Code of Conduct

Thread: Why oh why????

Default Why oh why????

Hi people been gone for a while but I'm back now and will try to be more active in this community....I have a lot more reviews to write now and plan on doing it soon. Anyway enough of the sappy crap lets get down to buisness. One of the reasons I stopped using this website was for the simple fact there are a lot of people on here who are for lack of a better word ignorant. Now I don't mean there rude or anything I just mean there writing reviews either uninformed or blinded by preducitce! I'll give you an example lets star out with all the "drug store/cheap fragrance" bashing. People are using this term far to often as an insult to a fragrance. Now I know everyones taste in a fragrance is diffrent, but there are a lot of nice fragrances out there in the drug stores in the $10 to $30 range, for example I like Perfered Stock, Gravity, Canoe, Jovan Musk and a few others, and I know there are a lot of horrible ones out there too(Aqua Velva anyone?). There are also a lot of bad real bad designer fragrances out there too proably more bad desinger fragrances then good ones!!!!!!! So all I'm saying is before you review something or compare something to something else be sure you do your homework. I mean just because you wore a "cheap drugsore sent" once or twice or smelled a few a couple of times doesn't make you an expert on all of them!!!!!! I mean jst because it didn't come from a fancy boutique or you didn't pay $100 or more for it on ebay doesn't make it a bad sent. If you check my wardrobe I have a nice mix of expensive designer colgnes to cheapper ones....because I don't judge a fragrance on its dollar value I judge it on it's value as a fragrance. Well anyway people looking forward to some intelligent replies to agree or debate. Peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why oh why????

Welcome back.

Are you by any chance Savvy_Nose's alter ego?

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have never had the impression that this forum is overly snotty. On the other hand it assembles quite a bit of experience and expertise on fragrances. Ignorance: no, if anything you mean arrogance.

But even here I cannot agree with our harsh critique. Plenty of posters here or one the review board have pointed out they like and respect certain drugstore fragrances. Tabac, for one, is frequently mentioned. And let's face it. Drugstore fragrances will generally be inacceptable to anyone who spends serious amounts of time and money with perfumes that are aimed at a clientele more concerned with how they smell, made with higher quality ingredients and with more time and care. If I'm used to eating in four star restaurants, do you think I could get any pleasure out of a McDonalds Crapburger or Pizza Hut's perversion of a Neapolitan classic?

This is not to say that there are not some decent mass market frags - and anyone here will agree that many "designer" frags are awful. Jeez, plenty of people here don't like Creed and make that quite clear. I think most of us are more willing than average consumers to give any fragrance a chance, because we're extremely curious people rather than stuck-up perfume elitists. But we're also educated enough fragrance-wise to know that in 99 out of 100 cases, a drugstore fragrance is likely to be less than inspiring, simply because so many of them use a basic set of cheap synthetics. I like Jovan Ginseng NRG by the way

So, I look forward to your reviews and active discussion without accusations of ignorance that benefit nobody. This is all about the pleasures of smell.

P.S.: [teacher mode on] your post would have been easier to read if you used paragraphs and watched your spelling just a bit more [teacher mode off].
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would have more to say if I were able to decipher what you were saying, thrilla. No offense.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Jovan's White Musk and McDonald's french fries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I like Jovan's White Musk and McDonald's french fries.
    I like Shycat !

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I love pizza hut pizza. Can't go to Naples everytime, can I?

As for the fragrances, there's more bashing on Armani and BOSS than on lower end frags.

Concerning myself: I mentioned Javari so often that I had to stop myself doing it. My gf likes to wear Barclay Woman No. 2 and I love it on her. Today I started a thread mentioning that I love the AS of Tabac Culture Egypt Dreams (which seems to be discontinued). But unfortunately, many of the cheaper stuff I SEE AROUND HERE is some fresh young woodsy blah. Sure, there are designers that are just as bad (I will never buy Bulgari ph or Blu, I feel that I can have the same laundry smell for much less money), but I have yet to come across a lower end fragrance that does for me what the stuff in my wardrobe does. If there's a good one, why shouldn't I wear it? I just can't FIND it.

Besides that, how can you be so sure they are either "uninformed" or blinded by what seems to read as prejudice?
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 17th November 2006 at 02:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    I would have more to say if I were able to decipher what you were saying, thrilla. No offense.
    Agreed. I think, in general, I see what you are getting at, but trying to wade through all that just takes the energy I would have had in making a thorough response. Using paragraph breaks, at least TRYING to spell things right, and avoiding run-on sentences will help a lot in provoking a good debate.

In general, though, I agree with the others that there is much more designer bashing than cheap-fragrance bashing (just like there is more bashing of Armani and Boss on fashion forums than of Wal-mart's "George" line).

I would say that most of us have less problem with "drugstore" fragrances that are very inexpensive than we do with boring, poorly-constructed or bland designer fragrances that are no better, but charge $50-60 and put them in a fancy bottle/box.

Nevertheless, often the designation "drugstore" IS a negative adjective, because sometimes they smell like something that crawled under my house and died (and, smells SYNTHETICALLY like it, too). What's more, I like the idea of wearing a scent that was created by someone who really loves the "idea" of scent and knows how to make unique contributions to that art (like LV, L'artisan, etc.) rather than by some huge corporate entity who probably utilizes robotic technology to design their fragrances and makes everything from fragrances to car batteries.

John
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 17th November 2006 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Why oh why????

I thought Mcdonalds was Haute Cuisine. Boy. I better get out of town more often. Seriously. I think a well constructed scent is just that. A well constucted scent. I am not really interested in where it is sold or how much I paid for it. If I like the smell Its just that simple. I think I'll have some Old Spice Neat with a Fumarie Turque backer tonight.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors