Code of Conduct

Default Wrestling with scents

At the moment I'm wrestling with YSL's M7. I haven't bought it yet for this reason.

I really, really love the the heavenly drydown, but I have a hard time getting over the piercingly bitter opening and middle. At some points it doesn't seem that bad, but then it becomes all fumey and choking the next. It's really hard to pin down and settle on a "I like" or a "I don't like" with this unique scent.

Have you ever tried hard to like a certain fragrance because at times it seemed really wonderful - or did you just give up eventually?

Default Re: Wrestling with scents

I had the hardest time with Prada APH. 5 testings and still struggled with it. Now I can't stop wearing it! I came to the conclusion that it wasn't something that I was expecting the Prada scent to smell like, especially the word 'Amber' in there. Now I feel so good wearing it, smells like good hotel guest soaps and the smell of skin. The everlasting 'just bathed' smell.

Wish I could take my review off the Directory, because I did a 180 with this one.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I've come to the conclusion that when a scent is hard to get, it gets all the more appealing to me. I *must* grasp it and come to terms with it, as it's so elusive.

Fragrances that are immediately gratifiying are good and all, but it's the ones that take effort to "get" that makes my nose evolve.

I don't know how my relationship with M7 will end, but sitting here and sniffing the gorgeous drydown on my wrist, surely it can't be that bad?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been 'wrestling' with Chanel Egoiste recently. I'm starting to think I just don't like it and I'm not sure quite why; a slightly sickly topnote or something and perhaps too much vanilla for my taste.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'HermŤs | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jaisen
    I've come to the conclusion that when a scent is hard to get, it gets all the more appealing to me. I *must* grasp it and come to terms with it, as it's so elusive.

Fragrances that are immediately gratifiying are good and all, but it's the ones that take effort to "get" that makes my nose evolve.

I don't know how my relationship with M7 will end, but sitting here and sniffing the gorgeous drydown on my wrist, surely it can't be that bad?

Yup, it's that French theory of scent creation where the true allure of the scent is to add the repulsion note or that dirty note to make it truly appealing. I think there's an absolute truth to that.

I love the original M7, but have a hard time with the clashing of citrus and oud in the fraiche version. The oud makes the citrus project too much, too sharp for my taste.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 18th November 2006 at 09:00 PM.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick

Yup, it's that French theory of scent creation where the true allure of the scent is to add the repulsion note or that dirty note to make it truly appealing.
    Interesting! Can you tell more about this?

Seeing as I love Kouros, perhaps I agree with it?

Kouros to me has that note or combination of notes that mimic that underlying BO smell to my nose, but surrounding it are these soapy and green top and middle notes. There was definitely no subtlety to it's dirty note(s) however. If you read a lot of previous posts people are constantly struggling with that dirty note. I admire its presence in Caron PUH, Jicky, Habit Rouge.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Recently I thought about wrestling with top notes: Would it be a method to get rid of these if you would apply the frag, and then gently try to wash it off? Because every time I tried a fragrance, found out that I didn't like it and tried to wash it off, the base notes would still be there.

M7 must -- IMHO -- be applied about one hour prior to going out in public. The drydown takes about one hours to "set in" and -- thereafter, and only thereafter -- does the scent become the work of genius that it is. Prior to that, it's Stinkum City all the way. (Just my two cents' worth.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    I've been 'wrestling' with Chanel Egoiste recently. I'm starting to think I just don't like it and I'm not sure quite why; a slightly sickly topnote or something and perhaps too much vanilla for my taste.
    I think I have very similar problem with Egoiste and Geir. They both have notes which in themselves are good (that is not bad at all), but together are against me. I had known that Geir is floral and sweet at the same time. Now, reading your comment I suddenly realized that the situation is similar with Egoiste.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    M7 must -- IMHO -- be applied about one hour prior to going out in public. The drydown takes about one hours to "set in" and -- thereafter, and only thereafter -- does the scent become the work of genius that it is. Prior to that, it's Stinkum City all the way. (Just my two cents' worth.)
    I absolutely agree with you...Before applying M7 i literally prepare myself as if i am going to do a 90kg benchpress...i breathe hard...and then hold my breath...coz the very first minute of M7 is just unbearable...but the drydown is so heavenly...well worth the pain...

gupts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy
    M7 or Kouros ?
    -