Code of Conduct

Default Zino Davidoff - The Darkness Revealed

There's a picture of goth icon and Bauhaus singer Peter Murphy from the early 90's that reminds me of this scent. In the picture, his head is lying in a bed of leaves with his ashen white face and shadowy eyes peering through the leaves. It's almost as if he's emerging from a grave, rising with the full moon. All that's missing from the photo is the logo for Zino.

To me, Zino is about dark red roses growing deep in the forest on cool October night. The air is moist with sweetness and Autumnal death. Little Red Riding Hood is lost and has dropped her basket of flowers as the big, bad Wolf beckons in the distance.

It's what Ungaro III wants to be if only the rose wasn't so suffocated by the pacthouli. Here, Zino cleverly uses the patchouli to bring out the earthy tones in the woody/ vanillic drydown. If the term "deadly" could be applied to just one scent, it would have to be used for Zino. Apply when feeling moody.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Zino Davidoff - The Darkness Revealed

I have both Ungaro III and Zino. They each serve a purpose for me, but Zino is new and still unraveling new dimensions for me.

I have to say that so far Zino's been pretty damn good. I'm thinking I may have waxed just a little hyperbolic on my review for Ungaro III:-X. Not to say Ungaro III isn't worthy of most of the hype me and others heap on it, but I should have waited and had more context before I reviewed it.

Zino has been temperamental a few times though - the patchouli with the flowers during drydown can seem really dirty on my skin. Like almost fecal. Not in the truest sense, but close enough to give me some reservations.

Being even darker than Ungaro III, Zino's a little more limited in use for me but it may end up being the better scent of the two in the long run. Who knows?

You live, you learn, then you buy another frag and start learning all over again. Just when you think you've got a bead on something...
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Is it this picture?

Glad you guys like this scent, it's one of my favorites as well. It smells like a fresh leather jacket surrounded by fresh flowers, dirt, and vanilla. I also think it's a bit darker than Ungaro III, it's much more earthy.
    K-six is gone, but Saint-Six is his holy rebirth.

Zino was goth before goth was cool.

Love both Zino and Ungaro III but -- trust me here -- true Goth lies in the black, rosy heart of Iquitos.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    Is it this picture?

That's it!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    Zino was goth before goth was cool.
    You could say the same thing about Peter Murphy.