Code of Conduct

Default Black Cashmere: longevity, sillage ?

Ladies,

I've just received a sample of Black Cashmere and will test it during the next few days. Reviews say that this is a dark, spicy, woody scent that can be worn by men as well as women. I definitely agree. Some even think it is more suited for men.

To me, this seems VERY similar to Idol de Lubin, of which I own a full bottle. I see no reason to own both but I must have one of the two beauties.

Please help me decide. I would appreciate your opinions on the longevity and sillage strength of Black Cashmere. Idole de Lubin is somewhat lacking in both these areas. If, through my testing and your responses, BC turns out to be the same or better in these areas, I may ditch my IdL for BC (although I may still keep the IdL just for the wicked flacon).

Thank you!
    ~mad
    Last edited by MadScientist; 18th November 2007 at 11:59 PM.

Thrax

Default Re: Black Cashmere: longevity, sillage ?

Though I am not a lady, I will definatley swear by the longevity/sillage of this scent. I own a bottle and I say that it lasts over 8 hours. With Sillage that can curl your toes. Truly a great scent.

A beauty for this time of the year. I also have a bottle and it is still not empty after using it for more than two years (and not because I don't love it enough). The longevity and sillage are great. Sometimes a bit too great, because it is almost impossible to apply another scent within, say, 6 hours after you applied BC. You first have to shower
    Apply it with a light hand because the sillage can be overpowering. I prefer to use this in the evening. But it is one of the best scents you have there and really: it lasts forever.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

This one wears VERY close to the skin on me, so I purchased the body products. I have the cream, which is a gel formula, the lotion, and the outstanding body powder (with tiny silvery flecks). It is sweeter and not as dry as the Lubin, not as stark. Occasionally I'll pump it up with some of the DK Essence Labdanum (this note features prominently in BC). The Labadanum lotion is fabulous layered under BC.

I have found that there is not much sillage, but Fracas and Angel both are quiet on me and are in no way obtrusive.

This scent is truly outstanding and I've worn it since its debut. That body powder is well worth seeking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    This one wears VERY close to the skin on me...
    This is what I'm getting also, unfortunately.

One of my favourites. It wears close to the skin on me as well, but is very long-lasting. I can't really compare the two scents; this is the only one that I'm familiar with. I am a definite fan of BC, and of other DK products as well. That powder sounds divine!

Incredible sillage! Amazing staying power . I really doubt that anything can beat Black Cashmere in either of those departments.

In fact, I tested four fragrances from my own bottles today and even though I had four very distinct scents on my wrists and elbows it was Black Cashmere that was the loudest and had the best projection in the room. It also outlasted the other three.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

i was very interested by the composition of Idole de Lubin, it sounded dark and spicy, but once I tried it on my wrist, after a few minutes there was almost nothing left. anyway, the nose, Olivia Giacobetti, loves very subtle fragrances so it was amazing she did an oriental.

nothing to have with Black Cashmere...once you put it it's like a second skin... extremely longlasting, especially on your clothes. i always get compliments when i wear it
    La Science des Rêves

I have the edt and the body cream but I have built up a strange relationship with this scent. I started to save them for 'best' but the healthy respect has turned almost into intimidation! When i have gone to wear it recently I just can't face the dark, seductive, abandon it is offering. I am willing to swap!

I find it lasts, but stays relatively close to my skin...
    My instincts tell me that I probably just become anosmic to it, at some point.

Well, it's been a year since my original post. Since then, BC has become one of my absolute favorites. It's really a sillage and longevity monster on me - much different than my first impressions. I also kept and still wear the Idole de Lubin which unfortunately (IMO) wears much closer to the skin.

Ah BC; delicious stuff! Dry as an autumn leaf on me, a wonderful insense.
    I think you've just chosen tomorrow's SOTD for me. Many thanks.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

On me it was a sillage beast only for about 2 hours but then became a very close to the skin scent.

Superb sillage and incredible longevity on me. Goes on slightly medicinal (think M7), but that bitter note dies down relatively quickly. Remains a sillage monster for the first two to four hours, yes, but that's by no means a bad thing. Then it simply lingers and lingers on my clothes and body, staying very close to my skin.

A very dark, warm, romantic fragrance that can be worn by men and women alike. Highly recommended for incense fans.

If you like Magie Noire, La Nuit, or Youth Dew (esp. in its parfum form), then you'll likely be ga-ga for Black Cashmere. This one's probably NOT for the gal whose tastes run more toward Fleurissimo, Lauren, L'Air du Temps and other bright florals. (A "bright floral" BC sure as hell isn't.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 20th November 2007 at 03:18 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I came to BC via another fave of mine, YSL's Nu. I find BC slightly less sweet than Nu but generally they're very similar to my nose.

I've been wondering if the Comme Des Garcons Insence series has anything similar to them, as both have been discontinued, haven't they?
    I'll have to try Magie Noire, La Nuit and Youth Dew now, as well!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    as both have been discontinued, haven't they?
    BC only came out in 2002 and can be found easily online. I don't think it's discontinued.

Post Re: Black Cashmere: longevity, sillage ?

On me a sillage monster! The first few minute's a bomb! Than the most beautiful incense, and spice accord's. Easy on the spray's.

I don't find it has a lot of either for me, and I like to have both in a fragrance, so when I wear it, I carry the bottle with me that day for top-ups (I haven't got round to decanting it yet).
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Black Cashmere is one of the most easily-wearable incense fragrances available.

How is BC compared to Opium?

In sillage I will say it last a lot longer. The incense is deeper more spicy than Opium which is now a watered down sad thing.
    DONNA

BC was discontinued then reissued in different packaging. I have the original, which has great sillage and is very dry on me. I wouldn't compare it to Opium but to DK Chaos and to Barbara Bui. Also I think of it as a sister of Theorema.

I love Black Cashmere, it`s my perfect dark, spicy incense fragrance for cold weathers. The first moments on skin reveal a propolis-like aroma, then it goes on something like cloves with roses and end in an incense base on me. DK Chaos seems more like a bright study on the same theme of Black Cashmere. They could be considered the views of a desert during the day and the night, being Chaos the bright, raw, spicy desert day and Black Cashmere the darker night. I wouldn`t compare it to Opium either, since Opium to me iss all about cinnamon, powdery fruits and benjoim-vanilla incensed base. I also disagree that Black Cashmere is similar to Idole de Lubin - Idole de Lubin is more like a minimalistic take on rum with spices over a soft leather base, that has a good, but close to skin, longevity. It doesn`t seem attached to fendi theorema either - another fragrance that i love, but to me that has a creamy tangerinre/manderine vibe over a bright amber that you perceive more than smell. They seem completely different in aura, at least on my skin.
    The only fragrance that to me is really linked to Black Cashmere is the first version of Mania by Giorgio Armani. But Mania is slightly sweet than black cashmere and it has saffron very in evidence.

Thermonuclear. Both in sillage and staying power. Spray on at least an hour before appearing in public. Once it settles, Black Cashmere is everything good that its supporters have mentioned above.