Code of Conduct

Default In no mood for jicky

Just a whiff of Jicky EDP. OK, blasphemy, but to me its Caron pour un homme with shit added. Or rather, Daltroff had the brilliant idea of beating the shit out of Jicky and the result was Caron puh. Yeah I know it's more complicated, but hell, this so smells like crap on the opening. I can have that from my baby's diapers plenty. Poor little civets had to die for this ?

Ok, now beat the crap out of me (discursively mind you) all you guys who gave this thumbs up in the directory. Only Col's with me...right?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: In no mood for jicky

Scratch that one off my list.

Seasons Greetings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Just a whiff of Jicky EDP. OK, blasphemy, but to me its Caron pour un homme with shit added. Or rather, Daltroff had the brilliant idea of beating the shit out of Jicky and the result was Caron puh. Yeah I know it's more complicated, but hell, this so smells like crap on the opening. I can have that from my baby's diapers plenty. Poor little civets had to die for this ?

Ok, now beat the crap out of me (discursively mind you) all you guys who gave this thumbs up in the directory. Only Col's with me...right?
    Er... no little civets died - they were just aggravated a lot! You know... for the good of the 'crop'.

Jicky is an amazing modern blend well ahead of its time but sadly it gets rather overlooked / neglected in my collection for the following reasons:

It is way too schizophrenic for my taste and never seems 'right' to wear. The fresh, sharp herbaceous lavender is perfect in summer but then the animalic resinous base is too cloying in summer heat. Conversely, the rich, sultry, vanillic base (very reminiscent of Dragon's Blood metallic resinous aroma) is amazing and distinguished in grey, wet, sub-zero temperatures in winter days and nights but the pungent, green lavender opening, which in winter tends to linger, seems wildly out of place and drives the 'cold' further into the bones. A bit like wearing a light summery jacket in a snowstorm.

So sadly, though I appreciate the mastery and beauty of this classical blend, I very rarely wear it at all.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Jicky gave my nose an education all right. I can see why this is a classic, and I will, if only for reference reasons, be getting a fuller bottle of this superlative fragrance in time.

Angry Re: In no mood for jicky

I've only tested Jicky (alongside several classic feminine Guerlains) but it didn't appeal to me at all.

As for civets, I strongly believe no animal should be made to suffer unnecessarily; and as much as I like perfume, in my view it is anything but necessary.

I don't really like the Jicky EDP, but the EDT is beautiful. I don't detect any civet, and I still get great longevity. Just a beautiful scent and one of most versatile I own.

Talking Re: In no mood for jicky

LOL!

I was but now I love it! The tester I tried way back was very very bad indeed. But I do understand what you mean, it does have one helluva blast at the beginning!

Go back to it in a few months, you may be as suprised as I was.

hmmm... don't judge Jicky by its topnotes. Some of the greatest perfumes ever aren't pleasing at first whiff, I guess Jicky is no exception. I say the hell with pretty topnotes. Be patient and check out that wonderful drydown.

ps: if you want to understand the origins of modern male perfumery (incluiding Caron's PuH), this one is absolutely essential.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Last edited by pluran; 30th November 2011 at 09:46 PM.
    Perfumes are drugs. The only reason I smell them and wear them is because I like them.

"You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

I had the same experience upon testing Jicky Parfum.

I sprayed a few good shots of it on my body and *Bam!* it smelled really bad! I figured, "This is a revered classic, the drydown must be amazing." It was, as I remember. I guess this is akin to you "can't judge a book by its cover." Man was it an unpleasant smell though.

What not to do: carry an atomizer on a date, and spray some on in the ladys presence!

:O)

I waffle on this one (wear the EDP). It is either tremendously and stinkily seductive or it is completely ordure-rific. The note that many find execrable does not subside with wear and it either has to be taken as a semi-perverse metaphor for the perfumer's English amour and appreciated as such (nothing like a good tumble in the rye) or it has to be rejected.

Personally, I think Jicky does a good job of softening lavender, which I often find harsh. So it does so by bathing it in vanilla and glandular secretions, but a good job it does.

Jicky does not mesh well with sweat. It is like adding an overkill layer of toe jam to the mix. I know, because I wore it and stood in line at the post office in 100 degree heat and was very much aware of my fine funky self.

I like it, the EDP. Pretty hard to miss, unique, classic, sexy in an acceptable way....maybe.

Thats just the allure of it to me.
    My grandmother liked pretty classy things and I can still remember finding a little bottle of Jicky on the dresser shelf when I was a kid. Wondering "what the...holy cow!" then my grandmother saying "David! put that back...carefully!"

Ooops.

Maybe thats why I like it. A little forbidden scent that comes back through time to punch me in the nose...nicely.

Yup, I wear this one occasionally.

"Dad! those girls are looking at me weird"

just for you thrax.

ha ha!

Thrax

Lavender and civet!?! I'm getting out of here while the going is good!!!

I recoiled in horror when I smelled Jicky at the Guerlain counter in Selfridges. It stinks of something horrible!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I am nearly always in the mood for my beloved Jicky but I have to admit that it was not love on first smell. On the contrary I was completely shoked by the initial blast of civet (I own the EdP) and I listed it immediately "for swap" but only for two days until I began to absolutely love this beauty. Approximately 30 minutes after application this bad civet cat leaves the stage and supports the bright lavenders lecture with a gentle purring from the backstage area.

It seems that the first half our of Jicky EdP keeps a lot of people from falling in love with it but IMO it s worth while having a little patience and giving it a second chance.

Christian
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Jicky is an acquired taste, daring but nonetheless charming, not what one would expect from a concotion of lavender, civet & vanilla etc.
    Last edited by magnnum; 20th November 2006 at 11:25 PM.

When you're enmeshed in the smells of early parenthood it's simply too close to home - stacks of milkvomitsoiled laundry, stinky diapers, lavender baby lotion etc. etc. In that context, perfumes as fantasy escape, parent relaxant or just really dressing up for a change call for luxuriant spices, debonair sophistication or pure soothing calm. I'll shelve my decant until Emily starts kindergarten
    Last edited by the_good_life; 21st November 2006 at 12:18 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

When you're enmeshed in the smells of early parenthood it's simply too close to home - stacks of milkvomitsoiled laundry, stinky diapers, lavender baby lotion etc. etc. In that context, perfume as fantasy escape, parent relaxant or just really dressing up for a change call for luxuriant spices, debonair sophistication or pure soothing calm. I'll shelve my decant until Emily starts kindergarten
    lol!

Basenotes Institution

So...the_good_life - I'm wondering what you think about Jicky now that Emily is a bit older?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So...the_good_life - I'm wondering what you think about Jicky now that Emily is a bit older?
    LOL! Admittedly, Mouchoir de Monsieur and Jicky are not for everyone! It took some time for me to enjoy these!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    but to me its Caron pour un homme with shit added.
    _O_

We need more of these hardcore opinions.
    I love the mental image of Guerlain going berzerk in their labs and adding shit to Caron pour un homme.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 25th August 2010 at 04:41 AM.

Please send me all your unwanted bottles; I'll give them a good home. The old parfum de toilette formulation is especially welcome.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

some words in Jicky defense)

it's weird by modern standart and probably won't be an everyday business scent, but it's a mood fragrance, a story, a thing in itself.
    No other fragrance gives me that chic and relaxed attitude as Jicky does (EDT for warmer month, EDP for russian winter), you feel the History and wear a bit of it on your skin.

In Jicky's defense....It is a masterpiece and I love it....It moves through its notes like a great classic novel...With several clever plot twists and much beauty...

Secondly in "The Good Lifes" defense...When you're right, you're right...

Guerlain may be the greatest House in Perfume....They should have given us a Shalimar Pour Homme, and a choice between Jicky with or without cat-butt....As much as I love Jicky, there have been situations where I would have been better off with the "without" version....

Guerlain never had the forethought or courage or just never felt there was a market for a cleaner Jicky option....Caron Pour Un Homme may not be as complex or moody but it does have a very similar drydown with an incredible lavender upfront that I believe is unsurpassed even by Jicky...And the warm powdery glow halfway through to the end is heavenly and no one close to you has to "grin and bare" the fact they aren't perfume connoissers...lol

I know this is a very old thread...I discovered it today by accident, and I think its still as valid today as it was when it was started...Because I've heared all my life how great Jicky is, but I never heard of Caron's Pour Un Homme til I started lurking here on Basenotes....So heres another chance to hip someone to this great option...What do you think?
    "Music Is My Mistress, and She Plays Second Fiddle To No One"-Ellington

Basenotes Institution

Well I love Caron Pour un Homme and Jicky, but I really don't think of them as interchangeable or 'similar'. Now Mouchoir de Monsieur and Jicky, yes I smell the similarities for sure.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Not a fan of this one.

AromiErotici

Jicky parfum is awesome.

Jicky is the most civet-laden fragrance I have ever encountered. (No, I've not smelled Kouros). Coincidentally, I just bought Caron pour un Homme. A resemblance exists, but Jicky is much denser and more rich, to say the least... Caron is just a pleasant, polite fragrance. Jicky is from another dimension! (So to speak.)

I posted my impressions on first trying it here something like a year ago: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268...t=#post2041872

Jicky is hard to take I agree if you are not in the right mood.

The drydown is worth the wait I agree but it's hard to live through the opening - particularly on a warm day.

My preferred fragrance is Mouchoir de Monsieur which is sometimes described as "Jicky Lite", which is perhaps a fair description.

MdM is more versatile but still alludes to Jicky without feeling that you've had a cat's anal glands wiped all over you.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Enjoying both Jicky and MdM are both matters of tolerance and taste. I have to be in the mood for the civet of both.

When I first tried MdM, for that matter, I was horrified at the civet, but after a few wears, it grew on me.

It is my understanding that LVMH will not use real animalics in its scents, so I can rest at ease on wearing these.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I can understand why people have trouble with Jicky. But once it's on my skin it's not about civet at all. it's transformed into such a warm, sensual and elegant scent. Not dirty smelling at all. Sprayed onto a card or directly from the bottle it's a real different story. I don't think any perfume houses are using real animalics anymore. No reason to either, there are synthetics which are extremely true to life!
    Last edited by mrclmind; 1st December 2011 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Enjoying both Jicky and MdM are both matters of tolerance and taste. I have to be in the mood for the civet of both.

When I first tried MdM, for that matter, I was horrified at the civet, but after a few wears, it grew on me.

It is my understanding that LVMH will not use real animalics in its scents, so I can rest at ease on wearing these.
    It's more the case that you are not allowed to use real animal sourced musks in fragrance anymore.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by d4 View Post
    I've only tested Jicky (alongside several classic feminine Guerlains) but it didn't appeal to me at all.

As for civets, I strongly believe no animal should be made to suffer unnecessarily; and as much as I like perfume, in my view it is anything but necessary.
    No modern formulations of commercial fragrances have any real animal ingredients anymore -- all synthetic.

I love Jicky (especially EdP, would love to try vintage PdT), and its civet is moderate, compared to civet bombs like Kouros or Ungaro II. It's perfect for the weather in Los Angeles, where it could be 80 at noon but this time of year it drops to 50 at night, and dry as all get-out. Caron PuH is boring to me, lacking in character and depth, especially its vanilla which comes off like cheap american ice cream (pure ethyl vanillin, none of the real vanilla bourbon).

Jicky inspired a lot of other scents, including Mouchoir de Monsieur (of course), Davidoff Zino, Ungaro II, Givenchy Gentleman, Invasion Barbare, etc...
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 1st December 2011 at 11:00 PM.