Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances similar to Monsieur Carven

Hi everyone,

Monsieur Carven is one of my favourite fragrances, but what I had of it is now gone. As it is now a rarity I was thinking of finding a similar one and see if I can settle for it. So far my search yielded only 1 result (see below). Can anyone suggest anything else?

My second question is related to my 1 finding (First by van Cleef and Arpels): Can one compare fragrances marketed as male to ones marketed as female? If so, are there any tools out there to compare fragrances?

I discovered "First" the other day in a theatre - a woman was wearing it and the scent reminded me very much of Monsieur Carven. I compared notes based on this information http://scentdirect.com/scent.php?scentID=107 & http://scentdirect.com/genealogy.php?scentID=636 and IMHO they are quite alike. What does the community think?
    Moreover, who thinks that "First" can be worn by men?

Take care

Default Re: Fragrances similar to Monsieur Carven

Ce message provient du Québec!

Default Re: Fragrances similar to Monsieur Carven

The previous poster suggests Equipage by Hermes as the best match...

I actually bought Equipage and compared it to what's left of my Monsieur Carven- I must say that Equipage's opening reminds me much more of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme than of Monsieur Carven. I can see the previous poster's point - I can detect the similarity between Equipage and Monsieur Carven - primarily carnation in the mid notes.

Still I maintain that in dry-down First EDP by van Cleef & Arpels and Monsieur Carven are very similar (after the strong lilly of the valley notes in First subside)
    I detect the wonderful combination of carnation/rose/orris (+vanilla/amber base) in both.
    Does anyone else get this impression?

And again, would anyone consider First to be a unisex fragrance inasmuch as Herba Fresca by Guerlain or Gieffeffe are?