Code of Conduct

Default Help in search of HG!

Hello one and all!

I thought I would request the assistance of the fragrance experts that frequent this board in order to find my way in the perfume jungle.

I am in search of my holy grail and am becoming a bit frustrated. I have come pretty close, but there is always that one aspect lacking. Different for each product. Sometimes there is a note I don't like, other times it is a problem with longevity and sometimes the presentation. Probably common problems, right?

Anyway to point.
    I am looking for a manly scent. Possibly with tobacco, leather and musk, woodsy and masculine, without it projecting the image of a 60 year old man, when I am actually half that age.
    And I would rather not smell like everyone else so I should maybe stay clear of mass-market frags. Another important factor is that I can't accept ANY floral note in a frag and I have a very low tolerance for sweetness.

Frags that I have tried and written off for one reason or another are Creed frags (can't stand the ambergris drydown) and quite a few different pure vetiver scents (not enough tobacco, leather, musk). Body Kouros is as close as I have come, but it is a bit too sweet, it lasts for 30 minutes on me and it is too mass-market.

Would really appreciate any guidance in my searg for my Holy Grail from you guys who have more experience and knowledge of what's available out there!

Default Re: Help in search of HG!

Bel Ami

Loewe Solo.

Antaeus

Quote Originally Posted by warchild1972

Anyway to point.
    I am looking for a manly scent. Possibly with tobacco, leather and musk, woodsy and masculine, without it projecting the image of a 60 year old man, when I am actually half that age.
    And I would rather not smell like everyone else so I should maybe stay clear of mass-market frags. Another important factor is that I can't accept ANY floral note in a frag and I have a very low tolerance for sweetness.

Would really appreciate any guidance in my searg for my Holy Grail from you guys who have more experience and knowledge of what's available out there!
    I have two recommendations.

1. Creed Vintage Tabarome - yes its a Creed, and although ambergris is listed in the notes, I dont detect much in this. Its one of the finest fragrances in existence today, and I find its fresh take on tobacco to be quite sophisticated and suitable for all seasons. Its pricy though. For a more brash take on the tobacco theme, you can try Creed Tabarome Millesime (ambergris free) - a high powered mix of ginger, tobacco, and citrus notes.

2. Guerlain Vetiver - an old classic, this ranks as arguably one of the most finely tuned (vetiver) fragrances for men. An irresistable mix of citrus-tobacco-vetiver notes, its criminally underpriced for the quality of juice thats inside the bottle (a 3.4 Oz. tester sells for $20 here)
    -

nearfantastica

Aramis Havana, baby!

a.

Havana would be my first choice for you; The Dreamer would be my second.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by warchild1972
    I can't accept ANY floral note in a frag and I have a very low tolerance for sweetness.
    In that case check Yatagan from Caron.

For some reason I am quite sure that you would like Gucci Pour Homme. I could be wrong of course, but give it a shot!

YSL M7 is another one I was thinking about, but then, that sweetness could be too much for you to handle. I still definitely would try that one, too.

ps. These are not a niche scents, but still far away from "mainstream" imo.

Thank you very much everyone for advice!
    I think several of these are worth checking into more closely.

Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories or Czech & Speake's Cuba may be worth a try!

I think Yves Saint Laurent's Rive Gauche is exactly the thing you're looking for..

Antaeus
    Havana
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Francesco Smalto

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald
    Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories or Czech & Speake's Cuba may be worth a try!
    I agree with these and also Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac

Thumbs up Re: Help in search of HG!

Also check out Andy Tauer's L' Air du Desert Marocain and Sheisido's Basala

A few more "holy grail" recommendations:

L'Artisan Dzing!
    MPG Eau Des Iles
    -

Okay! You gents have to stop now or I'll be ruined! :-))
    Thank you for all suggestions!