Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Prune, plum, date to temper spices?

I feel like I need to add some dark, sweet fruit to cushion the impact of the few spices I can tolerate.

I enjoy the burnt cinnamon background in New Haarlem, but wouldn't mind tempering it with added sweetness.

The first spray of Pomegranate Noir (thanks again, musse!) where the plum stands proud of the frankincense, is great, but the fruit is soon consumed by heat from which I almost recoil.

Black Cashmere (Taolady, you did pick a goody to send, and you're timing was excellent) echoes some of the cinnamon and incense of the above frags. A nice woody, it would be even better with, again, dark sweet fruit added.

Can you dearies suggest a scent closer to what I'm hankering for? Maybe a unisex or man's frag? I particularly appreciate the low key signature of the three scents mentioned (Le Boisé and Frapin 1270 are pitched a bit higher).

In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Prune, plum, date to temper spices?

The only one I could find with prune notes and spice was Casran by Chopard.
    It is listed as a masculine scent, however. Python may be what you are looking for or maybe Feminite du Bois which I really love. Both these latter rwo combine plummy fruit with spices.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kewart
    It is listed as a masculine scent, however. Python may be what you are looking for or maybe Feminite du Bois which I really love. Both these latter rwo combine plummy fruit with spices.
    Thank you, my dear, fine suggestions all. New quest under way ...
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

For dark, sweet prune/plum notes, I can only suggest Femme by Rochas. The fact that I truly hate it, seems to make it more likely that you like it (-well, you know what I mean, honey... )

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    For dark, sweet prune/plum notes, I can only suggest Femme by Rochas. The fact that I truly hate it, seems to make it more likely that you like it (-well, you know what I mean, honey... )
    Ah, yes, musse, I remember your wrinkled nose and scrunched shoulders from Tinker's Femme thread.

After learning of Tink's fondness for Femme, I found a bit of merit in it. And after you reported liking Ma Griffe, I made a more earnest effort to appreciate it. In both cases, I liked my samples more after I read how others' liked them--not enough to want a decant of either, but I grew from the experience. Viva the bennies of basenotes!

Blog Entries

Hi Quarry,

I too am seeking a 'simple' plum perfume to soften certain spicy perfumes I own. I am loving 'plummy' perfumes at the moment such as:

Gucci Accenti
    Dinner by Bobo (plummy spiced gourmand)
    Balenciaga Talisman
    Rochas Femme (modern)
    JPG Classique EDP
    Givenchy Amarige (original)
    L'Artisan Voleur de Roses (plum, roses, patchouli)
    Trussardi Python
    Dana Tabu Red Heels
    Chanel Egoiste (plum, spice, sandalwood)

May I also suggest that you sample perfumes with a dominant cardamom, exotic fruit, redberries and / or peach note as these can also 'translate' as 'plums' or 'plummy':

Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant EDP
    Sonia Rykiel Classic
    Worth Courtesan
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania (sweet fruit, roses and leather)
    YSL Opium pour femme EDP
    Cacharel LouLou
    Chopard Madness
    TBS Passionfruit Body Butter / Dry Oil
    TBS Cranberry Body Butter

I do hope these suggestions prove fruitful. Please let me know if you do find one that suits or a simpler plum perfume that I can try for layering also.

Happy Sniffing!
    Last edited by moondeva; 10th November 2006 at 11:25 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by kewart
    It is listed as a masculine scent, however. Python may be what you are looking for or maybe Feminite du Bois which I really love. Both these latter rwo combine plummy fruit with spices....
    ...and a BN Reviewer mentions Casran as being similar to LaCoste Pour Homme which has ruby grapefruit and apple in the topnotes, with cinnamon cardamom and rum in the bottom.

Fortunately you do not have to depend on me - who cannot apparently differentiate between lavender and cherry/vanilla.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

I have a wee mini of Casran and find it a fresh fruity zesty watery woods rather then deep rich and plummy. I was disappointed when I actually tried it. Still nice but you will get more warm plummy spice from Halston Z-14 then you will from Chopard Casran.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Neat, MD--you saved me one detour.

How about figs? (they are relatives of prunes & dates, non?)

Then I would suggest the unisex frag Un Jardin en Méditerranée.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ecala
    How about figs? (they are relatives of prunes & dates, non?)
    Then I would suggest the unisex frag Un Jardin en Méditerranée.
    I think I've sampled every fig frag available and some that are no longer available--don't even get me started about Mathias L'eau de Figue [veteran basenoters give out a collective groan and say, "Yeah, don't get her started on that story!" ] Sadly, my husband doesn't like the smell of figs.

But, sure, go ahead and talk amongst yourselves about figs and spices.

You might like Feminité du Bois by Shiseido. It's fruity and spicy and very woody. It's one of my favourites.

Please! I want to hear the story about Mathias L'eau de Figue. I'm a newcomer and want to be able to groan collectively with the rest of them in due time.

Overcome By Fumes

Do apricot and pineapple qualify?

How about Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Soie Rouge?

Notes: Apricot, carnation, heliotrope, pineapple, iris, jasmin.

Euphoria is my suggestion!
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Please! I want to hear the story about Mathias L'eau de Figue. I'm a newcomer and want to be able to groan collectively with the rest of them in due time.
    Let's see how succinctly I can relate this...
    Loved a sample Musse in Norway had included in a shipment to me. I couldn't find any source for the stuff. Tried to contact the company in France, inquired of all the U.S. Mathias reps (out of fig, plenty of lavender). Asked Musse where she got the sample. She wasn't sure, thought maybe Stuigi. I asked Stuigi, he had no recollection. I whined about all this here on basenotes. Then Buffalo_Gals spotted a male basenoter who was willing to sell. Yippee! Paid him. He had trouble with online USPS mailing option (they keep renaming our road every two years!). F-i-n-a-l-l-y, the beautiful inkwell-like bottle arrived in the mail in perfect condition and in its original box, 98% full! Learned that Mathias was ceasing to produce fragrances altogether! I had the most precious stuff on the planet! Wore it. Husband gagged, couldn't stand the stuff. We work at home, are together all the time. Love husband. Had to find Mathias a good home. I saved a few drops in a vial and occasionally sniff to remember. In truth, I've found Carthusia IO an even more appealing fig-laced scent, so I've recuperated emotionally. Oh, yeah, husband doesn't like that one either, so any day he's away, it's IO for me!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    You might like Feminité du Bois by Shiseido. It's fruity and spicy and very woody. It's one of my favourites.
    Yeah, I really should get around to trying that one. I can't hold a grudge against Monsieur Lutens forever just because he nauseated me with Miel de Bois.

Have you tested Balenciaga's Rumba?
    It's a big, sweet, loud plum frag that has softer spices, i like its boldness, richness and sensuality.
    It also has peaches, orchids, magnolia and tuberose with a softer vanilla-oakmoss drydown.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Do apricot and pineapple qualify?

How about Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Soie Rouge?

Notes: Apricot, carnation, heliotrope, pineapple, iris, jasmin.
    Hmmm. Interesting.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lillie
    Euphoria is my suggestion!
    You know, I liked that frag initially and took it on a trip with me, but its drydown was so tenacious--never-ending really, that I developed a repulsion.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    Have you tested Balenciaga's Rumba?
    It's a big, sweet, loud plum frag that has softer spices, i like its boldness, richness and sensuality.
    It also has peaches, orchids, magnolia and tuberose with a softer vanilla-oakmoss drydown.
    I did, but it was a little too big for me--big, as in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade character balloon big.

I think it's one you really had to experience....the longing, the agony, the triumph (or not.) I, for one, really enjoyed it.

But I'm evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    I did, but it was a little too big for me--big, as in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade character balloon big.
    LOL! loved your description!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Let's see how succinctly I can relate this...
    Loved a sample Musse in Norway had included in a shipment to me. I couldn't find any source for the stuff. Tried to contact the company in France, inquired of all the U.S. Mathias reps (out of fig, plenty of lavender). Asked Musse where she got the sample. She wasn't sure, thought maybe Stuigi. I asked Stuigi, he had no recollection. I whined about all this here on basenotes. Then Buffalo_Gals spotted a male basenoter who was willing to sell. Yippee! Paid him. He had trouble with online USPS mailing option (they keep renaming our road every two years!). F-i-n-a-l-l-y, the beautiful inkwell-like bottle arrived in the mail in perfect condition and in its original box, 98% full! Learned that Mathias was ceasing to produce fragrances altogether! I had the most precious stuff on the planet! Wore it. Husband gagged, couldn't stand the stuff. We work at home, are together all the time. Love husband. Had to find Mathias a good home. I saved a few drops in a vial and occasionally sniff to remember. In truth, I've found Carthusia IO an even more appealing fig-laced scent, so I've recuperated emotionally. Oh, yeah, husband doesn't like that one either, so any day he's away, it's IO for me!
    Don't you hate when that happens.

Thanks for sharing.