Code of Conduct

Default Double Black...Double Mess!!

I tried it for the very first time today, and basically the smell I got was someone had spilled coffee all over a cologne style that was somewhere circa early-mid 90's. I think they were trying too hard to meld too many styles into one scent. I didn't hesitate to wash it off.

I do get a whiff of a combination of notes that seem all too familiar though, stuff that was actually made in the 90's.

Is there any similarity to the original Polo Black? I don't smell it.

Your thoughts on what 90's scent this might be similar to?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Default Re: Double Black...Double Mess!!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    I tried it for the very first time today, and basically the smell I got was someone had spilled coffee all over a cologne style that was somewhere circa early-mid 90's. I think they were trying too hard to meld too many styles into one scent. I didn't hesitate to wash it off.

I do get a whiff of a combination of notes that seem all too familiar though, stuff that was actually made in the 90's.

Is there any similarity to the original Polo Black? I don't smell it.

Your thoughts on what 90's scent this might be similar to?
    I haven't tried Double Black but you could be thinking of Casual Friday, Miracle or Rochas Man. I'm leaning towards Casual Friday.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I actually bought this one blind and really don't think it's all that bad. Very "been there, done that" type of frag ... and certainly not something I'm going to reach for very often. But I don't think it's terrible.

It seems like just about all of these new "black" edition frags are kinda nice ... but just "not quite there". Perry Ellis 360 black, Polo Black and DB, Kenneth Cole Black, Bijan Black ... the list goes on and on. I've tried all of these and they all seem "incomplete". Nice, but it's like something's missing. And DEFINITELY none are very original.

I'm also secretly glad that they changed Armani Black Code to just Armani Code (which I think is excellent). This way, it doesn't get mixed up in the new wave of this entirely unoriginal "black" mess.

Lasted 30 minutes on me. Why bother? I gave it to a friend.

This one I like.

It is a great improvement on the original concept much more edger, dark, and yes smoother.

I am already on my 2nd bottle of the stuff. Speaking for myself this cologne is very long lasting compared to the original which was very light and fleeting on the skin.

I can see why now the original Polo Black is turning up in TJX and Marshall's Double Black is going to push it out of the market!
    Last edited by scentimus; 15th November 2006 at 02:38 AM.

You are in the minority.....Double Black is doing very well.
    Gary

This is my first negative comment on a frag on this board. I am the kind of guy that usually keeps my mouth shut if I don't have anything good to say about something. But I was so upset by the longevity. I love the way it smells, so I just kept spraying every hour the first night I bought it , but eventually I ran out of patience. Skin chemistry is different for everybody...and I am gled that others are enjoying it and do not have the longevity problems I have encountered.

Barry

The first time I smelled DB, I actually liked it enough to investigate it further. I'd smelled it from a magazine strip. The spritz at the store seemed to confirm initial feelings.

Then
    , I attended a Fragrance Festival with bunch of perfume vendors and the idiots manning the RL booth had inundated the strip they gave me with enough DB to drown The Netherlands and I was thoroughly repulsed.

A few days later and I gave it another go because I was thoroughly confused by my experience with DB at the "Festival" and yet again, I was surprised at how much I liked this fragrance! I can't really say much for its longevity since I didn't spray it on my person, but I can tell you that had I spent good money on DB, it would tick me off if the longevity is so-so, as some have reported.

Yet another reason for getting a sample before buying.

I have smelled this on an occasion or two. Nothing special.

Double down is still a losing bet. The only thing positive about this scent is the bottle. Can't get any more "goth" than that. If only I could decant Zino into this bottle...
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy
    Double down is still a losing bet. The only thing positive about this scent is the bottle. Can't get any more "goth" than that. If only I could decant Zino into this bottle...
    LOL. I was actuallly thinking of getting DB for my 16 year old bro for xmas, as he's in that pubescent black-hoodies-and-metal-music phase, but I want to get him started with better smelling stuff. He has a very accute nose; he's been determined to be a "super-taster", which means he has hyperactive tastebuds or something. He's getting Bulgar Black under the christmas tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    He's getting Bulgar Black under the christmas tree.
    Bulgari Black? Hey who knows, next year he might graduate to Dzing! !
    -