Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Black Gardenia by Michele Bergman what's your opinion?

I have been testing an itsy bitsy sample of this expensive stuff and I really wish I didn't like it so much. Can anyone maybe recommend another gardenia scent which is equally as lush, gorgeous and seriously sexy but a tad less expensive?
    I have tried only two other gardenia scents: Stila Midnight Bloom which now seems thin and artificial in comparison and Jo Malone Vintage Gardenia With Cardamom And Myhrr which was great at first but turned sour and icky on my skin. Black Gardenia grabs my attention because I think it's a very voluptuous full scent but not at all harsh. Other opinions will be eagerly read, thanks.

Default Re: Black Gardenia by Michele Bergman what's your opinion?

Kenneth Cole Black and Marc Jacobs for women are both relatively inexpensive, available-everywhere gardenia scents. I've sampled Black and found it to be fairly simple, pleasant but not interesting. MJW is a watery, creamy gardenia, and I love my mini for warmer weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Black Gardenia is bit unique, quite unlike frags like Pur Desir de Gardenia or BBW Gardenia. It is a pikake jasmine, sweet gardenia. It is still quite green and leaves out the coconut tinge that many gardenias use for richness. I always get about 10minutes of bubblegum on first application, which I suppose is a bit of a fruit note that is unusual in gardenia soliflores. It gets sweeter as the green top softens, and seems to rest on a bit of vanilla. It has good sillage.

It lies somewhere between Child and kai for me, closer to Child I think, and doesn't really smell like anything else. I suppose of all I've tried, it brings Chanel Gardenia most to mind, and I wish I still had my CG sample for a wrist to wrist. If one adds the coconut then I think of Perfect Gardenia.

I must go now, to dig through the various sample baskets scattered around....To Twirl All Girly is coming to mind as well, but it's been soooo long since I tried it.
    Last edited by Shycat; 12th November 2006 at 03:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Black Gardenia by Michele Bergman what's your opinion?

Thank you I will test the Marc Jacobs schareid. I was wondering how Black Gardenia compared to kai having read so many positive things about kai on Basenotes, Shycat your info is so helpful. Might get samples of Perfect Veil and kai from Luckyscent.......or might just go for Black Gardenia!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaelaran1008
    Thank you I will test the Marc Jacobs schareid. I was wondering how Black Gardenia compared to kai having read so many positive things about kai on Basenotes, Shycat your info is so helpful. Might get samples of Perfect Veil and kai from Luckyscent.......or might just go for Black Gardenia!
    No, not Perfect Veil (although you might like it, too!) Perfect Gardenia. I'm realizing I didn't help you so awful much as all these oils I'm talking about are about the same steep price. At least I can say, Black Gardenia is not more expensive than these other ones, it just comes in a big wallet walloping 15ml...

How much does it cost?

Post Thanks / Like

On Luckyscent, I think BG goes 120 USD for 15ml -- 1/2 oz -- of oil. kai is 45 USD for 1/8 oz which is only 3 3/4 ml. Boggles my mind.

That's expensive! I've never tried Black Gardenia (at this point, I'm afraid to!) I have several Kai products, but don't own the roll-on (I have so many samples that I'll never need to buy one.) It's funny how certain perfumes are soooooo expensive. As much as I like Kai and Monyette, they're very pricey considering the tiny amount you get for your money. Are they worth it? To me, yes.

Post Thanks / Like

On first-in-fragrance Black Gardenia retails at 176 USD (96) but that's a European store. With postage and everything it would still cost me around the same price from the U.S. Depends on how much I value the fragrance I suppose. There are always ways to rationalise every scent purchase..........
    It's not that I like it so much partly because it's expensive, honest. Have been trying the Maison Des La Vanilles which are very reasonably priced and Noire Du Mexique is gorgeous!!! Very seductive too.

Post Thanks / Like

YEARS ago Dana made Jungle Gardenia that would knock your socks off. PURE gardenia corsage. Potent.

I see it's still around, now by Coty. (I've been out of it - obviously Coty at some point acquired Dana?)

Haven't tried any of the other gardenias mentioned here, but now that you've put the notion in my head.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

This is a repeat story I've shared before....when I was ten or so, my sister had a tiny emerald green bottle of Jungle Gardenia parfum. I remember passing it around, with her and my older cousin sniffing in amazement. Intense is an understatement! The smallest possible dab on the wrist filled the room with heady gardenia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    This is a repeat story I've shared before....when I was ten or so, my sister had a tiny emerald green bottle of Jungle Gardenia parfum. I remember passing it around, with her and my older cousin sniffing in amazement. Intense is an understatement! The smallest possible dab on the wrist filled the room with heady gardenia.
    I had a mini of Versace's Blonde which I gave to my grandaughter a couple of months ago because she loved the 'bottle with the face'. Recently when we went to visit she was showing one of her friends the bottle and they were applying the perfume to their wrists and sniffing this potent stuff and exchanging opinions. This echoes the timelessness of your story Shycat, great stuff!
    I think she already shows an independent spirit as her fave scents include the 'swimming pool smell' - chlorine to you and I; SJP Lovely; the aforementioned Blonde and Barbie pink bottle! Doesn't like the smell of Pears soap bar though and would like me to buy a different soap for my bathroom thank you very much! Must let her try the Black Gardenia sample too.

To me Monyette Paris is like the daytime beachy gardenia... creamy and sunny. Black Gardenia is like a nighttime version of gardenia. Really beautiful and dark. At first I was afraid that I would get that gasoline vibe, but it went away pretty quickly.
    I tried looking up Michele Bergman, but found nothing on the web. Anybody know anything?