Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Original Santal vs Joop!

ChuckW had a good post a few weeks ago about his experience with Creed OS, describing it as “Joopish” but better.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...powerful+stuff
    I tried (not wore) Joop! for the first time last night and have a few thoughts. Remember I did not wear it, so I can only comment on the topnotes, not the drydown.

Orientation
    Creed OS – A potent, strong and sweet (cloying, stifling, sickening) unisex brew.
    Joop! – A masculine scent with similar but less intense accords as OS, plus a masculine accord.

Character
    Creed OS – Very rich (some say stifling) character from the cinnamon, mid note sandalwood, and cedar. There are just as many people who hate it as there are who like it, but you can’t argue with the quality.
    Joop! – Still bold, but not strong as OS. Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what your purpose for wearing it is.

Overall
    Creed OS – Heavier (a la Serge Lutens), sweeter, unisex, niche
    Joop! – Lighter, dryer, masculine, more versatile

Even though it is unisex, OS breaks slightly more toward men than women. The potency makes it more masculine, but that masculinity is counteracted by the infamous sweetness.

The selling point for me with OS is, yes it does have a surprising calming property to it, just as the marketing verbiage claims. Joop! doesn’t have that quality about it, even though the accords are very similar.

Joop! strikes me as a great general purpose men’s scent for all but office use. Anybody that kind of likes Creed OS but is turned off by the heaviness and sweetness will probably really like Joop! I liked it a lot, but must take the official stance “unimpressed”, as I recently ordered a bottle of OS!
    There is no Nose....

Default Re: Original Santal vs Joop!

My impression is the exact opposite of yours. While theres a certain Joopiness to OS, I find Joop! to be more powerful and it has a certain synthetic plastic accord which is a little too strong. I like the orange blossom note in OS which stops it from going over the top interms of cloyness.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    My impression is the exact opposite of yours. While theres a certain Joopiness to OS, I find Joop! to be more powerful and it has a certain synthetic plastic accord which is a little too strong. I like the orange blossom note in OS which stops it from going over the top interms of cloyness.
    I can't argue with that. I may picked that up if I had worn some out of the store. Can you describe the drydown a bit?
    There is no Nose....

Question Re: Original Santal vs Joop!

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    Can you describe the drydown a bit?
    Have you smelled the drydown of Le Mâle?

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    Have you smelled the drydown of Le Mâle?
    Nope. Similar?
    There is no Nose....

Thumbs down Re: Original Santal vs Joop!

Apologies in advance for my tactlessness, but both (in my opinion) stink.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    No need to aplogize!
    There is no Nose....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    Heh....so, a fan of A*Men are you?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Heh....so, a fan of A*Men are you?
    Uhhhh.......no

You forgot a few things, mainly longevity and cost. Joop will last all week with a couple of squirts while Creed will last only a few hours. And, OS will cost you around $75 - $100 where Joop won't run over $30 for a 125ml. Also, many of you may hate Joop but you have to admire the creativity and the audacity to create a very sweet, floral oriental scent for men that's been selling by the truckloads since 1988. It paved the way for so many fragrances we enjoy today including OS which IMHO is a copy of Joop. And to think I almost felt sorry for Creed when Davidoff ripped off GIT and sold millions!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    I tried (not wore) Joop! for the first time last night and have a few thoughts. Remember I did not wear it, so I can only comment on the topnotes, not the drydown.
    What took you so long to try Joop!? Thought that was a prerequisite for Bnotes, hehhehhhe...
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976