EnvYuS wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    First rule: no rubbing
    Why is "no rubbing" first among rules? I like to rub my fragrance around after I've sprayed it to spread it over a larger area (especially on my wrists and inside my elbows). Have I been wrong all this time?!?

I've never actually COUNTED how many sprays I typically use. Let's see:

Neck (including nape): about four (4)

Chest: about three (3)

Arms: wrist, inside of elbow, and in between those two: 3 X 2 arms = six (6)

WOW! That's THIRTEEN (13) sprays! Even I didn't know that I used that many! But I like to overdo it. I wear fragrance to get myself noticed! I don't go for this "misting" business. What's the point of wearing it if no one can SMELL or DETECT it? Also, I tend to get immune to the fragrance after a while unless it's very strong!

I should spray it more on my clothes; it REALLY lasts on fabric!

One subject that has been very, very controversial is applying fragrance to the genital area. Does anyone have an opinion on that? Seems like a good idea to me, for three (3) reasons. First, that's a warm area and the warmth will release the fragrance for people to enjoy. Second, it's also a wet area, and the alcohol in most fragrances will help to dry it out a bit. Third, things can get a bit smelly "down there," and fragrance helps to combat that a bit. Of course, I'm a guy. Any other opinions?

longevity and sillage are main components to the scents we like...some scents are very strong and don't last long and some are subtle and last 6+ hours..i found drakkar noir to be just overbearing and tested it...i splashed a small amount on a regular paper towel and placed it in my enclosed closet..and did the same and placed it in my car as an air freshener...it lasted almost a week in both locations..so for me..i wont wear this one out or to the office...

usually two sprays will do me...on the chest and stomach...i pat my hands on my chest and then put some on my neck and chin line...on strong scents this will last me a work day...on more subtle ones..im good until after lunch..and I'm fine with that..
    wolf

I have very dry skin so I spray more then most and I have trusted friends that I can ask. I mist front neck and chest once along with the back of my neck once. A spray to the outside of my wrist then I get dressed and do a walk trough. Put the bottle in my briefcase to fresh up later in the day.

A*Men is the same sans the wrist and walk trough with clothes. Many say that can't smell it so I'm adding my total to 4 sprays on the next use.
    -iStink

For strong and long lasting frags, I will spray once on each arm and once on my shirt. For shorter lasting frags I would spray about 3 on clothing and 1-2 on each arm.

It really depends on the weather too. Warmer weather requires less fragrance as it will usually have a better sillage and in some cases last longer.

Question Re: Best way to apply fragrance

I was just about to create a new thread about this, but fortunately found this one
    Anyway, I usually spray to my hands (please don't kill me, I'm a noob when it comes to this) and then apply to my neck and wrists. Sometimes I may give my clothes a spray or so.
    I don't know if it is ok to spray to my hands and then apply to body, should I apply directly to i.e. the neck? And then just leave it or rub it through the neck? Please help me on this matter.
    Best regards

Don't rub the scent into your neck, but spray directly to your neck. I think one of the Basenoters described friction as rubbing the molecules of the scent together and destroying the development of the fragrance. and Welcome to Basenotes!!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk
    after a shower:
    a spray or 2 on each side of the neck
    a spray or 3 on chest...more or less...in or out of clothing
    a spray on the head
    and on the wrists...

your routine should change depending on your scent:
    rubbed wrists or not
    scentless oil or lotion base
    etc

depends on climate too

5-6 is a good average...
    i wrote this response a while ago using prada man and other light scents

a spray on the head
    a spray on the neck
    and a spray or two on the chest
    and sometimes on the wrists...

i discovered something too, if no one has said this before...some perfume sprays give out more than others...my Mat;Very Male has a narrow and small spray dispersion...compared to Dior Homme which has a "long" spray with a wider spray area....
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Question Re: Best way to apply fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Don't rub the scent into your neck, but spray directly to your neck. I think one of the Basenoters described friction as rubbing the molecules of the scent together and destroying the development of the fragrance. and Welcome to Basenotes!!
    So, are you suggesting to just leave the scent "watered" in my neck? Because generally the perfume will leave a "watered"/wet spot (Am I making my self understood?). And thank you for welcoming me to BN

Yup, just let it dry naturally. I usually wait until my skin dries after a shower and then spray my fragrance, and wait until the 'wetness' dries before I put on my shirt. and youre welcome for the welcome

Quote Originally Posted by maia
    So, are you suggesting to just leave the scent "watered" in my neck? Because generally the perfume will leave a "watered"/wet spot (Am I making my self understood?). And thank you for welcoming me to BN
    If the fragrance leaves a "watered" spot on you then you are too close to your body when you spray it.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

When you don't expect to sweat - i.e. spending the day in your car and your office, anyone else forego deoderant/antiperspirant altogther and simply spray your fragrance in your underarms along with chest/neck/wrists?

Nope, never done that before. I always use deodorent/antiperspirant because you never know when something unsuspected might come up Be prepared, always!

Smile Re: Best way to apply fragrance

Another spot. I found it works on me. Is on your arms. If you put some on your wrist (which isn't bad) you never know when you have to wash your hands. I could smell most of my colognes all day.

Jjzerby.

I have to agree. I don't know if it was just the fact that LE MALE lasts long or where i put it..it was there for over 6 hours even after a 2 hour sweat workout..lots of sweat. I sprayed it on that large muscle on the forearm right below the elbow. the muscle where if you squeez the first, it will bulge. try a concentrated squirt there... as in..spray close.

There is so much to consider. Put lotion on if you have dry skin, take into account the weather, the humidity, how strong the fragrance is etc., but in any case five to eight sprays seems like a bit much for me unless I am going to be alone. If I am to be around other people and the scent is strong sometimes one spray is enough. If the scent is very light then maybe three or four. If I am to be alone, the skies the limit.

Personally i use 5 sprays (2 neck, 2 wrist, 1 chest).
    I like to dont touch the parfume but let it dry on my skin, in my opinion if you

A question for the experts:
    i have noticed with my last scent (opium) that after 30 minutes the smell is quite different from the wrist and the neck. Ok, to my wrist i smell it directly, instead for the neck i pass a finger on it... But also my girl noticed that there's a difference, and she said she like the smell on the neck a lot more :-)
    In the wrist it remains more deeper and strong instead in the neck it's freshier with a more "happy" note (excuse my poor english :-) Is this common? It depends on the fact that you sweat more in the neck? Do you notice the same thing, and why?

Perhaps I am a bit conservative, but I do not like to wear cologne very strongly at all. Before I get dressed I spray two or three times into the air in front of me and then walk through it. Am I the only person who does this?

I do that with Kouros, but I find the technique to be fairly wasteful as I need to spray more just to get the sillage equivalent of a direct spray.

I do love the occasional splash bottle though, the scent seem more well rounded that way.

Blog Entries

I put my perfume on when I get out of the shower. I leave my skin damp. I spray my arms, chest, stomach, and my neck. I use the water left on my skin to spread the fragrance all over my body. I then mix the perfumed lotion for my SOTD with my daily lotion. Before I leave out, I give a quick spray to my neck, chest, and wrist.

So, you can say they smell me coming and going and long after I'm gone. I wear it like my late Granddaddy my Mommy says. I take a bath in it.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

hint: if you want your scent to linger just that little bit longer, try a spray into your hair (as hair holds scent extremely well, due to it's structure.)

just spray a little above your head and let it fall into your hair. clearly this doesn't help if you are bald.

i really don't think there's a hard and fast rule about how many sprays to use. it depends on the scent you're using and how well it clings to your skin - every fragrance will react differently on each person.

for example: if i use versache eau fraice, i only spray twice - once to the neck area, once to the wrist (and bring together). if i'm using vera wang i used the body lotion first on all the points i'm going to spray, then spray like five times (two at neck, elbows and one to wrists). you just need to get used to your individual reaction to each scent you use.

This all depends on 2 things with me..

1.. Where im going! (day OR night)
    2.. The fragrance

For example..

With D&G PH i can put around 14 sprays on
    (2 layers of 7 sprays.. 30 mins between each)

(Neck,chest,stomach,top of forearms and back of Knees... never on the face)

I do this 2 hours before i venture out on the town and get many compliments ..This lasts me the full 9 hrs i need... In the day i use around 5 of this fragrance..

There are only very few scents that you can over apply like this..

With Obsession OR even L'Instant Extreme i will only use 6 spray when i go out at night..

Depends on what fragrance I am using, time (night or day) and if it's Summer or winter. Usually I spray more on the winter than on the summer. To tell you the truth I never spray on the pulse points, only on my clothes. This is becasue I have extremely dry skin, even if I apply lotion on my skin. This practice can give you some trouble because it can stain your favorite shirt. However this is the only way I can get more sillage and durability. I normally spray four times: one on my chest, two on the sides of the neck, and one on the back of my neck. =)
    Hope it helps,
    optimus

I used to be very conservative about how I sprayed and how much.

Used to only be 1 on one wrist then dabbed onto the other, with another spritz onto my neck or torso area. Now that I'm finding scents just disappear on me, I'm sprayin it on like I'm applying "Off" bug repellant and I'm headed into a swamp. :-P

No one ever says that I have on too much. Most people *still* can't smell my perfume no matter how much I put on or even where. :-( I've sprayed my hair before and just end up with hair that smells like hair. My hair won't even hold fragrance.

BUT, on the upside, most guys that love me always love my "own" smell. Who needs perfume??? :-P
    (i do)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeebus View Post
    Perhaps I am a bit conservative, but I do not like to wear cologne very strongly at all. Before I get dressed I spray two or three times into the air in front of me and then walk through it. Am I the only person who does this?
    I know someone that does this and I honestly can never smell anything on him, even if it's early in the morning. I bet your carpet smells lovely though
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

for samples with no spray, i've been using a qtip to apply them to my wrist, neck, elbows, and behind the ears. is this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    I put my perfume on when I get out of the shower. I leave my skin damp. I spray my arms, chest, stomach, and my neck. I use the water left on my skin to spread the fragrance all over my body. I then mix the perfumed lotion for my SOTD with my daily lotion. Before I leave out, I give a quick spray to my neck, chest, and wrist.

So, you can say they smell me coming and going and long after I'm gone. I wear it like my late Granddaddy my Mommy says. I take a bath in it.
    I've REALLY got to try this. This sounds like perfume heaven.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

For fragrances so strong they only need one or two sprays, I do my wrists and rub my wrists behind my ears. I'm dubious of the whole "crushing the basenote molecules by rubbing" theory. I'm a n00b though, could someone explain this no rubbing rule more?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by moxie101 View Post
    for samples with no spray, i've been using a qtip to apply them to my wrist, neck, elbows, and behind the ears. is this ok?
    I can't imagine that it would ruin the scent. It seems wasteful though, since a lot of it's going to get absorbed by the cotton swab. I remember my mother would put her wrist directly to the bottle carefully and then rubbed her wrists on her neck.
    Last edited by bernat; 8th November 2007 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

As a man, i just sprayed onto my bare chest after the morning shower. 3 or 4 squirts (hehehehehehe). Then I wait for it to somewhat to dry/evaporated (1 minute or so). Only then I put on my shirt. I wear fragrance only for my self as I feel that it is useless to please everyone around you. I find it odd that some people actually do wear scent that they hate but their partner love the smell......

I posted this before:

When I wear scents to the office, I try to be conscientious of others so as not to offend. What I do is this: after towel drying out of the shower, I spray once or twice directly in front of me, wait one second, then walk through the mist. When you do this, YOU will not smell the fragrance but others will if they are within your personal space. I do not believe in heavy doses of fragrance since you are simply covering up your natural pheromone as opposed to enhancing it. Fragrance should be discovered, not announced. Nobody should smell you coming from a mile away nor smell where you have been.
    I always have many female co-workers inching up real close to me throughout the day as I can tell they are attracted to my scent as opposed to being repelled. I'm going against the grain of what others do on this board, but it has always worked wonders for me everywhere I go. I have NEVER had women complain about my scent when using this method and it's alot of fun seeing them get all worked up and aroused when I am close. The key is that YOU have to initiate contact and close up personal space.
    That's what this game is all about: seeing their eyes light up and that smile across their lips. Try it for a week and see what I mean. Remember: too much cologne is actually anti-social. It repels rather than attracts. YOU still have to do the work. Less is best and then inch closer so they'll want more. Seriously, would you rather have a girl TELL you that you smell great from across the room, or have her SHOW you that you smell great to your face?

Depends on the strength of the scent. On average I spray once in the centre of the chest, then one spray on the wrists and dab them together. If I think I can get away with it I also spray the crooks of my elbows. I love those days!

Quote Originally Posted by moxie101 View Post
    It's OK but you are probably wasting a lot of the juice because it gets absorbed by the cotton.
    Do you find you get enough on your skin to truly sample the fragrance that way?

Welcome to Basenotes!

Eric
    Last edited by evogel; 17th January 2008 at 07:14 PM.

i tried 13 spritz with gucci pour home II so thats, 2 wrist 2 inside elbow 2 on forearm <-- really works great! 2 chest 2 base neck and 1 behind my neck and for the last touch i spritz in the air above my hair and let it just fall down on my hair <-- works v nice also..

but i was thinking of spritzing also in the jingle area
    Last edited by You? Me?; 18th January 2008 at 10:37 AM.

I usually go one on the neck.... one on chest... and used to put on wrists and rub, but you guys said that's bad so i think ill put one on each side instead of rubbing =X

Blog Entries

I took some advice from reading around. My skin at this time of the year drinks up fragrances like crazy and they'll disappear in a short amount of time and/or not project at all. The first cologne I bought was JPG Le Male. That should project and stick right? Well, it did stick, but it doesn't project. I don't wanna knock out everyone in the room, but I just want someone to pass by and get a hint of it while still knowing it came from me. Otherwise, why would I buy the good stuff?

Anyhoo, I bought some Neutrogena body oil, unscented (it's made of sesame) since I think my skin's a lot drier than usual during the winter time. Today, I tested out L'Eau Par Homme by Kenzo. The last time I tried this, it practically disappeared in 1-2 hours. So I just sprayed whatever's left in my sample I got from a store a while back and tried only once since then. The scent projected a little better to my nose and it lasted a a good 3-4 hours and probably linger a bit longer until I took a shower.

I used the rest of my Terre D'Hermes sample before I went out, but also added a couple more sprays from a real bottle at a Sephora in the same shopping center as the theater before I went to the movies. A friend of mine could smell a hint of it 3-4 feet away, so I was happy that a scent actually projected for once. Last time a scent did was when I wore Bvlgari Aqva. I spray the chest area mostly and a couple sprays on the neck along with the inner elbows. I didn't realize how much dryer my skin is during the winter (this is California winter, no lower than 35 degrees F, but still fairly cold), so it even drinks up something like Le Male with 3-4 sprays to a point where I have to be nuzzled by someone or cover my face in my shirt to smell it after a couple hours. The body oil I bought should solve that though.

I almost always spray twice on the neck. I don't spray on my chest (not exposed) or wrists (too little space to work with).

I also almost always pair the fragrance up with the body wash and deodorant.

Neck, back of neck, wrists. Sometimes chest and elbows. Genitals if I'm feeling frisky

Well I'm kind of new but here's what I've developed so far:
    It all depends on where I'm going and how much scent I want to radiate (or, in other words, my mood).
    The most important area to spray is the chest, with at least 2 sprays. Then, depending on how much fragrance you want for the day, you can apply even more to the chest, spray 1 or 2 to the neck, 1 or 2 to the back of the neck, one to each wrist and one to each inner elbow. And you always have an option of spraying to the shirt.
    And of course it depends on what you're applying. Try different things with different frags and see what works.