Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Refridgerator=Trouble

Call me crazy, but ever since I started keeping my frags in a refridgerator about two months ago they haven't been the same to me. Nothing awful, they are just all slightly off to me. This is a very dissapointing happening. A couple of questions:
    1. Is it possible that keeping scents in a refridgerator can noticeably change them in so short a time, and change them for the worse at that?
    2. If I put them back in their old home, I dark dry desk drawer, is there any chance that they will revert back to their former selves?

I know this is kind of a stupid post because most likely my perceptions are just out of wack, but given that this is slightly traumatizing I'd really appreciate help in solving this dilemna. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Refridgerator=Trouble

just conjecture, but i think it might be the progression that has changed, but not the scent itself. let me explain: colder temp will lessen the volatility of the scent, some components more than others. So, even though the scent does warm rapidly on the skin, you still might get topnotes emerging out of order etc, especially when smelling the overspray. make sense?
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

You got any food in the fridge? I don't know the science behind it, but ifyou have really smelly food in there it might mess with your perception of the scent.

Post Thanks / Like

What baald said. It's all about temperature. Different temperature, different notes. Some fragrances behave quite differently in summer/ wintertime.

When you spray a bottle that is at room temperature, the result might vary from one that is kept refridgerated. The notes will show anyways, but it might take a while. Maybe that's the difference you noticed. IMO the drydown can be experienced a lot better when you spray a refridgerated fragrance, especially in summertime. Exaggeratly spoken the scent explodes with all the notes there are, rather than it's half in the drydown.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

I put my Lonestar Memories in the fridge, and it turned murky. I couldn't even see through it. Scared me to death. It returned to form after I removed it...but I sold it to a friend. Too much smoke, and dirty leather for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    When you spray a bottle that is at room temperature, the result might vary from one that is kept refridgerated. The notes will show anyways, but it might take a while.
    That s exactly what I have experienced! The frags stored in a fridge do certainly not loose their qualities but it seems they evolve differently sprayed on skin at cold temperature. So if your idea is to conserve your collection, keep on storing them in the fridge and decant small quantities into a small sprayer kept at room temperature before applying. Sometimes I do so......

Christian
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Post Thanks / Like

Why should scents behave differently from Aroma? You are careful what cheese to store in the fridge, and when to take cold dishes out before serving (ham, butter, desert). A good (fruit) salad shouldn't be chilly either as sometimes happens in restaurants. Wines and drinking temperature is a story of its own...
    Fortunately, my basement has a steady moderate temperate of 14°/15° C. That's where I keep bottles in their off season. It's completely dark there also. So far, I have not read anything I can trust concerning best temperature for long term storage.
    Last edited by narcus; 16th November 2006 at 03:36 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Does refridgeration really make any diffrence? If so, what's the science?
    There is no Nose....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    I put my Lonestar Memories in the fridge, and it turned murky. I couldn't even see through it. Scared me to death. It returned to form after I removed it...but I sold it to a friend. Too much smoke, and dirty leather for me.
    Yes, I own a spray sample and it's exactly the way you described it. Murky, white flakes, definitely not normal. I'll leave it in the fridge anyways.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed that scents are a bit off when I receive them and they have sat outside on the porch cold. I have felt that they return to normal when they heat up to ambient in the house.
    In my mind - temperature would affect the scent or the volatility (sillage?) of the scent. Warmer liquids in general should give off more "smell" than cooler liquids.
    Because of this I have refrained from storing in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    Does refridgeration really make any diffrence? If so, what's the science?
    The science behind it is that molecules mellow out when you lower a body's temperature. Which is good, because you want to keep those molecules as stable as possible. Raise the temperature, and they start partying all over the place, accelerating all sorts of chemical reactions.

The Osmothèque in Versailles stores their perfumes at low temperatures (4 or 5 degrees Celsius, I believe). Of course their aim is long-term preservation. I think an important additional feature at the Osmothèque is that they store their perfume in airless containers.

Refrigeration doesn't affect the quality of a perfume, that's for sure. I don't know if (and how) it influences our immediate perception of the fragrance, though.
    Last edited by Marcello; 16th November 2006 at 04:09 PM.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]