Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 66
  1. #1

    Default if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    just get Keihl's Musk! they are very very very very very similar

    and if anyone comes along and says "no they are completely different"?

    that person is full of tuberose.

  2. #2

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I love Kiehl's Musk. I used to hate the in-your-face-floral-musk opening but the drydown is amaaazzzziinnngggg with rich, animal goodness. I wish I could remove the topnotes and just bathe (not literally) in the base.

  3. #3

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    aer you talking abou the oil? I don't get any florals in the edp or edt or whatever it is I got at marshall's today, the little $55 (at nordstrom) spray bottle. it's just like whoa, muscs kublai khan.
    Last edited by supermarky; 14th November 2006 at 08:39 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    just get Keihl's Musk! they are very very very very very similar...
    That would solve two problems for me, it's available from a local e-tailer, and 100ml for a little less even
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  5. #5
    Dependent
    fredricktoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    samples are on ebay with seller "fragrant fripperies" she aways sends freebees with her packages.

    removed faulty web address

    I hope this helps the wire tappers who are up at this un-godly hour also.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 14th November 2006 at 09:24 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Thanks for the tip supermarky. I've been interested in MKK but Kheil's musc is much cheaper (also available in smaller quantities locally). I'll definitely check it out.
    Last edited by keylogic; 14th November 2006 at 10:44 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I've always had the sneaking suspicion that the two were similar (or if not similar, then the possibility that MKK was not the beast of lore it is made out to be).

    Every now and then someone would say that MKK was just 'a polite, unoffensive floral with a musky drydown.' No one even says that about Kouros, so I knew that MKK couldn't be that bad.

    I would still like to try it, but I'm glad that someone out there saved me some money (money that will probably still get spent on Lutens nonetheless).

    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben


    My Wardrobe

  8. #8

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Although they smell nothing alike, Kouros is really the oily, feral beast of lore that MKK is so often made out to be.
    I agree with Supermarky that Kiehl's Musk is a close match for MKK, and for far less the price.
    If you want urine-drenched masculinity dripping with sweat, pick Kouros. (Just apply with caution, then strap on your codpiece and go forth to conquer.)

    My (updated) swap list: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189152

    Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    *****
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

  9. #9

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Sorry, I beg to differ. Kiehls is a lot more one-note than MKK. I like it, but when push came to shove, I got the Lutens (I have friends in the EU, so it wasn't that hard)

    IMHO, Kiehls is like two buck chuck and MKK is a fine Bordeaux. Nothing wrong with Trader Joe's finest, but if you can get a taste of the Bordeaux...

  10. #10

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    just get Keihl's Musk! they are very very very very very similar

    and if anyone comes along and says "no they are completely different"?

    that person is full of tuberose.
    So do the two scents smell similar from top to bottom? Or does Kiehl's Musk only smell like the drydown of MKK? I'm curious because if the two have the same topnotes as well as basenotes, then that would be quite interesting.

  11. #11

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I haven't smelt Kiehl's Musk yet but I'm really want to now so I can compare it side by side with my MKK. I have to say MKK is some really nasty dirty stuff that I don't really dare to wear out in public. I think once I was testing it at home and on short notice I had to rush outside for something, but even then it smelt very faint on my skin.

    It actually reminds me of these two middle eastern guys that were finishing the basement of my parents house a couple of years ago. These guys would work 12 hours sometimes and around dinner time my mom would invite them up to join us for dinner out of kindness. Well...after working 12 hours straight and then would also smoke a lot, they weren't the best smelling guys in the world, but I understood how hard they worked so I never complained. Funny how MKK reminds me of them now.

  12. #12

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I have never really worn MKK long enough to get to the dry down, nor the keihl's. I really do not like either of them. I can only tell you that going on they seem absolultely the same to me.

    The packaging and the bottle are both way cooler than the lutens bell jar, I have to say.

    I think *maybe* a teeny bit of it might be good for layering... (beneath, not on top!) but I think more likely I should try to swap it for something of retail value of about $55 which is the price at nordstrom!

    ps Trader joe's is fine by me! I'm not a wine drinker, really, but a comparison of Starbuck's coffee with some of TJ's fanciest (the dark roasts that come in the little bags!) would be appropriate as to the difference between the two!
    Last edited by supermarky; 14th November 2006 at 09:08 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    i don't find Kouros to be feral or ultra-masculine at all. I love Kouros but it just doesn't smell animalic at all to me. MKK has every animalic ingredient known to man in its topnotes.



    Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    Although they smell nothing alike, Kouros is really the oily, feral beast of lore that MKK is so often made out to be.
    I agree with Supermarky that Kiehl's Musk is a close match for MKK, and for far less the price.
    If you want urine-drenched masculinity dripping with sweat, pick Kouros. (Just apply with caution, then strap on your codpiece and go forth to conquer.)

    My (updated) swap list: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189152

  14. #14
    Why So Serious?
    HackerX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,474

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Though MKK and Kiehl's Musk are not completely different, they are not very much similar either in my opinion.

    They do have similarities i agree, the opening blasts of both create an impression that they come from the same ground. But MKK's filthy blast has loads of civet and other animal musks. I doubt the Kiehl's has any civet or other animal extracts, probably only synthetic musk just as a guess. Kiehl's has more of a soapy and rosey opening in a very traiditonal way (though i wouldn't call it old fashioned. It is far less animalic than MKK from the beginning as one might think. MKK does not have the soapiness, it dries down from filth to a very soft floral smell (actually very pleasant, it doesn't smell much more animalic at this point). The Kiehl's on the other hand stays somewhat linear, the floral component seems old school, always reminds me of medevil times, stone castles........there's just something very traditional about it. The Kiehl's also gives me a darker impression, something in it also reminds me of dark ink while something in MKK reminds me of the Lychee fruit. I might be strange, but that's how these two spoke to me.

    But i think the biggest apparent difference is the soapiness in Kiehl's that i dont find in MKK. I would like to think MKK as a modern complex creation of musk with lots of animal extracts - much more exotic, and Kiehl's is a traditional (less complex) blend that stresses on synthetics. Therefore, It is not as raw and pure animalic as MKK. It's like comparing a vintage Jaguar with a modern Ferrari. While both are good in their own right, it all comes down to individual taste. For me, i'd take the Ferrari.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rock Hill SC, Near Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    615

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    MKK is an all vegetal musk, according the Lutens website. Kiehl's is surely synthetic, but has it's nasty moments too. I'm having a nasty moment right now with the samples I got from Black Phoenix Alchemy. Their "Satyr" scent is stinky nasty! Very raw, musky and very synthetic. It reminds of CB Musk, which is brutal in it's own right. I can't help but picture hot sweaty horses stabled in an auto repair shop, along with the unwashed mechanic, when ever I smell CB Musk. Sweaty and greasy smelling!

    Cabot's Musk Oil is on the other end of the musk spectrum. I can slather it all over me and not smell it very well. It's very light, warm and clean. It makes Jovan Musk smell wild and woolly in comparison. It lasts for days....especially on clothing.

    Alyssa Ashley Musk oil: It's nice, not as flowery as the edt, but does'nt speak to me like Kiehl's does.

    I have'nt compared MKK with Kiehl's side by side. It maybe worth using the last smidgen of my Mkk just to do so. Of the readily available musk scents out there, Kiehl's is my #1 favorite: #2 is Monsieur Musk.

    S

  16. #16

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I have decided to hold off trying to trade the kiehls. I want to see if I can harness it as a force for good!

    Layering it very carefully. I don't know though. I find it pretty offputting, just as I did MKK.

    If you were to spritz this on like any other cologne, you would really stink in a really disgusting way, I gotta tell ya!~
    Last edited by supermarky; 15th November 2006 at 10:42 AM.

  17. #17
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,995

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    .................................................. ...........................................
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd May 2011 at 05:55 PM.
    It's not getting what you want -- it's wanting what you've got.

  18. #18

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    yeah well maybe the point is they are both cars

  19. #19

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    and they will basically both get you to the same place!
    Last edited by supermarky; 15th November 2006 at 06:22 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Didn't mean to sound snarky- Kiehls is a perfectly acceptible sub if you cannot get MKK easily. CB I Hate Perfume Musk Reinvention is also a winner, byt very different than MKK or Kiehls

  21. #21

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I didn't think so. But anyway, for what it's worth as well, I think it's fair to say that in this family Kiehl's is the original and the others are imitations/take offs.

  22. #22

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Mmmm Kiehl's musk. I love the drydown - very animalic. Rawr

    Not sure about the opening though - seems kinda... feminine; very floral, imo. If MKK opens like that... I'm not so sure if I'm as interested anymore.

  23. #23

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I'm missing the opening. the stuff traumatizes me so much, I don't like to spritz any to look for those florals. . .

    as I'm sure I've said in many a post re MKK I prefer my own musky bits to whatever it is they are using to get such an effect!

  24. #24

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    The directory has it as an oil. According to local suppliers ist comes as a 4oz EDT (they show a brown apothecary bottle, square base). What should I be looking for, oil or EDT?

    Floral start: Also Knize 10 has flowers (mixed with orange, rose listed, not perceived) , but is very masculine despite that. Iquitos has generally collected favorite comments, but is a total miss on me: sweetly sickening. If Kiehl's has such kind of rosy sweetness, I would have to pass it (?) I cannot even bear the (leathery) sweetness in Lonestar which would be ok otherwise.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  25. #25

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    how do you feel about the sweetness of MR? to me it mitigates the heavy duty-ness of the musk and is what MKK and kiehl's are missing that might make them a little more palatable/more like a fragrance than just a rank odor!

  26. #26

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    to my nose these only smell similar on the bottom...i have a spot in my heart for keihls, but i only like it after i have worn it all day...mkk smells good right out the gate...i love its raw animal power from the very first spray

  27. #27

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I think Kingdom has much more in common with MKK than Kiehl's Musk lol. Hell, I think Musc Ravageur has more in common with MKK than Kiehl's...
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

  28. #28

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by supermarky View Post
    just get Keihl's Musk! they are very very very very very similar

    and if anyone comes along and says "no they are completely different"?

    that person is full of tuberose.
    I'm full of tuberose. I can't stand Keihl's, but love Muscs Koublai Khan. They're not even close.

  29. #29

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I think Kingdom has much more in common with MKK than Kiehl's Musk lol. Hell, I think Musc Ravageur has more in common with MKK than Kiehl's...
    dude, you are right on....i think musc kublai khan and kingdom are very similar in evolution, but kiehls drydown does smell like mkk's drydown...it just takes to long to get there....kiehls is one of those strange frags where there is no middle ground...it either smells glorious on you or it takes forever to get to the goodpart....it takes forever to get to the goodpart for me...however it made me fall in love with musk as a note...i love all things musk! Especially MKK....God I would give my left nut for a bellljar!

    P.S. possibly my right nut too!
    Last edited by jdnba; 8th March 2008 at 02:24 AM.

  30. #30

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    Especially MKK....God I would give my left nut for a bellljar!

    P.S. possibly my right nut too!
    Give me both of your nuts and I'll get you a belljar of MKK.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

  31. #31
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,387
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    ..would that make one of you nuttier than the other? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Last edited by kbe; 9th March 2008 at 02:31 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  32. #32

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I have the oil and the EDT of Kiehl's as well as a sample of MKK.

    They are close enough that you really don't need the other if you have one of them. MKK opens with a strong cumin note (most people's nose interprets it as dirty underwear or sweaty dry BO - and some smell urine or fecal notes, too) then it fades into a musk identical (nearly) to Kiehl's though a touch less floral.

    Kiehl's EDT opens a touch more floral with less fecal than MKK, and then goes right into a muskiness. Ironic that musk has a natural Lily of the Valley smell - even MKK - but the basic musk note is there.

    As Musk is naturally sweet, you will not get away from that.

    I find both competent, but with the price differential, Kiehl's is a no brainer for me.

    Oh, and I have a sample of Musc Ravageur oil and EdP/T -- they are different in that they have a powdery-spicy melange throughout that emphasizes the musk in a different way. If you are a musk fan, this is worth it regardless if you have Kiehl's or MKK.

    So I think Kiehl's and MKK are close enough that you don't need both ever. Musc Ravageur is a different animal, so should be treated differently.


    Last edited by Bromo33333; 9th March 2008 at 03:01 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

  33. #33

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    dude, you are right on....i think musc kublai khan and kingdom are very similar in evolution, but kiehls drydown does smell like mkk's drydown...it just takes to long to get there....kiehls is one of those strange frags where there is no middle ground...it either smells glorious on you or it takes forever to get to the goodpart....it takes forever to get to the goodpart for me...however it made me fall in love with musk as a note...i love all things musk! Especially MKK....God I would give my left nut for a bellljar!

    P.S. possibly my right nut too!
    Hmmm...has anyone layered Kingdom and Kiehls? Our local Kiehls boutique has been out of the edp since X-Mas. I have been meaning to get some for DH.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

  34. #34

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Give me both of your nuts and I'll get you a belljar of MKK.
    Sending them priority as we speak! Ha ha...i may have exagerrated a bit, i ended up giving my arm for a belljar just yesterday from perfumed court...but it was a great buy for me...im really excited!

  35. #35

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I'm reviving this thread today, 7/29/08 becaauuuusseee:

    I would just like to add my vote that... FINALLY after SO MUCH WONDERING, reading, guessing, I, owner of Kiehl's Musk, and now owner of a decant of Muscs Kublai Khan, can now say that they are VERY SIMILAR... I thought they MIGHT have been, but I wasn't prepared for exactly HOW similar. If you ask me, Kiehl's is bigger... somehow fatter, whereas there is something more intricate about the Lutens... And what the Lutens has and Kiehls does not is a very huge helping of, well, I'm going to quote a review I read either here or on Makeup Alley... man ass... sorry, I'm embarrassed to write that but this is in the name of research and fragrance study it's true... when I smelled MKK I thought that it reminded me of a marriage of sorts between Jicky and Kiehls Musk. So, there ya have it... I just wanted to write this for all of those who are eagerly awaiting a sniff of MKK but have to rely on the words of fellow basenoters to imagine the smell. There is also a faint powderiness in MKK that was very unexpected. Interesting! VERY interesting. I let my mom smell it (I'm visiting my parents right now) and warned her, "this one's a little dangerous" and she said, "not really... not to me." This same person, when I bought Kiehl's Musk 2 years ago, stepped back and said, "this is very powerful!" So I can finally say that i've smelled both and threw sand on the curiosity fire of what MKK smells like! I didn't have the option of spraying on MKK, I dabbed with a stopper. I think it would REALLY OPEN UP if I were to have that opportunity.
    Last edited by nthny; 29th July 2008 at 03:28 PM.

  36. #36

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I'm reviving this thread today, 7/29/08 becaauuuusseee:

    I would just like to add my vote that... FINALLY after SO MUCH WONDERING, reading, guessing, I, owner of Kiehl's Musk, and now owner of a decant of Muscs Kublai Khan, can now say that they are VERY SIMILAR... I thought they MIGHT have been, but I wasn't prepared for exactly HOW similar. If you ask me, Kiehl's is bigger... somehow fatter, whereas there is something more intricate about the Lutens... And what the Lutens has and Kiehls does not is a very huge helping of, well, I'm going to quote a review I read either here or on Makeup Alley... man ass... sorry, I'm embarrassed to write that but this is in the name of research and fragrance study it's true... when I smelled MKK I thought that it reminded me of a marriage of sorts between Jicky and Kiehls Musk. So, there ya have it... I just wanted to write this for all of those who are eagerly awaiting a sniff of MKK but have to rely on the words of fellow basenoters to imagine the smell. There is also a faint powderiness in MKK that was very unexpected. Interesting! VERY interesting. I let my mom smell it (I'm visiting my parents right now) and warned her, "this one's a little dangerous" and she said, "not really... not to me." This same person, when I bought Kiehl's Musk 2 years ago, stepped back and said, "this is very powerful!" So I can finally say that i've smelled both and threw sand on the curiosity fire of what MKK smells like! I didn't have the option of spraying on MKK, I dabbed with a stopper. I think it would REALLY OPEN UP if I were to have that opportunity.

    i had the same issue with MKK....i got a very healthy sample of it from a decant from a friend on basenotes....but i'm not sure if it was the decant or whatever the issue was, teh result was that the scent was very pacificst and the animalistic note everyone reffers to was barely existant...
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

    My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

  37. #37

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Though MKK and Kiehl's Musk are not completely different, they are not very much similar either in my opinion.

    They do have similarities i agree, the opening blasts of both create an impression that they come from the same ground. But MKK's filthy blast has loads of civet and other animal musks. I doubt the Kiehl's has any civet or other animal extracts, probably only synthetic musk just as a guess. Kiehl's has more of a soapy and rosey opening in a very traiditonal way (though i wouldn't call it old fashioned. It is far less animalic than MKK from the beginning as one might think. MKK does not have the soapiness, it dries down from filth to a very soft floral smell (actually very pleasant, it doesn't smell much more animalic at this point). The Kiehl's on the other hand stays somewhat linear, the floral component seems old school, always reminds me of medevil times, stone castles........there's just something very traditional about it. The Kiehl's also gives me a darker impression, something in it also reminds me of dark ink while something in MKK reminds me of the Lychee fruit. I might be strange, but that's how these two spoke to me.

    But i think the biggest apparent difference is the soapiness in Kiehl's that i dont find in MKK. I would like to think MKK as a modern complex creation of musk with lots of animal extracts - much more exotic, and Kiehl's is a traditional (less complex) blend that stresses on synthetics. Therefore, It is not as raw and pure animalic as MKK. It's like comparing a vintage Jaguar with a modern Ferrari. While both are good in their own right, it all comes down to individual taste. For me, i'd take the Ferrari.
    I have both MKK and Kiehl's and completely agree with HackerX.

    Also, the ladies definitely prefer MKK

  38. #38

    Wink Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Alyssa Ashley musk perfume smells identical to MKK and only costs $15.. Obviously the quality isnt there.. Anyone wanting to know what MKK smells like.. just sample it!
    .








    .................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............
    .
    .

  39. #39

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I'm reviving this thread today, 7/29/08 becaauuuusseee:

    I would just like to add my vote that... FINALLY after SO MUCH WONDERING, reading, guessing, I, owner of Kiehl's Musk, and now owner of a decant of Muscs Kublai Khan, can now say that they are VERY SIMILAR... I thought they MIGHT have been, but I wasn't prepared for exactly HOW similar. If you ask me, Kiehl's is bigger... somehow fatter, whereas there is something more intricate about the Lutens... And what the Lutens has and Kiehls does not is a very huge helping of, well, I'm going to quote a review I read either here or on Makeup Alley... man ass... sorry, I'm embarrassed to write that but this is in the name of research and fragrance study it's true... when I smelled MKK I thought that it reminded me of a marriage of sorts between Jicky and Kiehls Musk. So, there ya have it... I just wanted to write this for all of those who are eagerly awaiting a sniff of MKK but have to rely on the words of fellow basenoters to imagine the smell. There is also a faint powderiness in MKK that was very unexpected. Interesting! VERY interesting. I let my mom smell it (I'm visiting my parents right now) and warned her, "this one's a little dangerous" and she said, "not really... not to me." This same person, when I bought Kiehl's Musk 2 years ago, stepped back and said, "this is very powerful!" So I can finally say that i've smelled both and threw sand on the curiosity fire of what MKK smells like! I didn't have the option of spraying on MKK, I dabbed with a stopper. I think it would REALLY OPEN UP if I were to have that opportunity.
    You're absolutely correct, "Man ass" ... I can't dare wear it outside atleast until the topnotes are gone ...for fear of offending everyone near me, they might think I'm unwiped or something

    And Diverdown, YES the ladies prefer MKK by a wide damn margin


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  40. #40

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I really like the Kiehls musk and don't care whether it smells like MKK. I don't think I want to be spraying er "man ass" over me thank-you!

    I have a sample of the Kiehls somewhere and was going to layer it with Kingdom, because I like the idea, I like Kingdom but wish it were dirtier.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

  41. #41

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    All apologies for straying off topic but why "man ass?" I'm sure the scent of ass is the scent of ass whether it be woman, man, or goat. No?

    Cheers,
    Al

  42. #42

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    All apologies for straying off topic but why "man ass?" I'm sure the scent of ass is the scent of ass whether it be woman, man, or goat. No?
    Cheers,
    Al
    If a woman's sweaty ass smells the same as a man's, then I'm not gay.

  43. #43

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    If a woman's sweaty ass smells the same as a man's, then I'm not gay.
    Common guys, Focus Focus!! )

  44. #44

    Smile Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades View Post
    I love Kiehl's Musk. I used to hate the in-your-face-floral-musk opening but the drydown is amaaazzzziinnngggg with rich, animal goodness. I wish I could remove the topnotes and just bathe (not literally) in the base.
    you r 100 percent on the money....

    to the original poster...i do not get that connection...i own both and find them very different in evolution and overall muskiness....i find alyssa asley more closely associated with mkk than kiehls....dont get me wrong kiehls is one of my faves, but it cant compete with mkk, which is perfect, only imho!.
    Current Top 5:

    Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

  45. #45

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Though MKK and Kiehl's Musk are not completely different, they are not very much similar either in my opinion.

    They do have similarities i agree, the opening blasts of both create an impression that they come from the same ground. But MKK's filthy blast has loads of civet and other animal musks. I doubt the Kiehl's has any civet or other animal extracts, probably only synthetic musk just as a guess. Kiehl's has more of a soapy and rosey opening in a very traiditonal way (though i wouldn't call it old fashioned. It is far less animalic than MKK from the beginning as one might think. MKK does not have the soapiness, it dries down from filth to a very soft floral smell (actually very pleasant, it doesn't smell much more animalic at this point). The Kiehl's on the other hand stays somewhat linear, the floral component seems old school, always reminds me of medevil times, stone castles........there's just something very traditional about it. The Kiehl's also gives me a darker impression, something in it also reminds me of dark ink while something in MKK reminds me of the Lychee fruit. I might be strange, but that's how these two spoke to me.

    But i think the biggest apparent difference is the soapiness in Kiehl's that i dont find in MKK. I would like to think MKK as a modern complex creation of musk with lots of animal extracts - much more exotic, and Kiehl's is a traditional (less complex) blend that stresses on synthetics. Therefore, It is not as raw and pure animalic as MKK. It's like comparing a vintage Jaguar with a modern Ferrari. While both are good in their own right, it all comes down to individual taste. For me, i'd take the Ferrari.

    I fully agree with HackerX as well.

    The musk used in both is the same to me, very animalic, a civet smell with notes of ammonia and urine on top. I don't know the name of this (synthetic ?) musk but it should be easy to find as Cinquième Sens in Paris sells big bottles of it at a very reasonable price for perfume studying.

    The major difference between Kiehl's Musk and Muscs Koublaï Khan is the other musks put on top.

    Kiehl's Musk has a strong white musk laundry note that we call "Musc lessiviel" in French. The first notes contain aldehydes which gives it a flowery and fruity start. This musk is a politically correct musk, very attractive but neat, bright, fresh, soapy, powdery and clean. It’s a kind of cosy musk, but when you realise that it came out around 1920, it’s simply incredible !

    Muscs Koublaï Khan is a pure animalic musk, sensual, slightly dirty, leathery (it clearly smells goat), and of course, sexual. The evolution of this one onto the skin if much more interesting, richer, more delicate and … teasing. The only bad aspect is that I find it too linear.

    They are both very nice and interesting, I wear them both with real pleasure.
    Last edited by Night; 29th July 2008 at 10:37 PM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

  46. #46

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post

    I have a sample of the Kiehls somewhere and was going to layer it with Kingdom, because I like the idea, I like Kingdom but wish it were dirtier.
    I don't have access to MKK. I own Kiehls Orignal Musk oil (not EDT). The oil is excellent for layering.

    I particularly like Kiehls musk oil with Live Jazz, which has a strong cilantro note. It's a dynamite combination. The first time I wore it, a woman told me my wife better not let me out of the house smelling like that. She clearly meant that as a compliment LOL

  47. #47

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    OK, I'm finally doing a side by side sniff. Just picked up a bottle of Kiehl's today.

    Kiehl's Original Musk opens brighter and more floral than MKK. Khiel's has a neroli and citrus opening that I don't detect at all in MKK. MKK has a dirtier much more animalic scent straight up. The top notes smell completely different from one another. No similarities other than some underlying musks. Kiehl's top is sharp and somewhat soapy. MKK has no sharpness whatsoever and is quite animalic straight away.

    In the middle notes, MKK is still an animal displaying some more civet and castoreum elements while still staying close to the skin. Khiel's is starting to produce more of it's musk character but it is still a much cleaner smelling musk than MKK. Khiel's is not displaying any civet or castoreum notes whatsoever. MKK is actually more subtle and smells more like a true musk tincture than any modern fragrance I've ever smelled; MKK also has some slight rose absolute type accords whereas the floral aspect of the Kiehl's has more of an orris type of note which, along with the neroli, contributes to its soapiness. MKK is an animalic skin scent and is not a huge projection monster, instead it is creating a large warm aura of subtle sillage.

    The dry-downs of both scents have musk in common, but they are different depictions of musk notes. MKK displays a recreation of a true ambergris note that is not apparent anywhere in the Kiehl's. MKK has a hint of labdanum in its base, but the main MKK fragrance body is actually a balance of True-to-Nature Musk, Civet, Ambergris and Castoreum, with any other notes being purely ancillary to its primary animal accord. Kiehl's is more of a composed perfume which dries down to a slightly animalic but still much cleaner musk than MKK. While they both display a bit of patchouli and vanilla notes, they are distant cousins at best.

    I actually like both scents quite well, but as for one being a replacement for the other, I would have to humbly disagree completely with that assertion.

    Kiehl's is a very good bargain for a lovely fragrance. It comes across as a stronger scent than MKK, and that is because of the nature of the composition. Many sharp, floral and soapy edges. It is a clean, yet seductive and somewhat polite musk scent with decent projection and longevity.

    I have to confess that I'm not a fan of Serge Lutens in general. But although MKK is very expensive and difficult to find, I find that it is a very good example of what musk and other animalic scents really smell like for those who have never had the chance to smell the real things. Whether or not this scent is your cup of tea, being that no animal products were used in the creation of MKK, it is Serge Lutens' Tour de Force and the greatest accomplishment of this house (in my humble opinion).
    Last edited by mrclmind; 23rd September 2008 at 05:05 AM.

  48. #48

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Great write up, Mrclmind, but I hate to break this to you now that you've put such fine energy into this test: truth is this member was not known to be reliable when it came to accurately associating one fragrance with another. Sometimes conveniences other than smell similarity were most important to him and led him to advertise similarities that didn't hold up in the nose.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  49. #49

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Great write up, Mrclmind, but I hate to break this to you now that you've put such fine energy into this test: truth is this member was not known to be reliable when it came to accurately associating one fragrance with another. Sometimes conveniences other than smell similarity were most important to him and led him to advertise similarities that didn't hold up in the nose.
    I figured, but since this thread was up I thought it would be of some assitance to actually do a side by side analysis and help people out who were still questioning any possible similarities. Plus, side by side analysis is one of my favorite things to do!!

  50. #50

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Great write up, Mrclmind
    I agree wholeheartedly with DustB's assessment.

    One question, did you review Kiehl's Original Musk Oil or Kiehl's Original Musk EdT?
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 23rd September 2008 at 05:59 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  51. #51

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with DustB's assessment.

    One question, did you review Kiehl's Original Musk Oil or Kiehl's Original Musk EdT?
    I used the EdT.

  52. #52

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    this posting is as of 7/27/09 at 11:38am
    Allright fellow basenoters get ready. If you like kublai khan then check out this site: http://sergelutens.blogspot.com/ for when the export RELEASE is coming. Also though i don't know if the information is solid, they mention the make up of kublai khan and many of the Lutens perfumes. Allright r u ready Drumroll pleeeaasse... its: civet, castoreum, costus roots, cistus labdanum, amber gris, morrocan rose, ambrette seeds, vanilla, and patchoulli.

  53. #53

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I only know MKK, but since I love it, I will most likely also try Kiehl's Musk.

  54. #54

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Woah! Thanks for the news. I love Kiehl's but I still want to pick up some MKK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    this posting is as of 7/27/09 at 11:38am
    Allright fellow basenoters get ready. If you like kublai khan then check out this site: http://sergelutens.blogspot.com/ for when the export RELEASE is coming. Also though i don't know if the information is solid, they mention the make up of kublai khan and many of the Lutens perfumes. Allright r u ready Drumroll pleeeaasse... its: civet, castoreum, costus roots, cistus labdanum, amber gris, morrocan rose, ambrette seeds, vanilla, and patchoulli.

  55. #55

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I have yet to try the oil, but Khiel's musk EdT was just bland, loud, synthetic white florals and some soapy musk to me. Both MKK and Musk Ravageur were different and far superior to my nose.

    Believe me, I'd like to like Khiel's - I like cheap!

  56. #56

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I don't remember this thread...either way, I see no comparison between Kiehl's & MKK!!! Kiehl's is just a simple, plain ole musk...MKK is a barnyard of animals exploding from every angle!! Looking forward to seeing in in the export range.

  57. #57

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Agree with you completely re: the comparison. Personally, I'm looking forward to comparing the euro version with the export. MKK isn't all that animalic to me but I'm betting there will be differences.

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I don't remember this thread...either way, I see no comparison between Kiehl's & MKK!!! Kiehl's is just a simple, plain ole musk...MKK is a barnyard of animals exploding from every angle!! Looking forward to seeing in in the export range.

  58. #58

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Agree with you completely re: the comparison. Personally, I'm looking forward to comparing the euro version with the export. MKK isn't all that animalic to me but I'm betting there will be differences.
    Do you think it'll be tamer? I find MKK to be so civet-heavy.

  59. #59

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I do wonder if it will be 'tamed' somewhat. I detect the civet as well but my main concern is the deer musk. While I think the deer is fairly well toned down in the euro version - when compared to virtually ALL of the musks I've tried from the middle east - I still think it will be just too animalic for most USers, which might not be such a bad thing in terms of exclusivity for the wearer. I think it's going to be interesting to see as a marketing strategy.

    I find its importation very similar to introducing US consumers to true oud bases.
    THAT sort of change is a good thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Do you think it'll be tamer? I find MKK to be so civet-heavy.

  60. #60

    Default Re: if you are obsessed with getting muscs kublai khan

    I haven't tried any middle eastern musks, but MKK is one of the very few scents that I'd be self-conscious about wearing in public. Some people get rosy ambers...I get dog butt and nothing...but (bad pun).

    It's still very much artful and I'd still like a bottle regardless.

Similar Threads

  1. Muscs Kublai Khan in the UK?
    By sdmilne in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25th September 2006, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000