Code of Conduct

Default A former sweet addict now looking for a 'masculine' designer frag

I've never been one for 'masculine' designer frags - I've always preferred something reasonably sweet and not too dry. However, I've recently felt the urge to own something of this ilk (but something that smells very modern, is not too sweet, and has great longevity and sillage).

I originally thought Egoiste would be the one but the prominent rose note didn't agree with my skin chemistry (or nose). Then I discovered Basala - a great fragrance, but there was something about it that left me unfulfilled (I now use it as an office scent). I'm currently thinking about Richard James but I'm on the fence about this one (there's something very Calvin Klein about the drydown).

So, any suggestions?

Default Re: A former sweet addict now looking for a 'masculine' designer frag

M7 mos def. I'm a fan of sweeter fragrances too and I find M7 perfectly sweet, woody, and masculine. YSL simply makes remarkable things.

Have you tried Rive Gauche? It's semi sweet and very polished with a masculine edge. I think of black when I smell it. It's a little mysterious without being cold or smokey. The drydown gets a little powdery but not as much as some of the reviews make it seem.

Blog Entries

Lately I've really been digging John Varvatos. It's like fruity leather.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

You might want to try Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera!

Cool Re: A former sweet addict now looking for a 'masculine' designer frag

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I've never been one for 'masculine' designer frags - I've always preferred something reasonably sweet and not too dry. However, I've recently felt the urge to own something of this ilk (but something that smells very modern, is not too sweet, and has great longevity and sillage).

I originally thought Egoiste would be the one but the prominent rose note didn't agree with my skin chemistry (or nose). Then I discovered Basala - a great fragrance, but there was something about it that left me unfulfilled (I now use it as an office scent). I'm currently thinking about Richard James but I'm on the fence about this one (there's something very Calvin Klein about the drydown).

So, any suggestions?

Interesting. You already have Tam Dao, Cuiron and Envy in your wardrobe. If you want to go arid and non-sweet there's Knize Ten and R.E.L. for leather but how 'modern' would that feel? Dunhill for men '34 has a floral heart note but is far less sweet than Egoiste, though just as complex. If money is no object, Feuille Verte (2006) limited edition by Creed. Again, very complex and flower heartnotes. Salvador By Dali might be worth a try, as you're still in the 'woods', though you might find it too sweet; Then again you may want to go all out and get CdG's Sequioa . . .

Getting more macho there's the 'simple' Tuscany/Etruscan by Aramis, and the simple Versace l'Homme. I say simple because some would label Basala the same way. Abother powerhouse is Francesco Smalto.

How modern would they smell? Hm . . . get the decants.

And, of course, there's Antaeus

Good Luck,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Hmmm....I am confused, you want something sweet again and more masculine or something drier, more arid?

If the former, Antaeus and Egoiste are fab!

If the latter, I suggest Declaration. Has lots of vetiver and cumin and smells masculine, while fresh and arid.

I also like 154 by Jo Malone for a classic woody masculine scent.

Why So Serious?

Michael Kors for men
    Ungaro III
    Arpege Pour Homme
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Hey everyone,

Some of you seem to be confused by my request. I naturally assumed that some of you would be able to read between the lines, but I may have been wrong.

What I am looking for is something formal, sophisticated and not too sweet - none of my fragrances are of this ilk (please tell me if I'm wrong). In addition, I'm not interested in something that is more suitable for someone over 40 - I'm looking for something very modern.

The only reason why I mentioned the word 'designer' in my original post is because, if I didn't, every other post would probably mention a Creed (and I'm not interested in Creeds at the moment).

Anyway, more suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for those who have contributed so far.

Richard James has a Calvin Klein drydown ? Calvin wishes...

I would say Patricia de Nicolai New York, but you may not find it modern enough, and it's not exactly arid, though not sweet either. Rich & sophisticated.

But John Varvatos Vintage should be on the mark. A modern interpretation of a classic masculine fragrance is what is is supposed to be. I just got my bottle and haven't worn it yet, but liked it at the store.

There's also that personal favorite of mine, which is insufficiently appreciated: Bogart pour homme (the orginal from 1975). Very smart & masculine, herbal rather than sweet, timeless rather than old-fashioned, at least to me.

More on the modern side, I would suggest L'Eau Bleue d'Issey (fresh-herbal-woody) and Mat very male (Anise/licorce).
    Last edited by the_good_life; 13th November 2006 at 01:40 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Yang

Chene (SL)

L'Air du Desert Morocain

Arpege PH...smooth wood, not too arid and not as sharp as Basala. I get compliments at work with this on.

Heritage and Zino might also be good choices for you.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 13th November 2006 at 01:14 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

The Good Life made a good call with L'Eau Bleue d'Issey. Its got amazing longevity good sillage and can be quite versatile fitting in to a casual or formal setting.

Gucci PH.
    Givenchy Very Irresistable

I second Michael Kors!

Try Azzaro Silver Black. It smells modern, masculine, long lasting with great sillage.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

What about Vetiver (Guerlain)?

Musc Koublai Khan, Michael Kors, and Opium EDT.

Arpège Pour Homme by Lanvin - Starts sweet, but dries down to a "dry but not too dry" level. A nice wood scent for those who can't stand too much cedar. (This one's more for fans of the guiac and palisander and other "dry, powdery" types of wood scents.)

Cuiron by Helmut Lang - Leathery and animalic -- w/o being Knize Ten.

Aramis 900 by Aramis - Fresh and soapy and herbal -- w/o being sweet. Great for both casual and office wear.

Devin by Aramis - Woody, always in style, great for casual wear.
    (Vintage) Tabaróme OR (new) Tabaróme Millésime by Creed - TOBACCO!

Jean Pascal Pour Homme - Starts out sweet, yes, but dries down spicy and musky. Reminds me a lot of both Devin and the (original, long discontinued) Burberry's for Men.

Equus by Lalique (EdP or EdT) - Wonderful cedar notes, but sans that "Gucci Pour Homme and pencil shavings in a hamster cage" effect -- at least in the EdP version, which is softer and somewhat sweeter (but only slightly so). Be forewarned, though, that the EdT version has a sharper, more pronounced "hamster cage" effect on some (see reviews).
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th November 2006 at 06:09 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Envy
    Xeryus Rouge
    Escape
    Angel Men
    Reaction
    Animale Animale

Sweet, but still masculine to varying degrees.

Thumbs up Re: A former sweet addict now looking for a 'masculine' designer frag

L'Air du Desert Morocain
    Bel Ami

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet
    M7 mos def. I'm a fan of sweeter fragrances too and I find M7 perfectly sweet, woody, and masculine. YSL simply makes remarkable things.
    Now, that's a cool idea! A bridge between sweet, woods, and exoticism. I love M7, but maybe give it a sniff first.

Robert, it depends on how manly you want to go. I just got Carven Homme, and I really think it's great, and it's very affordable. To me, very well-balanced, sophisticated, and rather than sweet, it's more spicy. Most people would probably say it's a cool weather scent. I think I'll wear this all year.

BTW, I like sweet stuff, too.

That's cool that you want to branch out.

Creed Vintage Tabarome
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955)

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    I just got Carven Homme, and I really think it's great, and it's very affordable. To me, very well-balanced, sophisticated, and rather than sweet, it's more spicy. Most people would probably say it's a cool weather scent. I think I'll wear this all year.
    Do you get the similarity to Envy for men?
    Nice one.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Why not give Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella a try?
    It's unique and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Do you get the similarity to Envy for men?
    Nice one.
    Francois,
    Ouais! While it has its own personality, I agree that Carven Homme shares characteristics with Envy.

Obviously, I very much enjoy that type of frag... rather strong, and a sexy spiciness.

My regards to you in Quebec City... I'm getting nostalgic thinking about it, because I've had great times in your beautiful city.

Au revoir! D

Today started out as a fragrance-free day until I decided to apply....Prada PH.

That candied fruit coupled with the burnt quality of the labdanum resin, the subtle harshness of the patchouli and the smoothness of saffron, make it a real winner in my opinion.

Among this season's offerings, if Antidote is a bit on the sweet/vanilla side (a nice fragrance though), and London too fleeting (also nice yet playful/light), Prada should be approached with the utmost respect. In fact, I don't find it sweet at all, with its neroli/bitter orange soapy smell persistent until that powdery smoke takes over as time wears on. It's quite enchanting and very masculine. M7, another beauty, is a fair equivalent, in the same ballpark to my mind, but Prada is less invasive from the get-go.

Maybe you should give it a try?

Mario

I would be prepa

You want something that's masculine

Masculine is tobacco, woods, etc.

A good designer wood is the aforementioned M7. It starts with a smoky, woody blast and cools down to a nice warm radiant base.

A good tobacco is PH by D & G. It has lemon and tobacco notes that are very prominent. Clean and masculine. It's one of my personal faves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    My regards to you in Quebec City... I'm getting nostalgic thinking about it, because I've had great times in your beautiful city.
    Au revoir! D
    Merci Cognoscento!
    Bonne journée à toi!

François
    Ce message provient du Québec!