Code of Conduct

Default Original Santos De Cartier

Having used this back in the very early 90's, I was somewhat dismayed to find that this fragrance is not the same as I remember. I have read elsewhere that the formula was changed. Does anyone know why this was done and is the old original still available anywhere in the world? Also, was the concentree version also altered or does it remain true to the orginal?

Kind Regards

Default Re: Original Santos De Cartier

To answer your question, basically almost everything has been reformulated today, because of restrictions/scarcity of materials (such as natural musk or ambergris etc) or purposeful elimination of allergens (like the IFRA guidelines demand).
    I have not done a side by side comparison of the two, but have heard myself of reformulation on this by people who have been using it. Myself I always liked the original. Very macho!
    The Concentree is another version with a slight re-orchastration. I know there are people who have been using it, so wait a bit and they will chime in.

Unfortunately, I never experienced the original Santos De Cartier EdT. I *did* buy a bottle of the concentree version. I have a very small amount left.

I have a bottle of the new formulation, non-concentree and it is OK. It is definitely a lesser creature than the other, but that is to be expected just on the concentree basis alone.

Last week I stopped by the Cartier boutique to check out their full line. Unfortunately, all they had was Eau de Cartier, Declaration, Must de Cartier, and Santos concentree for men. Of those, Declaration was nice and acceptable, but I've got so many woody oriental fragrances already it's got to be a standout to get my attention. I did like Must de Cartier, but they don't stock samples.

When I tried the Santos Concentree, the saleslady who had been gliding in and out as I was spraying and smelling bolted over: "What's that last one you sprayed?" I think it's still the standout of the bunch. Sometime next year I'll probably buy the new concentree formulation and will be able to give a full side-by-side comparison with my old bottle. Despite reformulation it remains a powerhouse scent with head-turning appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by helg
    To answer your question, basically almost everything has been reformulated today, because of restrictions/scarcity of materials (such as natural musk or ambergris etc) or purposeful elimination of allergens (like the IFRA guidelines demand).
    Do you mean nearly all fragrances by all the fashion houses have been reformulated? If so, I wasn't aware of this. Santos Cartier is the only one I have come across that smells different to how I once remember it. I recently picked up Egoiste and worried that it may have changed in the intervening years but (to my nose at least) it is still the same.

Does anyone have another experiences of fragrances that have seemed to change over time?

Regards