Code of Conduct

Thread: Wardrobe?

Red face Wardrobe?

I am wondering what the benefits are to filling out a wardrobe. I wish someone could explain this to me because if it is a good thing, I will fill one out, but if it is not such a big deal, why go to the bother? I do not plan to sell anything. I have already gotten rid of a whole lot of stuff before I found basenotes. I am learning a lot here and one thing is to test the perfumes first before buying and test them darn good. Just because so and so says it's great does not mean that I will like it. I have found here also that I am certainly not the only one picky about my frags. And that's great!

Default Re: Wardrobe?

The wardrobes a handy feature where you can list the frags you own, have owned, tried and want to own. Its also a handy way to find info out regards what youve got if the need arises, other members comments etc.
    If youve only got 2 or 3 frags then fair enough but once your collection grows its a cool thing to have, use it!

You can also rate the scent itself and its longevity in your wardrobe, which is going into the calculation of the "rating" and "longevity" shown on the left side of each fragrance in the directory. What mac pointed out is true, but the ratings tell even more (what you like, what you don't like).

And adding a scent to your drobe is really easy. Not much to fill out here, just some clicks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use it to keep track. I like to see what I still have over time and what I rate them because I rarely look at it and it usually itsn't acurate. It's cool to see how I've changed my opinions and grown as a connoisseur. It is fun to compare to other wardrobes that are similar to yours because you never know where the next gem will come from. There is no harm to having one so there is no loss in getting it started. It's not going to hinder your growth if you choose not to get it started though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like others have mentioned, it's fun to rate the frags that you have.

Also...I really enjoy it when people have a wardrobe filled out whenever I come across someone's post where they casually mention some frags that I enjoy. I can click on their wardrobe & see what else they have & kinda get some recommendations that way.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

It can help you keep track of what you've sampled.

It helps define your fragrance personality. This can come in handy for other members if you ask a question like "Can you recommend a spicy holidayish fragrance for me?" We can look at your fragrance personality (wardrobe) to see what "holidayish" fragrance you might like, based on your current collection, owned, and tested fragrances and their ratings.

Many Basenoters who participate in the marketplace here give away free samples with orders. If you buy any samples/decants/bottles from these generous members, they can look at your 'to test' page to see if they can provide a sample of something you are looking to try or might like based on your wardrobe.

~mad

Talking Re: Wardrobe?

Ok, you talked me into it. I don't know if others are like me in that I change my mind a lot. I have heard of some who have worn the same one fragrance for years and that seems so, so alien to me. I may fall head over heels in love with a fragrance and go through a couple of bottles and I'm done, on to something else. In my case, it may be a dozen or so and then on to a whole new group. Would this be called fickle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    It can help you keep track of what you've sampled.

It helps define your fragrance personality. This can come in handy for other members if you ask a question like "Can you recommend a spicy holidayish fragrance for me?" We can look at your fragrance personality (wardrobe) to see what "holidayish" fragrance you might like, based on your current collection, owned, and tested fragrances and their ratings.
    Very good points these!

Wardrobes also help you to recognize members whose taste is close to yours: their scent reviews and comments are much more helpful to you than those written by members whose taste is the polar opposite of yours or just miles apart from it...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

speaking of ratings, I was wondering if a 10-star/point system would be worth considering. Just about every fragrance in the directory is rated 3 or 4 stars. I think the added accuracy would be helpful in some regard.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Thumbs up Re: Wardrobe?

Thanks for the information. As soon as I can shake this cold, I will get on it.

First post.

Please help me find how to add to my wardrobe. I'm looking in the directory to locate the fragrance I would like to submit... but what next? I click on Wardrobe button at the top and get the explanation page.

What am I doing wrong?

I apologize in advance if I'm missing something extremely obvious.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome Ecala!! :wave:

Under the picture of the perfume (at the top of left hand column) on the perfume page you will see a comment ' You do not own '[X]'. Under this you will find a drop down menu which shows a list of phrases: 'add to wardobe', 'You own this', 'You have tried this,' etc.

Just highlight the correct phrase for you and then press the 'go' button. The perfume will then be added to your wardrobe.

I hope that helps.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Thanks Moondeva.

But I don't see:
    any comment pertaining to ' You do not own '[X]'. Honestly. I think I'm going mad here. Is there a preference in the profile that needs to be checked off or something? I'm making myself crazy trying to find anything that resembles "add to" - I'm not seeing a drop down menu-- nothing!

I just registered. Maybe I need to log out and log back in to see this feature.

Thanks... I will keep trying.

E

Moondeva-- on the 'perfume' page - I see this:

Wardrobe Information:

You are not logged in. Log in at the Basenotes Community to view your wardrobe details.

But if I'm able to post here, wouldn't you consider me as logged on?

I am confused.

Alrighty.

I'm not going mad.

I did have to log off, then log back on to see the "add to wardrobe" feature.

How bizarre!

Ok.. off to assemble my wardrobe.

Thanks for your help!

E

Thumbs up Re: Wardrobe?

Welcome to the site Ecala. I always get a kick out of this site. I have not seen so many friendly people gathered together on one site in a while. A perfume site? Who would have guessed it?

I am new to this, too, and I think the wardrobe adds another dimension of enjoyment. It is like putting photos in an album or placing figurines on a shelf, or arranging a display of paintings in a way that is pleasing to you. It's just another fun way to fiddle with your stuff, to think about it to understand it, and I like looking at others' wardrobes for the reasons mentioned. It is neat to see those of similar tastes, or very different, I become intrigued by a scent I never heard of, etc.

I admit, my wardrobe is scanty, but I don't care!
    Also, truth be told, I have included the several decants I purchased.
    Even though they are not full fancy bottles, well, they are little fancy bottles,
    and more importantly , they give me the blushing glow of ownership, owning a beautiful scent that I love.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    Welcome to the site Ecala. I always get a kick out of this site. I have not seen so many friendly people gathered together on one site in a while. A perfume site? Who would have guessed it?
    Thank you, TDDanae, for the welcome.