Code of Conduct

Question Can anyone explain 'soapy'?

I don't understand what is meant by 'soapy' when used to describe a fragrance. I have noticed that more mens frags (in the reviews) than womens seem to be tagged with this quality but maybe this is just coincidental.
    Can anyone give me an example of a womens scent which could be described as soapy? Clean, fresh, powdery - these I can recognise but 'soapy' is a puzzle that I need some help with! Thank you.

Default Re: Can anyone explain 'soapy'?

I use it to describe a spicey, fresh scent that litterally smells like the zest of soap.

I can't really recommend a female fragrance that fits the description of 'soapy' but I have noticed a trend in the forums, soapy tends to be at least loosely associated with vetiver and since (according to the directory) there are about 3 times as many male fragrances with vetiver(275 to 104) that would seem to validate the association with male fragrances.

I've never smelled a scent that smelled like soap. The closest I've come to finding one is Mugler Cologne.. and I have smelled nothing like that, either. (I don't like it =/)

Blog Entries

I don't think "soapy" is really a classification of fragrance. To me, I think it's more of a feeling that certain frags evoke. When I first smelled Gendarme, it simply reminded me of soap. Like a soap I had used in the past. When I smelled Mugler Cologne it reminded me of those expensive guest soaps that you find at luxurious houses. When I smelled Clinique Happy (for men), it hit me as one of the crispest and cleanest scents I've ever smelled. They're just what came to my mind when I smelled these scents.

As for women's soapy scents...I REALLY can't say any come to mind, unfortunately. Clean Women by D'lish is supposed to be a really...we...clean frag but I haven't had a chance to smell this though. I do own & like Clean Men, & I definately think a woman could wear that. It doesn't smell like soap until about a half hour after you spray it on. Before that, it's just a nice effervescent berry scent.

Good luck in your soapy search!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Smile Re: Can anyone explain 'soapy'?

Thank you so much for the replies. Now I understand why this term appears more in the mens frag reviews. I would have associated soapy before with specific soaps like the smell of the original Lux or Imperial Leather or Zest for example. I read a couple of reviews of womens scents in which they were described as being soapy (one was Caron Nocturnes) but now if I substitute the word 'clean' it will make more sense to me. Thanks again!

in addition to the smell, some frags evoke a kind of viscousness. Its not that they actually are thick or gooey, but rather that they kind of feel that way. dense almost. Mugler Cologne gives me this feeling. It makes me feel like I didnt run my hands under the faucet long enough

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    I've never smelled a scent that smelled like soap. The closest I've come to finding one is Mugler Cologne.. and I have smelled nothing like that, either. (I don't like it =/)
    You have to try OdLaR's Rosamor: Camay Rose soap!

Hello!
    As others have mentioned, this "note" can be quite literal in men's frags. If I recall, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme has a soapy quality.

I didn't like the soapy quality when I was new to scents, but depending on what it's blended with, I may very well like it now.

Why the soapy note? I suppose you could say that a fresh soap smell may innocently give someone an impression of being clean and fresh, or may go beyond that and bring to mind taking a shower, which could invoke memories of pleasant activities, or persons without clothes, and... you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    Why the soapy note? I suppose you could say that a fresh soap smell may innocently give someone an impression of being clean and fresh, or may go beyond that and bring to mind taking a shower,
    Bingo. I keep a decant of Gendarme in my desk drawer for those mornings I wake up late & hungover and have no time to shower before I dash off to work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Bingo. I keep a decant of Gendarme in my desk drawer for those mornings I wake up late & hungover and have no time to shower before I dash off to work.
    Gendarme is the PERFECT scent for that!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I guess my definition of soapy is a bit messed up. For me, there's a difference between clean & fresh and soapy. Soapy is like smelling a white bar of soap, that has some salty-lye and possibly creamy quality to it. Brit and Kouros would be examples. So yeah my understanding of soapiness is not really feasible.

Guerlain Vetiver is a scent that clearly has a soap note, to me. I use to dislike it, but its grown on me and become a favorite summer choice.

I have always associated "soapy" with clean just-out-of-the-shower smells. Someone mentioned the original Zest Soap... EXACTLY! (Although I discovered today that Zest does have a bit of Tuberouse in it! I never would have thunk!) You could also put that description on a laundry soap smell... i.e. the aptly named Laundry by CLEAN. Soapy can be "clean-smelling" as mentioned, or what you might remember from childhood as a clean smell... often coming from lotions that your Mom or sister or another one you were close to used after bathing or, just for everyday. Jergens Original Scent hand lotion is a classic. Full of almond and cherry, at least according to their label, but I'll go along with it! That simple combo goes for miles and miles on my "I-love-smelling-people-who-smell-clean" memory train!
    Bel Respiro, I adore you... but my heart belongs to another.

To me, a "soapy" fragrance smells just like a bar of ivory soap. Many florals dry down creamy, clean and "soapy" on me, Fracas for instance. And Lacoste pour Femme is one that I have recently discovered (new to me, not new) that has that ivory soap quality. Also Bourbon French's Marguerite has that clean soapiness but it is a greener, slightly spicy soap. I enjoy soapiness in fragrances, but not everybody does.

I guess I need to redefine my definition of soapy... I use the term whenever a scent smells like Tide detergent.

I don't understand the term soapy either.

For that zingy just out of the shower feel, I think of scents like Biotherm Aquafitness. But it's not soapy in any way - after all, you wash the soap off before you get out of the shower.
    Renato

Post Re: Can anyone explain 'soapy'?

Tried Caron Nocturnes and guess what? Right from the top notes it smelled soapy to me! Fabulous ultra clean smelling soft scent. I get the other notes in there too - rose, vanilla and orange but the overall impression is, in the most positive way, of a clean, fresh, soapy fragrance. My nose is learning!

I think one's general perception of "soapy" really depends on the soaps that one's used in the past! When I hear "soapy fragrance", I don't really think clean or anything but rather I think of the bar of soap sitting on the ledge in the shower

Two fragrances that I really consider really soapy is:
    1) J.Lo Glow; many of my friends agree with me that this is a VERY soapy fragrance (with a tiny bit of floral thrown into the soapy mix). Actually, my friend received this as a birthday gift and she's NEVER worn it because of how soapy and antiseptic it smells.

2) Santa Maria Novella Gold Musk - this one is reminiscent of a bar of musk scented soap. It's very, very soapy with some light musk in the background.

Personally, it's very hard for me to wear soapy fragrances because it just makes me feel as if I haven't rinsed properly

EDIT: There is one "soapy" fragrance that I do enjoy. Though, it's not soapy, per se. It's Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent. It's a little soapy but not really. It's more like shaving cream. Still, it's a little soapy and gives off a mature clean scent. So yes, there is a soapy frag that I enjoy.
    Last edited by myaccolades; 17th November 2006 at 12:34 AM.

I would say Clean and Clean Men are great examples. Also, some floral notes can "read" as soapy on skin, especially lotus, but also freesia, linden and rose, depending on skin chemistry. Two scents that are soapy, clean and fresh on me are Crown Buckingham and Miller et Bertaux #2 Spiritus et Land.