Code of Conduct

Default More tester fun: Antico Caruso

Another evening, another fragrance...

Profumum's Antico Caruso: Imagine eating a Creamsicle while shaving with a brush and soap, but the Creamsicle's made from bergamot, and that's Antico Caruso. On top here is a creamy, bergamot topnote that's followed by a heart that seems to have that shimmery/powdery amber quality. At the bottom (and this moves pretty quickly on my wrist), it's a pleasant almond oil/soapy thing that has a touch of white chocolate sweetness. Sillage is good and longevity is moderate. This is pleasant enough, but at $190/100 ml, it better be.

Thanks,

Zachary

Default Re: More tester fun: Antico Caruso

angela at the scent bar calls it a sleeper, one she didn't like t first but grew very enthusiastic about.

I tested it once, not really my thing...somehow too sweet, although I like some stuff that is sweeter still. would sooner go for the santalum, and . . . still need to try the others!

When I tested this fragrance it immediately brought back memories of my trips to the barbershop as a child on Saturday mornings. Nostalgic and very soothing smell for me. I don't think I will pay 190$ for it though. Some say the drydown is similar to Le Male...I think it is much more distinct than that.

Question Re: More tester fun: Antico Caruso

I have reviewed this here, and think it is very interesting. The only thing that is really keeping from buying Antico Caruso is the infernal price. There may be other fragrances I would like to buy more for that price, or less. At about $120 it would be a no-brainer, but 190 is a bit offensive. Santalum is very nice but IMHO clearly not worth $190. I will probably buy Antico Caruso because it comes as close as I have experienced to the old barbershop smell.

Joe

Does anyone have any more opinions about this one? I heard it was a more refined Le Male...so I'm a bit curious....but does it come off a bit maturish (made up my own word there)....if that makes any sense...Sometimes I'll like a scent, but can't pull it off, so be honest, do I need a hairy chest for this one?

Well, I complained about the price, but eventually I bought it. I don't wear it anywhere as often as I thought I would. Basically it's an almond talcum powder fragrance IMO. I wish it did have a more assertive lime element to "jazz" it up a bit. It was one of those "had to have it" things that kind of went.... well, not exactly south, just not sure where it fits into the old wardrobe. I have a hectic day trip down to Philly tomorrow, maybe I'll wear it and see how it suits me in a somewhat frenetic work situation.

Not sure about the "hairy chest" allusion. It could be seen as a bit of a "My dad's fragrance". I guess that's mature-ish. I don't think it's especially for older guys though.

Joe

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Basically it's an almond talcum powder fragrance IMO.
    Your description sounds like Cologne Blanche by Dior. Would you agree that AC smells like CB?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Yeah, do tell us more Joe....especially how it works on that hectic day at work. A friend is offering half his bottle for a really good price, but it will be blind for me if I do grab it off him. I heard it was a refined Le Male which sounds good, but because of that whole old barbershop smell description, I might pass.....does it at all compare to DH Cologne Blanche as Mike mentioned?

anyways...give us an update on how it works....
    Last edited by nsamadi; 11th February 2008 at 02:42 AM.

I tried this over a year ago and wasn't really impressed. The drydown smells very similar to Le Male but with a barbershop accord. However, for the asking price, I expect better sillage and longevity (not to mention more originality).

Profumum's an okay line but their scents haven't really wowed me.

To me this is a wonderful scent. I've been hoarding my sample for over a year, wearing it when I needed the sense of something comforting and big, multi-layered. It's something like the golden retriever of barbershop frags: big paws, lovely disposition, companionable, perhaps not brilliant enough to help you with the Times crossword. It is not particularly original, although I don't have any other experience with almond notes. It is very well done, though, well balanced and just a wonderful smell. And it may be that the excitement of new effects sometimes distracts attention on the boards from what just smells great. I think of the so-so reviews for Villoresi's serviceable but relatively unoriginal Uomo as compared to the (well-justified) raves about the inventiveness of Yerbamate or Piper Nigrum. But if you watch the SOTD and Frags Wanted threads, it's Uomo that you see again and again. To me Antico Caruso smells great and is the sort of company I often want to keep.
    I would have to sell my other kidney to buy a bottle, though. Curse you, Profumum!

Gents, I am sorry, I have been distracted lately, and haven't checked back on this thread.

Hmmm, you want more...

I think the Dior is a little bit better, frankly. The old barbershop element is there in AC, and if that's not something you want, then pass. I wouldn't blind buy anything anymore, so I would definitely not recommend you buy this blind.

I like AC better for cooler temps. It has to be applied with a spray (from the bottle it's a bit oily) and with almost arms-length misting not directly onto the skin. I think it has admirable longevity, in a soft powdery kind of way.

It cracks me up when I read some "noses" saying they smell a dozen or so notes floating all over the place when they behold this. To me it's almond talc, fairly pure and simple, with a little something (a tiny touch of lime up front? A smidgen of sandalwood at the back end? Well, maybe....just).

Hey, thanks for the input. I actually tried a few from the Profumum line and almost disliked or didn't care for everything I tried, including AC. Their sandalwood scent was okay, but I'd rather own Tam Dao, and I'm still testing Fumidus. It's nice, but there's this one pungent wet soil type note in their that reminds me of my backyard.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 7th March 2008 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Hey, thanks for the input. I actually tried a few from the Profumum line and almost disliked or didn't care for everything I tried, including AC. Their sandalwood scent was okay, but I'd rather own Tam Dao, and I'm still testing Fumidus. It's nice, but there's this one pungent wet soil type note in their that reminds me of my background.
    Victrix is very, very good however.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Victrix is very, very good however.
    I heard good things...but when I was checking out the description and notes, I'm not generally a huge fan of green based or smelling scents. Also, vetiver is a tricky note on my skin. I actually hate the note. The only one I could stand was Creed OV which comes off more soapy and clean than raw, sharp and pungent. I detest FM Vetiver Ex. and MPG Route de Vetiver to a max.

I think it smells very nice. It has some similarities with Le Male, but this one is much more refined, and has excellent sillage and staying-power. Very elegant and classy, yet modern and trendy.

AC to me is like a comfort food in the fragrance world...warm and familiar, not terribly complex, yet very satisfying and reliable for what it is...if you like almond and sandalwood, you will enjoy this one.

Good description. I love it. Must wear it this week.

I cannot stand the opening, it's a bit too harsh but, it settles very quick and it's a very long lasting almond and sandalwood. It's like a mix of a barbershop fragrance and a sweet vanilla fragrance without having any vanilla. I e received more compliments than I thought I would with this one.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I tried this and wasn't really impressed.

Profumum's an okay line but their scents haven't really wowed me.
    Same feeling.