Code of Conduct

Default Came across Léonard and Third Man cheap

Well the other day I wandered into this perfume place and came across these two that I've had on my wishlist for a while. I couldn't believe how cheap as well. $24 for a 100ml of the Léonard, and only $15(!) for the vintage Third Man gift set with soap. Remarkable on both, but on the Caron especially. I almost missed the Third Man, but I recognized the oldschool bottle just in time. This one is very great. Dark, with lots of lavender, and a fruity sweetness. I wasn't expecting this one to be so sweet. It's not a bad thing because it's not a sugary sweetness. Oddly, for a time I was reminded of Christmas potpourri.

The Léonard, on the other hand, immediately reminded me of Van Cleef & Arpels and Trussardi Uomo. At times I though I was smelling VC & A's, at times I thought I was smelling Trussardi Uomo, and at times I though I was smelling both at once! I was a feeling a little let down since I though that I had just bought something that greatly overlapped these two, until I got to the drydown. Suddenly, I get this beautiful waft of incense, mixed with what seemed liked something else burning. It's in the drydown that this scent really comes into it's own character. Lovely.

Both of these were splendid blind buys, and two that I'm glad to add to my collection.
    Last edited by gimpy; 15th November 2006 at 12:41 AM.

Default Re: Came across Léonard and Third Man cheap

Third Man gift set for $15? Thats great value !
    -

Yep, the older bottle as well!

Wow, that is a good deal. I bought my generous 4.2oz bottle for about $26.00, which isn't a bad deal either, I think. I'm still coming to grips with The Third Man, it's a complex scent that I haven't figured out quite yet.

Just out of interest: which Léonard is it?

Ooooooohhhhhh . . . I hate you. I really do.

Seriously, congrats -- Léonard Pour Homme is as close to a Holy Grail as I think I've ever come. (Havana, JHL, Bois de Portugal and the original, long discontinued Burberry's for Men also rank right up there, but Léonard Pour Homme has long been almost a signature scent for me, though not a Holy Grail.) Delicious fragrance -- dark, soapy, incense-y, "burning leaf-y" (to paraphrase Naed Nitram in his review). PERFECT "sweater weather" fragrance.

Third Man is wonderful, yes, but I count your luck in finding the bottle (WHY did they get rid of that bottle?) the best luck of all there.

Was there any more Léonard available? Please tell me there was!

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

[QUOTE=tvlampboy]" and the original, long discontinued Burberry's for Men also rank right up there"[QUOTE]

argh I remember that fragrance, it was very nice indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy

Seriously, congrats -- Léonard Pour Homme is as close to a Holy Grail as I think I've ever come. (Havana, JHL, Bois de Portugal and the original, long discontinued Burberry's for Men also rank right up there, but Léonard Pour Homme has long been almost a signature scent for me, though not a Holy Grail.) Delicious fragrance -- dark, soapy, incense-y, "burning leaf-y" (to paraphrase Naed Nitram in his review). PERFECT "sweater weather" fragrance.
    TVLB — a couple of weeks ago I bought Léonard Pour Homme on the strength of your enthusiasm for it, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm looking at the post daily.

Wanted to ask what you thought of M de Léonard -- which is available on the web for 40 bucks. Is it worth picking up?

cheers

Eluard

Monsieur de Léonard is a very different beast, indeed. Very crisp, very clean -- everything that Léonard Pour Homme is not. It's very nice, yes, and can be had even cheaper than what you quoted on eBay. (One 3.4 oz. bottle is on the U.S. eBay right now -- check out the Stores section -- for $12.99 B.I.N. plus shipping.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Monsieur de Léonard is a very different beast, indeed. Very crisp, very clean -- everything that Léonard Pour Homme is not. It's very nice, yes, and can be had even cheaper than what you quoted on eBay. (One 3.4 oz. bottle is on the U.S. eBay right now -- check out the Stores section -- for $12.99 B.I.N. plus shipping.)
    Just been looking on Amazon — Léonard Pour Homme is available for around $40. It might be worth stocking up — if you haven't already!!

Third Man is wonderful, yes, but I count your luck in finding the bottle (WHY did they get rid of that bottle?) the best luck of all there.

Was there any more Léonard available? Please tell me there was!
    No, I don't believe I saw anymore but can check still next I go there.

You're right that bottle is great. So much more character than the newer ones. I love that retro design on the packaging. So unique. The Léonard bottle is no slouch either. Very, very nice looking as well.

LPH is very old school but not dated at all. I found a huge bottle on ebay for about 20.