Code of Conduct

Thread: Quo vadis?

Default Quo vadis?

In a land far, far away, 36 years ago this month, ifconfig was pulled from the somewhat damp darkness of mama's womb into the light, slapped a few times (hard!) on the rump then summarily informed he was now to find his own way in the world.

And so far, I've gotten by with a little help from my friends (yeeaaaaah! I get by with a little help from my friends... sorry :brolly: )

So once again, I need a little help from my friends--I'm at an impasse: I've obtained permission from SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) to purchase "one good perfume. One!" and so naturally, I want two: Chergui and New Haarlem. But since she must be obeyed and since I can obtain them both for very close to the same price, it's dilemma time.

Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Quo vadis?

Dark and mysterious, or very gourmand nouveau?
    Decide you must, Skywalker.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

First suggestion: as you are so keen to SWMBO, and as it seems you like both of them, why not let her chose her fav on you?
    Personal suggestion: I would go fot Chergui eventually

In my opinion, Chergui is so much better than New Haarlem. So, I suggest Chergui.

I far prefer Chergui myself, but I don't know what YOU like.

What kind of smells are you partial to?

Once purchased, what environment(s) would the fragrance in question be worn in?

My current swap list:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189152

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I don't know Chergui, but I have the 100ml New Haarlem. It's VERY gourmand (as another member mentioned). I like it very much for chilly nights, since it has a very nice warm and comforting aura about it... but be prepared to smell like coffee and chocolate. I remember one of my students told me that I smelled like a Starbuck's.

Nevertheless, it is actually quite a versatile fragrance and one of the best Bond's I've had to layer with (it seems like an excellent "base"... though it is still good on its own). Depending on the type of fragrance you choose, you can really change the dynamic from that sort of dark, warm fragrance to something very unique (You can add leathers, you can add florals, you can add citrus-y things... one of the strangest was when I layered the lemony Monsieur Balmain with it. Another good one to layer with for a little sweeter scent is Fresh Cannabis Santal).

If Chergui is less expensive, I'd go with that. As much as I like New Haarlem, I don't know that it's worth $178 for the 100ml or $105 for the 50ml (luckily, I got mine from a fellow basenoter for less).
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 18th November 2006 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    I far prefer Chergui myself, but I don't know what YOU like.

What kind of smells are you partial to?

Once purchased, what environment(s) would the fragrance in question be worn in?

My current swap list:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189152
    This is going to be in the "special" category for infrequent use: formal parties, special birthdays, occasions, etc.

I like full, heavy and interesting fragrances, at least for those types of activities.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    I don't know Chergui, but I have the 100ml New Haarlem. It's VERY gourmand (as another member mentioned). I like it very much for chilly nights, since it has a very nice warm and comforting aura about it... but be prepared to smell like coffee and chocolate. I remember one of my students told me that I smelled like a Starbuck's.
    I love Coffee and Chocolate. I love Starbucks!

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Nevertheless, it is actually quite a versatile fragrance and one of the best Bond's I've had to layer with (it seems like an excellent "base"... though it is still good on its own). Depending on the type of fragrance you choose, you can really change the dynamic from that sort of dark, warm fragrance to something very unique (You can add leathers, you can add florals, you can add citrus-y things... one of the strangest was when I layered the lemony Monsieur Balmain with it).

If Chergui is less expensive, I'd go with that. As much as I like New Haarlem, I don't know that it's worth $178 for the 100ml or $105 for the 50ml (luckily, I got mine from a fellow basenoter for less).
    Well, my hope is to get it for much less than $178 for the 100ml. Much less. If that's the case, do you still go for Chergui?

Well, looking at your wardrobe, I think you'd be better off with Chergui. New Haarlem would be equally fabulous, but "full, heavy"- that's the domain of SL. You will not be disappointed.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    This is going to be in the "special" category for infrequent use: formal parties, special birthdays, occasions, etc.

I like full, heavy and interesting fragrances, at least for those types of activities.
    Then only Arabie or Fumerie Turque will do!

From your options I believe Chergui is the more appropriate choice...

But still urge you to consider my suggestions.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I love Coffee and Chocolate. I love Starbucks!

Well, my hope is to get it for much less than $178 for the 100ml. Much less. If that's the case, do you still go for Chergui?
    If you can get a good deal on it, then I would say go for the Bond. LIke I said, it is one of those interesting things that is good by itself and is amazing as a layered fragrance.

And, the bottles are pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Then only Arabie or Fumerie Turque will do!

From your options I believe Chergui is the more appropriate choice...

But still urge you to consider my suggestions.
    You chose the right smiley, Moondeva!

I have heard so much about Fumerie Turque and to a lesser extent, Arabie, I just have never sniffed them.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Well, looking at your wardrobe, I think you'd be better off with Chergui. New Haarlem would be equally fabulous, but "full, heavy"- that's the domain of SL. You will not be disappointed.

-ben
    Thank you for the enlightenment, Ben! It's begging to look a lot like Chergui...

You wear Chergui in Idaho and people are going to mistake you for a haystack . Maybe you should consider Arabie, it will turn your mistress into your slave. Then, buy whatever you want .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    You wear Chergui in Idaho and people are going to mistake you for a haystack . Maybe you should consider Arabie, it will turn your mistress into your slave. Then, buy whatever you want .
    Hahah! You have a point there! As long as it's not a wet haystack.

What are Arabie's notes again?

They are both world class fragrances created by distinguished and reknowned "noses". It really depends on how they react to your skin and body chemistry. If I had to choose between the two I'd be faced with a similar dilemma. My suggestion: test them both out and choose the one that last longer and smells better on you! Not too long ago, I had to choose between Bleecker Street and Czech and Speake No. 88 and asked the forum for advise. I got BLASTED by some members who thought that it was inappropriate to ask such questions in here.. but I ended up buying them both. I have to dig up my archives but it should be here.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    {edit}Not too long ago, I had to choose between Bleecker Street and Czech and Speake No. 88 and asked the forum for advise. I got BLASTED by some members who thought that it was inappropriate to ask such questions in here.{edit}.
    What's this, BLASTED, you say? That's not very nice considering the board's a "male fragrance discussion" board. Now, if you'd asked for advice on 2,4,5-dietheylmonosulphate and monoborobenzoic acid, perhaps there'd be a problem, no?

Blog Entries

[...]What are Arabie's notes again?
    ::takes a deep breath::

'cedar, sandalwood resin, candied mandarin peel, dried fig, date, nutmeg, cumin, clove, Ceylon cardamon, bay leaf, balsamic resins, tonka bean, Siamese benzoin, myrhh, cistus labdanum, rockrose, light tobacco note.'

Arabie is dark as sin and twice as sweet - an unholy trangression worth risking your immortal soul for...

or not.

Right now that I'm done with the hyperbole :-

Arabie is a very dark, resinous blend similar in texture to Guerlain' s AA Winter Delice but much, much darker and richer. I actually love to wear them layered together.

Arabie appears at first to be quite gourmand with the spice, dates, figs and candied mandarin peel dominating when first sprayed but please do not be deceived. Arabie soon develops / morphs into the deepest smokey incensy delight with the ambery leather sensuality of the cistus labdanum and rock rose entwining deliciously with the siamese benzoin and vanillic tonka bean (oh Serge, always you are there with the hay note). This divine dark miasma goes on for hours but is never overpowering - just keeps drawing you (and others) in ...

The confusing thing for me is just how 'clean' the very end of this scent is - like Caron Poivre. The morning after wearing this, or at least a good 8 -10 hours later this beauty is a soft scentsual caress upon the skin which begs for you to reapply and begin the whole demonic dance again. In fact I have to stop myself wearing it too often as I have been known to neglect my other beauties for days as I ride the Arabie Express again and again.

*sigh*

Can you tell I love this scent? I think I'll go put some on...

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Moon:

Errr ... Wow! That sounds positively luscious! Drool.

Oh, by the way, thanks for making my job easier. Where do you live again, Hell? Positively Devilish, that.

Despite (or because of?) Moondeva's "help", I was able to make a decision: I went with Chergui! Today, I received a sample of New Haarlem and finally decided I wasn't a coffee gourmand after all, more's the pity--so it's Chergui, Chergui, Chergui.

Hmm... don't write off gourmands completely just because of New Harleem. I love Gourmand scents and I think NH is complete crap. It was not well balanced to me, had too much coffee and became sickening. Try some others.

You definately made the right choice by going with Chergui! Amazing scent. As for Arabie, fantastic also, but definately not one that can be grasped in just one wearing. I believe it can be had for the reasonable price of $60 from Perfumebay.com. Check it out.

On the other hand, my sample of Ava Luxe Cafe Noir came in today as well (joy, joy, joy!) and I have to say this is really, really good. Much better balance than NH and it feels so much better on the little patch of skin I have it on right now. You're right G., I'll have to give this class of perfumes another go.

Arabie sounds delightful. As things are right now however, I think it's time to stop and smell the perfumes, to corrupt the saying, so no more perfumes for a while. :-)

Blog Entries

But you NEED to try Arabie! You know you do!...

There can be no peace until you have drunk of this devilish brew...

::cackles in demonic delight::

Oh but I will, dear moon, I will. Chergui is coming with a bunch of samples included in the order, one of which--in fact, the first of which I asked for--is Arabie.

I can't wait for the order to arrive (NOW!!) after which I will tell you what I think, moon. Not that it will make any difference to you! :-)

Blog Entries

I can't wait for the order to arrive (NOW!!) after which I will tell you what I think, moon. Not that it will make any difference to you! :-)
    Now, now - play nice! I was only trying to help... *sniff*

I meant you'd never stop loving Arabie regardless of my review of it. :-)

Something tells me I'm going to love Arabie anyway.

What do you think of Fumerie Turque, Moon?