Code of Conduct

Default What's a nice "as close to plain musk" designer scent?

I'm looking at buying a fragrance which is a nice musk without a huge number of other notes influencing the fragrance.

Also one of the main criteria is that it be something that is designer, or even a cheaper scent, that can be found in the stores. Nothing niche that is hard to obtain and will cost me $100+ for a bottle.

I'm wondering if such a thing even exists? Every popular fragrances that features musk seems to be paired with vanilla or something else strongly so it gets distorted. Also all the plain musk fragrances seem to be your Aqua Velva kinds of things that aren't much on quality, though I'm not dismissing cheaper drugstore type fragrances you might suggest if you think they have merit.

I've also liked and used Speed Stick's Musk deoderant and I can see myself from time to time being in the mood to wear a relatively plain musk scent. It has a very alluring quality to it from time to time and is the sterotypical "masculine" scent.

Thanks a lot, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Default Re: What's a nice "as close to plain musk" designer scent?

I would give Bvlgari PH a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    I would give Bvlgari PH a try.
    I might think it a bit of a stretch to consider Bvlgari PH a musk fragrance. On my skin its more of a woody/tea based scent. There is musk in the drydown, but even then its hidden behind lots of other stuff.

For my money, Kiel's Original Musk Oil is about as good as you can do for under $30.00. Its a fairly pure, soapy musk which wont blow away everyone else in the elevator (a risk with some musks). It avoids the powdery pitfalls of other musks as well and wont overwhelm you with sugar or vanilla. Give it a try. You can surely swap it here if you dont like it.

-Slim

Thrax

Both of the above fragrances are great choices. I'd suggest both, but I myself would have to go for the Bulgari.

Blog Entries

CK be is a wonderful white musk frag
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Give Fraicheur Muskissime by MPG a try.
    -

Why So Serious?

Kiehl's Original Musk, straight down filthy and dirty, if that's the kinda musk you're looking for. And it's quite affordable at around $50 a pop, can test it at Holt Renfrews.
    Last edited by HackerX; 11th November 2006 at 06:40 AM.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Kiehl's Original Musk if you want to go heavy and dirty.

CK BE if you want to go light and warm and subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX
    Kiehl's Original Musk, straight down filthy and dirty, if that's the kinda musk you're looking for. And it's quite affordable at around $50 a pop, can test it at Holt Renfrews.
    The TJ Maxx I work at got a few bottles in for $20. It's really nice, and I'll be getting my bottle out of layaway soon (as soon as I can recover from the wallet-shock of the new watch I bought).

Here's another vote for Kiehl's Original Musk. I got it in the oil form, not the spray. I heard the spray might have a few extra minor notes (including floral) that the oil does not...but I'm not sure about that. Yeah, when I want musk, it's Kiehl's. The oil is intensely musky...very 70s-ish. I like to put that on when I listen to the Grateful Dead!

I tried Bvlgari PH...it's definitely good, and I get some musk from it, but not a lot...but what I also got was a kind of smegma note!

Favorite "secondary" musk scent, where the musk is in the background: Paul Smith Extreme.

nearfantastica

Hey there Ace.

I would reccomend that you give Burberry Touch a try.. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it thus far, actually.

a.

It's gotta be Kiehl's, with Jovan's many variations pretty high up there. Cheap old Monsieur Musk isn't quite as "pure musk" a scent, but it sure gets a helluva lot of compliments for the wearer.

Me, I say screw it all and splurge for a bottle of Musc Ravageur. Seriously, not necessarily what you're looking for, but positively ethereal stuff nevertheless.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    Hey there Ace.

I would reccomend that you give Burberry Touch a try.. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it thus far, actually.

a.
    Nice idea, but too much violet in this one for me to handle! (makes it too feminine in my book)
    I much prefer Bvlgari PH in the floral woody musk genre.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Post Re: What's a nice "as close to plain musk" designer scent?

It's quite feminine, and not a designer scent, but I'd still say Musc Alizee by Comptoir sud Pacifique.

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    Hey there Ace.

a.
    If we're talking about plain musk, I'd still go with Kiehl's. On Touch, I'll agree it has a musky note, though I'd call this a secondary musk EDT, since other notes stand out more to me. That said, I have Touch and like it a lot...many guys can pull it off wearing it...and I remember a thread here and on another fragrance website (I forget which one), where a lot of da laydeez said they like Touch! One or two ladies have complimented me on it.

Yep. Kiehl's would be worth looking into. btw, I saw the EdT on sale at perfumebay.com last week.
    If you would like to branch out into fragrance oils, madini.com and attarbazaar.com have a nice selection of affordable musky musks!

I'll second CK Be as a "clean" musk alternative, and I'd also add D&G By Man to the mix... there are a bit of dirty florals and a delicious light/sweet musk. Great fragrance.

I think that Bulgari has an even better match for your request than PH: Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc. This is basically a pure white musk skin scent, with a subtle tea note for some interest. It is the closest thing to a skin scent that I am familiar with, while ironically having considerable staying power. I also agree in spirit with the Kiehl's musk oil, though I would compare these two if I were you and had the opportunity.

Jeff