Code of Conduct

Default ambre sultan question

I just have a quick question. I am a newbie when it comes to perfume, so I am wondering if you guys might give me some advice. I am completely in love with ambre sultan. I just got a sample, and I canīt stop smelling my wrist.. What other scents do you think I might like? I enjoy creed acier aluminum and especially tabarome millesime (for a formal occasion). But there is something in the ambre sultan that is so comforting yet exciting - I donīt know how to explain it.

Do you think I might like messe de minuit? And I really want to try out SL fumerie turque, SL arabie and hermes ambre narguile.

thanks

Default Re: ambre sultan question

Hi! I don't find Fumerie Turque (sweet, smoky tobacco) or Arabie (all I remember is that it's spicy) similar to Ambre Sultan. Creed's Angelique Encens is closer to Ambre Sultan, imo. I've tried both, and feel they're similar.

Regarding Messe de Minuit, are you asking about it because it contains amber?
    That's a difficult question to answer because I'm not familar with your taste in fragrance. Let us know which fragrances and notes you like. I don't think it's similar to the other fragrances you asked about.

Good luck! And welcome!

I guess the problem is that I dont know what notes I like. But the perfumes Ive liked so far are SL ambre sultan, creed acier aluminum, tabarome millesime, burberry brit gold, hermes ambre narguile, ambre russe, gaultier2, gaultier le male and armani black code.

I like tobacco and leather scents, as well as oriental notes. What other scents could I try?

Thanks for all advice

If you like tobacco and leather, here's a few you might like:

SL Fumerie Turque

Le Labo Patchouli 24

Regence Kolnisch Juchten

Caron Yatagan

I looooove Ambre Sultan: for me it's peerless.

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00
    Regence Kolnisch Juchten
    For a more easy find, but yet somehow similar to this suggestion, give Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories a go.

http://www.tauerperfumes.com/
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...1402&section=1

How could I have forgotten about that one?

Thanks guys... the lonestar memories looks interesting. Ill check out the other suggestions too. I need to get some samples. I really like unisex scents (like ambre sultan)

Welcome Scentlover!

Another Ambre Sultan addict! Good to hear. If we are a bit like fragrance twins, you will certainly not fall in love with Messe de Minuit. Ambre Sultan: so warm, Messe de Minuit: so cold (to my nose anyway)
    Reading what you like I would say: try Cuir Mauresque and Chergui (SL), or Ambre Russe. Also VIP Room could be lovely on you. And did you ever try Ambra from Etro? Lighter than Ambre Sultan, but therefore easier to wear when it is warm (in a heated office for instance).
    And I certainly agree with Perfume Hound Dog: I am almost certain you will love Angelique Encens.
    I think we all just love a perfume newbie Be prepared: we will shower you with our good advice
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Fifi Chachnil Eau de Parfum, although this might be a tad girly. Still, it has characteristics of both the Sultan and Fumerie. Heavy on the amber, some light smoke, some mysterious sweetness.

Anne Pliska. There is something slightly off-kilter about this amber/orange/geranium scent. It's like an amber mausoleum, or amber on a downdraft. Better, it is a (relative) bargain compared with the Lutenses.

Attar Bazaar Persian Amber. Straight up and fierce.

Thanks guys. Messe de minuit sounds really interesting though, so I think I might try to find a sample even though I might not like it... and Ill try and get hold of a sample of angelique encens... and I have to check out Anne Pliska... wow - so many recommendations. I havenīt tried any etro fragrances yet - Im very new to the world of perfumes

On the other hand, im not so sure about vanilla. Im wearing acier aluminum now, and the vanilla might be giving me a slight headache. I thought everyone would like vanilla, but I might be an exception. I really donīt like girly scents either - even though they smells nice on others. Ive heard about the fifi perfume, but Im not so sure about that one Thanks though.

I tried on creed orange spice yesterday though, and I kind of liked it.. seems like a great scent for christmas time. And creed vetiver wasnīt too bad either.

Here are some scents I want to try:

Bulgari black
    versace dreamer
    ambre russe
    gendarme
    creed bois de portugal
    creed millesime imperial
    etro sandalo
    serge lutens arabie and fumerie turque
    kenzo flower oriental
    tea for two LīArtisan
    Dzing LīArtisan
    Timbuktu LīArtisan
    New Haarlem Bond No 9
    Tabac blond
    I profumi - tabacco
    Hermes ambre narguile
    Terre dīHermes

You think I would like any of these? Dont ask me why I want to try them, just that their descriptions sounded quite nice
    Last edited by scentlover; 11th November 2006 at 10:47 AM.

Etro Messe de Minuit, yes. It and Ambre Sultan have similar incense resins. In fact, I prefer Messe de Minuit over Ambre Sultan.

Hi again! You definitely need to try Fumerie Turque if you like tobacco. I agree with the recommendation about Anne Pliska. Messe de Minuit is an interesting fragrance, imo it either works for you or it doesn't.

Good luck with the testing!

Would you guys recommend CdG avignon?

Quote Originally Posted by scentlover
    Would you guys recommend CdG avignon?
    Oh yes!!!

To that list of recommendations I would add Chergui, if no one else did, and MPG's George Sand. Not as spicey, but a warm, embracing oriental with a bit of fruity leather (reminds me of some other SL's). Could work on both male and female skin.
    Enjoy the experience!
    LaD (another newcomer)

I really want to try chergui. Im testing out a few department stores fragrances at the moment, but they donīt compare to the creed and SL samples I have... I really didnīt want to turn into a fragrance snob... guess it might be too late. lol

Do you like boozy, as well as tobacco-y? I certainly do.
    For that, go to Idole De Lubin - big, warm, boozy, ambery, leathery. Delicious.
    Un Cedre by Serge Lutens - similar to Idole with more wood.
    Muscs Koublai Khan by SL is big and ambery - you know, that distinctive SL "bigness". It too is wonderful.
    You might like Le Baiser Du Dragon by Cartier. Not an amber, but still deep, warm, smoky and mysterious.

Although it is a much more masculine scent, Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme has a very good tobacco note in it. On the list of scents you want to try, Terre d' Hermes is more pronounced in orange, but has a slight pepper note that I find makes it stand out IMO.

Itīs so kind of you all to give me advice. I really do prefer the warm, ambery fragrances, but most of the year I live in a very hot, humid climate - so I donīt know how suitable fragrances like ambre sultan would be there.
    Are there any other SL fragrances that would work in hot weather?

Ive tried out a few others, such as gaultier2 - but couldnīt wash it off fast enough. Creed acier aluminum might be good - but the vanilla gives me a headache. I enjoy creed tabarome, but it might be slightly too neutral and masculine... So far, the only alternatives are guerlain vetiver and creed vetiver. Creed vetiver is a bit to soapy, but itīs great after a shower. I love the drydown of the guerlain vetiver - very nice!

I am not too sure about citrus fragrances, but Iīll check out terre dīHermes.
    As you probably can understand I hate the sweet, feminine stuff - even habit rouge is too girlie for me at times.. lol. Anyways, Im just looking for a HG fragrances for a hot, humid climate so Iīll smell fresh and clean. Im thinking maybe gucci pour homme, dior homme, chanel allure for men or envy... What do you guys think?

Thanks for all your excellent advice so far.
    Last edited by scentlover; 16th November 2006 at 11:29 AM.

Have you considered looking up the notes for all the perfumes you love, then searching Basenotes directory with those notes to see what comes up? You may find common denominators there that will help you to know yourself a little better. It's not a foolproof method - you can never tell how the notes will combine until they're on your skin - but it is a good way to narrow down your selection.

Quote Originally Posted by scentlover
    Itīs so kind of you all to give me advice. I really do prefer the warm, ambery fragrances, but most of the year I live in a very hot, humid climate - so I donīt know how suitable fragrances like ambre sultan would be there.
    Are there any other SL fragrances that would work in hot weather?
    SL Datura Noir, Chene, and Iris Silver Mist can easily be worn in hot weather IMO since they aren't too heavy in the sweetness department.

As a side note, if you like Ambre Sultan, then I'd recommend you try L'artisan Ambre Extreme. It's a cleaner and brighter take on the amber theme.

Thanks guys! One thing I know for sure is that I cannot wear most womens scents... they are just too sweet. However, I just tried gucci envy for men, and loved it. And now I really want to try gucci PH. I havenīt tried any L Artisan scents yet, but I will. I would also love to try some more vetiver fragrances, like Jo Mallone.