Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default What's your definition for 1-, 2-, 3-, 4- or 5-star rating?

This is how I grade fragrances. What's your method?

1 star--It hurts to smell it.
    2 stars--I wouldn't want to wear it, but it's not revolting.
    3 stars--I could wear this for a whole day without complaining, but wouldn't care if I never wore it again.
    4 stars--This can go in my wardrobe.
    5 stars--Saving this for a fragrance that thrills me from top note to bottom note (and this hasn't happened yet).
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: What's your definition for 1-, 2-, 3-, 4- or 5-star rating?

You are a hard woman!

The main problem for me when grading is that are sentiments like:

1. It hurts to smell it, but I can't keep my nose from it
    2. I wouldn't want to wear it but it smells absolutely gorgeous on my neighbour

etcetera

So, I can't really find a good method at all. I keep changing my gradings all the time. Sorry, not very helpful answer from me

1 star =

2 stars =

3 stars =

4 stars =

5 stars =

I`m very uncertain about the rating system, maybe giving a frag one star should mean it is a little bit good, I don`t know? I see a lot of people own scents that they haven`t rated; does that just mean that they have not yet rated them, or does it mean that they don`t deserve any star???

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    I see a lot of people own scents that they haven`t rated; does that just mean that they have not yet rated them, or does it mean that they don`t deserve any star???
    For me it means I haven't rated them. One star is the lowest in my (very loosly constructed) system

Quote Originally Posted by vinterdroppe
    For me it means I haven't rated them. One star is the lowest in my (very loosly constructed) system
    Thanks!

That is how i`ve interpreted the rating system, too.

Quarry!!!
    I`m certain that the day you EVENTUALLY will find your five star frag will be a milestone in the history of BN, and we will all be celebrating the event with great joy!
    Last edited by musse; 14th November 2006 at 09:37 PM.

I could probably make do with 4 stars:

1 star - Not for me.
    2 stars - It's ok. Can live without it, but might enjoy a sample/decant.
    3 stars - Like it lots. Full bottle worthy.
    4 stars - Divine stuff.

Here are mine, from a while back:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=place

One star
    Repugnant. An "un-fragrance". The recoil from sniffing the bottle gives you whiplash.
    Two stars
    Don't really like it. Does nothing for me. When I ocaisionally sniff the bottle I wonder why I bothered.
    Three stars
    Good stuff. Fragrances with three stars could range from a wardrobe staple to a second choice when I can't decide or get bored with my first choice fragrances.
    Four stars
    Excellence. Excellence both in how the notes appeal to me personally, AND in its character and execution. These fragrances define and frame what I want my wardrobe to be. If I don't own a bottle, a bottle is on my list of must-buys.
    Five stars
    Transcendental. Five star fragrances possess all the qualities of the four stars. Beyond that however, these fragrances ilicit an olfactory "shock and awe" whenever I smell them. These frags alter my mood, increase my confidence, and for a few seconds take me to another place.
    There is no Nose....

Every scent that I own is occasionally appealing. So, if I don't have a star next to something, that means that I've forgotten to rate it, or that I'm not entirely sure of my opinion yet.

1 Star = "Eww, stinky."
    2 Star = "This would be good if it weren't for the licorice/lemon/burning hair/whatever." I will wear 2-star fragrances occasionally, mostly for layering experiements.
    3 Star = "This is nice. I can do better than nice."
    4 Star = "I love this, BUT I can't wear it to the office/my boyfriend hates it/I'm the only person who seems to like it/I've worn it to death already."
    5 Star = "Marry me, Coco. MARRY ME."

No star means I haven't rated it. My ratings are very loose; I'm still getting to know most of my scents. Basically 1 and 2 mean I don't like them, 3 means I'd wear it from time to time, 4 means I love and want a bottle, and 5 means that it 'speaks' to me. And my ratings change all the time.
    Not very helpful, I know.

*--Reserved for Bandit and a handful of other olfactory miscreants.

**--Most of Sephora. Does not stimulate me in any way, shape, or form. Fragrances in this category are generally pleasant, unprovocative, or contain bakery notes. This category may be defined by Vera Wang Princess, but is also extended to include admittedly well-constructed classics that do not work for me (all of Chanel, many Guerlain, most Caron).

***--A large part of my collection, comprising impulse and reactionary buys that I wear with temporary pleasure and then sell on ebay at drastically reduced prices. Included in this category are scents by Cavalli, Sonia Rykiel, Dior Dune, and SL Fleurs d'Oranger.

****--Time-tested favorites that I purchase over and over again and never tire of. Tam Dao, Haie Fleurie du Hameau, Voleur de Roses, Ambre Sultan, Anne Pliska, Malle Lys Mediterranee and others. I presently have about 25 scents in this section.

*****--Fleurs du Citronnier and the things I cannot afford at the moment and that are priced upwards of $200.00 and therefore are all that more intriguing and special to me. Included here are POTL EdP, Mona di Orio Lux, Malle En Passant and especially Malle Fleur de Cassie. Very unique fragrances that, had I need for a signature scent, I would be happy to wear at the exclusion of anything else (at least for a month).

Post Re: What's your definition for 1-, 2-, 3-, 4- or 5-star rating?

No stars - no positives, don't like it enough to rate it.
    1 Star - blah but no notes that are offensive to me.
    2 Star - it's got something I like but not enough to keep me interested.
    3 Star - usually used for scents I still like to use occasionally, or those whose good qualities I can 'appreciate' but are just not for me.
    4 Star - there is a place in my wardrobe for this scent - it's very attractive to me.
    5 Star - I am in love with this scent, my nose is in love with this scent - the fragrance reflects a part of my soul/it is lustworthy.

I think one star suggests a positive of some kind so if I don't like a fragrance I will not give it any stars. Boo I am so hardhearted!!!

* I'm sorry it exists. What a waste of glass.
    ** I'm sorry I bought it. What a waste of money
    *** Eh, nice enough.
    **** Oh, man! This one is good!
    ***** FANDAMNTABULOUS. I might love it all the time, or love it when I'm needing comfort, or love it for spring, or only summer. It may be perfect only with jeans and a white button down or only with black fishnet stockings. At some time, in some situation, though, I love it and it's perfect--for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chaelaran1008
    No stars - no positives, don't like it enough to rate it.
    1 Star - blah but no notes that are offensive to me.
    2 Star - it's got something I like but not enough to keep me interested.
    3 Star - usually used for scents I still like to use occasionally, or those whose good qualities I can 'appreciate' but are just not for me.
    4 Star - there is a place in my wardrobe for this scent - it's very attractive to me.
    5 Star - I am in love with this scent, my nose is in love with this scent - the fragrance reflects a part of my soul/it is lustworthy.

I think one star suggests a positive of some kind so if I don't like a fragrance I will not give it any stars. Boo I am so hardhearted!!!
    This most reflects how I have been seeing the rating system, I am still figuring it out.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

summer means fireflys

Hmmm ... you guys are hard!

The unrated ones are just that, not yet rated.

I don't keep fragrances in my wardrobe that I don't like. So, with that in mind, here is my somewhat looser rating system:

1 Star = this is OK; I wear this once or twice a year
    2 Star = this is like, but not love; I wear this once in a while
    3 Star = this is really major like, sometimes love; I wear this once every two months or so
    4 Star = this is love, I wear this frequently, usually once a month
    5 Star = adoration, my top 10 fragrances; I almost always wear these at least once a month, sometimes twice.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

1 - wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole
    2 - could be worse but still a no
    3 - OK, like it (sometimes a lot) but don't love it
    4 - very good, love it
    5 - love it truly, madly, deeply

No star means I haven't rated the scent yet.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

* -- despise
    ** -- dislike
    *** -- neutral
    ***** -- love
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I think this is what's going on in my mind when I give them stars:

1 star - a scent that is so bad I would never wear it again. very unlikely I will even bother to write a review about.

2 stars - a scent that is quite terrible for for whatever reason got my attention enough to write a review about. I may try it again for the benefit of the doubt.

3 stars - a scent that is pleasant and well constructed but I don't personally feel very strongly about, or a scent that is just ok.

4 stars - a scent that I love and wear, but for whatever reason I don't think it's perfect enough for a five star nomination. This might be a very original scent that has a note that bothers me personally, or a scent I can't wear very often.

5 stars - a perfect scent. Either because I think it's a masterpiece, or because I really love wearing it and admire it's versatility.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

* - really bad
    ** - bad
    *** - reasonable, I might wear it every now and then
    **** - very good
    ***** - perfect, I wear it a lot and enjoy (almost) everything about it
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

This is a good question, and I enjoyed reading everybody's answers. It goes to show how differently people think.
    1 = don't like it
    2 = neutral
    3 = like it on others, not me
    4 = like it on me, might buy it
    5 = love it on me, will buy it

I was reading this over and realized it's like a grade on a paper in school.

***** A
    **** B
    *** C
    ** D
    * F

Montale's Steam Oud was expelled. kai is on full scholarship.