Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions to give depth to sweet scent

I am looking for some suggestions - I am relatively new at making fragrance and I created a fragrance for a friend who likes sweet girly scents with lots of vanilla. My current result is a blend of Anise, Violet, a small dose of Rose, Vanilla and Vetiver it is off to a good start, but right now it is sweet like candy and I would like to give it a bit of depth and sexiness. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated thanks, CeCe

Smile Re: Suggestions to give depth to sweet scent

Quote Originally Posted by CeCe
    I am looking for some suggestions - I am relatively new at making fragrance and I created a fragrance for a friend who likes sweet girly scents with lots of vanilla. My current result is a blend of Anise, Violet, a small dose of Rose, Vanilla and Vetiver it is off to a good start, but right now it is sweet like candy and I would like to give it a bit of depth and sexiness. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated thanks, CeCe
    I love the sexiness of jasmine absolute..it can be either the sambac which is sweeter and milder or the grandifolium which is more masculine and strong..deeper.

Ylang ylang essential oil is also very sexy known as the "flower of flowers". The flowers are placed on the wedding beds in the Phillipines. Ylang ylang is also softer and sweeter so would go with your theme....

I also add lavender to vanilla blends.....that is a nice combo...floral, soft, sweet........
    JoAnne Bassett, Perfumer
    http://www.JoAnneBassett.com

Default Re: Suggestions to give depth to sweet scent

For the base you could add the following:
    Coumarin, Sandalwood Mysore, Orris, Frankincense

For the heart you could add the following:
    Jasmin, ylang ylang (is also a top note), Hyacinth, other white flowers

For the top you could add the following:
    Black pepper, clove, basil, estragon

Quote Originally Posted by janmeut
    For the base you could add the following:
    Coumarin, Sandalwood Mysore, Orris, Frankincense

For the heart you could add the following:
    Jasmin, ylang ylang (is also a top note), Hyacinth, other white flowers

For the top you could add the following:
    Black pepper, clove, basil, estragon
    I like the idea of using clove and black pepper in this blend. Some roses have these smells as their complex notes.

Frankincense is always a good oils to add as it is a fixative.
    JoAnne Bassett, Perfumer
    http://www.JoAnneBassett.com

I don't know a lot about fragrance creation but the following occur to me as possibilities. Very small amounts of animal derivitives like civit (sp), musk or that whale stuff (sorry so vague). Also various woods like rosewood or oak. Also mosses or leather or amber. A bit of allspice might be interesting, but it is very similar to clove. You might try the formula with allspice instead of clove as it is a more complex note.

Hope this sparks some ideas!

Cheers,
    EB

opoponax

and don't use "the whale one" (ambergris) it smells kind of awful and besides, save the whales! I'm sure they smell better intact!!
    Last edited by supermarky; 18th November 2006 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    I decided to add jasmine - for the sexiness; and then used frankincense to add to base. I wish I had black pepper on hand, because I really like that suggestion (maybe next time). I am very happy with the end result.

I am blending up a bit more with the addition of clove as well, my personal preference is toward the spicy, but the original blend is for someone who really likes the sweet florals.

Cece

Frankincense sounds like a great choice for adding depth that supports but does not add to the sweetness; I hope you get around to trying a version that includes black pepper, it tends to work beautifully with sweet notes.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    opoponax

and don't use "the whale one" (ambergris) it smells kind of awful and besides, save the whales! I'm sure they smell better intact!!
    Actually, ambergris is well... "coughed up" by live whales, so it doesn't harm them It smells nasty when fresh, but once it dries it is has a pleasant persistent and unusual scent (see, for example: http://www.ambergris.co.nz/about.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris). I believe it is quite expensive, however!

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    opoponax

Actually, you can probably get synthetic ambergris (thx). Even so, much of it is found already expelled by the whale and floating in the water or washed up on the beach, or so I understand. All of the animal derivatives, by necessity, are used very sparingly. Like only 2% of a formula, because they are so potent and pungent. In small doses, however, they can add a very interesting or even erotic edge to a fragrance.
    I bet there are some pretty good synthetics out there.

BTW, I went to dinner to a nice restaurant in my hood and, for dessert, had a quince tart with vanilla icecream which had a pinch of black pepper mixed into it. It was the BOMB!
    Last edited by Eau_Boy; 21st November 2006 at 07:48 AM.

"right now it is sweet like candy and I would like to give it a bit of depth and sexiness"...

I realize this is an old thread, but have you thought about turning up the vetiver to cut the sweetness?
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

without be sure i'll said to put some ginger a spicy-warm and maybe depth smelling