Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Ketchup on Eggs ... confess your weird layering experiments

You know, the first time I heard that my cousin Rodney ate scrambled eggs with ketchup (or catsup, if you prefer), I thought "Gross!" Of course, fact is, it's really good, and it just goes to show you, experimentation can prove worthwhile.

Tonight, as my Nuits de Noho was fading, I thought I'd switch over to Alfred Sung Sha. Let's pause here and look at those notes--
    NdN: Bergamot, Mandarin, Pineapple Leaves; Jasmine, Rosewood; Vanilla, Patchouli, Grey Musk.
    Sha: Waterlily, Spring Muguet, Ylang, Dewy Ivy Vine; Frangipani, Jasmin, Sambac, Blooming Lilac Tree, Hibiscus; Cedarwood, Soft Musk, Heliotrope Flower.

Moments after applying the Sha, I hungered to reapply a dab of NdN. Darned if they didn't fit together nicely--powdery lilac, pineapple and that Angel-like chocolate/patchouli accord. Who knew?

Any new experiments you care to air?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Ketchup on Eggs ... confess your weird layering experiments

I have noticed that even if I believe something has faded, applying something else to it can refresh it mightily. This sometimes works against me, since the reason for my layering is to erase the bad memory of the first.

However, tonight I have applied Jailia over some old Tam Dao. This has worked quite well and I might now need this overpriced Jailia stuff when I run out of Angel.

I also layer Lola oil over Haie Fleurie, with very happy results. This has become a favorite of mine. The sharp bergamot of the oil works well with I perceive as bein crisp grass in the L'Artisan.

The worst thing I ever did, hands down, was to spray some Light Blue over a sandalwood lotion. I immediately gave away (not even bothering to swap) the two bottles of Light Blue I had.

I should know about layering. My mother is still fond of mayo and baked beans, and has been known to use peach yogurt in lasagna.

Blog Entries

I am the self confessed queen of crazy layering and consider no scent sacred in the fun of discovering new fragrant combo's!!

Just recently I chose to wear my long beloved Tabu but unfortunately that temperamental patchouli / neroli combo chose to misbehave on my skin. Luckily divine inspiration struck and I spritz my new Yardley Orange Blossom EDT over the offensive brew.

Well, such beauty! Such rapture! Dana Tabu transformed into the most haunting, devastatingly gorgeous feminine elixir with captivating sillage.

It is so good that I am seriously considering premixing a little 5/10ml bottle of the blend so that I can have it readily to hand whenever I desire...

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Well, my most successful layering was the one I wrote the haiku about the other day,
    Chanel no. 19 on the outside of my forearm and Hanae Mori butterfly on the inside... the green stabilized the sweet of the butterfly... loved the harmonious balance it created, sort of like bringing earth and air together. And both had matching staying power throughout the day, which was nice.

On a horrid note, I used my Neutrogena sesame body oil, which I normally love and have been wearing on and off for 30 years, and spritzed some Burberry Brit over it...yargh! I need to swap or give away the BB because of that...it has put me off...the nutty sesame performed an evil alchemy upon the Burberry... I want to never speak of it again!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I'm a chicken so I don't layer often, the only thing that comes to mind is Montaigne edt layered over Hanae Mori edp.

Well...I'm very new to layering,so haven't been experimenting that much.I've bought a couple of TBS oils to try layering more,though. Two scents I have tried to layer is first Samsara(that I unfortunately can't wear alone since it ends up making me sick)and then added a bit of Tam Dao.That took away some of the ,to me,unpleasant sweetness in Samsara.Not too bad really

I really haven't done too much layering. I'm new at this so I'm still getting to know a lot of scents just as themselves. I would appreciate suggestions of what I might layer with Premier Figuier to get that beautiful green top note to stand out and linger a bit longer, though.

Blog Entries

Ooh! I love TBS oils & EDTs for layering. Some previous success stories for me include:

Vanilla + Cassis Rose
    White Musk + Cassis Rose
    Tea Rose + Japanese Musk
    Zinzibar + Altaro = Javari for women
    Satsuma + Amorito
    Satsuma + Cinnamon Spice
    Cassis Rose + Velique
    Japanese Musk + Minteva
    Vanilla + Cinnamon Spice
    Strawberry + Amorito
    Vanilla + Cosy Cashmere
    Strawberry + Ananya
    Fuzzy Peach + Japanese Musk
    Cassis Rose + Sequin Sparkle
    Sequin Sparkle + White Musk
    Cosy Cashmere + Cinnamon Spice
    Woody Sandalwood + Satsuma
    Cosy Cashmere + Woody Sandalwood
    Pink Pepper + Altaro
    Indian Gardenia + Japanese Musk
    Cosy Cashmere + Lemon Tea
    White Musk + Japanese Musk
    Cosy Cashmere + Altaro
    Indian Gardenia + Neroli Jasmine (+ Coconut) = gorgeous full blown tropical floral, similar in feel to Guerlain Mahora
    Coconut + Amorito
    Neroli Jasmine + Altaro
    Cosy Cashmere + Neroli Jasmine
    Minteva + Lemon Tea
    Lemon Tea + Beleaf
    Japanese Musk + Lemon Tea
    Lemon Tea + Satsuma

One day soon I'll list the combinations with non Lush scents.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

This more fun than those Jelly Belly jelly bean combos the company suggests on their packaging! :bounce: You know, cappucino with raspberry; pina colada and popcorn.

Had an inadvertent one today- started out this ayem with Guerlain AA Pamplelune which lasted reallly well through the day - went from fizzy grapefruit-over-lavender to sweet musky vanilla. Came home to LES NEZ SAMPLES! was careless in opening the little pouch containing some spilled L'Antimatiere.

Et voila! Instant layering!

I wouldn't do it again - I like the greeny, dry dusty musk of L'A but it doesn't complement the fruity/flowery/musk.

But thanks Quarry, for the topic and the ideas it has spawned. Gotta pass on the eggs and catsup though. How about chunky peanut butter on banana with Kai!!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

My crazing layering today was:

Caron Farnesiana parfum + TBS Vanilla (vintage)

I had fancied a foody vanilla smell but today Farnesiana stubbornly decided to remain strictly powdery ambery floral so I anointed myself with my vintage Vanilla oil. At first nothing, Farnesiana continued to thumb her nose in a very unladylike manner at me. But then the vanilla warmed on my skin and soon it was pure, non-cloying, mouthwatering raw vanilla batter sillage to go. Somehow it remained very elegant, and non foody. Maybe it is my skin chemistry. Either way a nice experience whilst it lasted.

Hubby found it delicious also and swept me off my feet. A good time was had by all!

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan + Daim Blonde (not really so weird)
    Chanel Cristalle and Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Mitsouko and Guerlain Vetiver (but the Mitsouko mostly ate the Vetiver)
    Opium bath powder (FYI just now out for Xmas) and Nanadebary Pink.

Another: I have layered Ambre Sultan beneath Fleurs d'Oranger. This is a magnificent beast of mythic proportions. For a while it was the only way I would wear the Sultan, which made for a very pricy combo. It only worked when I had equal amounts of both. I cannot wear FdO alone.

Something I am thinking of trying: Clair de Musc and Hiris. It's all so nouvelle cuisine.

A recent happy layering was TM Angel over Boucheron Initial.

Other combo's include wearing Black Cashmere etp over Cashmere Mist body lotion and mixing up Must de Cartier & Shalimar.

I like putting Stella or Attar Bazaar Sudanese Black Rose over top of Initial or Black Cashmere.

Boucheron Trouble and JPG Classique also blend well together, either the scents themselves, or putting a spritz of one over the ancillary of the other.

In the summer, I wore AG Le Jasmin over Hadrien Absolu and Eau de Cartier over Chanel No. 19.

I don't know what possessed me to do this, but I remember a few years back I used to rub drops of rose essential oil on my pulse points before spraying myself with Poison. I'm not sure if I (or anyone else ) liked the result but I think I was after creating some kind of crazy love potion.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    Ambre Sultan beneath Fleurs d'Oranger
    Amber and orange blossom regularly make a sizzling combination, but you may have struck on something special with this combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Tech_Radiance
    Stella ... Black Cashmere
    Hmm. The rose and sweet amber of Stella over the dry woodiness in BC. I'm going to have to sample that.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I put CdG Ouarzazate over POTL cream, Close Your Eyes And...over SMN Rose Talc, KM Gourmandises over Loukhoum (smells better than it sounds), just a few little dabs of iPdF Mirra extrait over Coty Wild Woods, Regina Harris over l'Aromarine Vanilla, Jalaine Green Tea over Citrus Dreams, iPdF Spezie over Perlier Chocolate body lotion, and I combined Seve Exquise with Jardins Ottomans by accident while decanting them one day. I filled a 10 ml bottle about halfway with SE , answered the phone, and absent-mindedly grabbed the JO (the bottles look alike) and started to spray right into the bottle while talking. I hung up the phone, saw what I did and nearly fainted. After the juices had a chance to mingle for a few weeks, the combination became really good though.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman
    I hung up the phone, saw what I did and nearly fainted.
    I can imagine!

I like Neutrogena Sesame Body Oil under Kingdom.

(and I like cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches).

The most weird thing Iīve done is when I blended quite a few samples from L`Artisan together in a decant vial. I think the scents were Poivre Piquant, Safran Troublant, Voleur de Roses, Ambre Extreme and Vanilia. It didnīt smell good at first, but after a couple of days I thought I had gotten quite an appealing mix, at least for the first minutes after application. To call the dry down awful is an understatement, so I quickly got rid of the stinky stuff..

Being a "vanillaholic", I have layered a bunch of scents with Vanille Bourbon from Yves Rocher, with various results. What I have learned from that is not to add vanilla to scents that havenīt already got it as a note. Of course there must be exceptions, when it actually works, but I cannot recommend layering vanilla with O de Lancome or Je Reviens

C&S no 88 + Cuiron = nono. but to wear no 88 and leather pants/jacket works really well.

Blog Entries

Goth Rosary Samhain body spray + Bvlgari Black is AWESOME!!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Tabac Blond and a little 10 Corso Como is perfect!!! I thinking the oud note in 10 Corso Como is not bad over dried-down Samsara either -- might be nice with a rose soliflore too...we'll see.