Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default What scent will you wear to the movie "Perfume"?

All the chatter about the "Perfume" coffret of scents and the movie itself have me wondering--will you be wearing musk to a matinee or noir to nighttime show?

DH and I will probably go to a matinee, and he'd like nothing better than for me to wear Stella Rose Absolute. Otherwise I'd wear Carthusia IO because it's such a queer scent (tea and fig) and more relatable to what one might smell walking down an old European street (or so I imagine). Maybe I'll have to order something from our online shop <http://www.cafepress.com/basenotes> to illustrate to theater-goers my basenotes allegiance.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Default Re: What scent will you wear to the movie "Perfume"?

MKK I think..

Post Thanks / Like

im not sure I wish to wear any scent at all when watching the movie, maybe just bring a sample of something in my purse. I do look forward to the movie, but Im a bit scared that some scenes might be so repulsive (the end...), that I dont want to connect a special scent with the movie.
    Interesting to see what twist they have made out of the book; maybe the movie is beautiful?!

Tell me about this movie "Perfume". I've not heard a thing about it ??

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ecala
    Tell me about this movie "Perfume". I've not heard a thing about it ??
    Ah, step closer, Ecala, let me breathe word of this event in your tender ear....

You still have time to read the original Patrick Suskind novel behind the movie:
    http://www.amazon.com/Perfume-Patric...e=UTF8&s=books
    Check with your local library. Mine carried this book.

Here are details about the movie, slated for release in the U.S. this December. (It has already aired in parts of Europe.) Note that a coffret of scents has been bottled by Mugler to coincide with the major chapters/scenes.
    http://www.perfumemovie.com/

See also socalwoman's thread about the perfumer behind the fragrances inspired by this lurid story.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189545
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Wow! Sounds trs intriguing.

I may be leaning towards musse's fear as well...
    otherwise, perhaps I would wear Tabac Blond, or Opium as first encounters with each of these scents made the most impact on me thus far.
    But like Musse, I would not want to mar my associations with them...
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I'll wear something nice, dark and carnal - maybe Fracas or Narcisse Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    .... but Im a bit scared that some scenes might be so repulsive (the end...), that I dont want to connect a special scent with the movie...
    Agree with you! So, a sample of Messe de Minuit comes to mind. I don't love this scent very much, so no harm done when there are 'bad connections'. And yet somehow this scent is so dark and somber on me that I think it will be fitting for the film. After leaving I will spray something that oozes "happy, comforting" like good old Diorissimo
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

They have missed the last great chance to resurrect Smell-O-Vision with this movie. But times have changed, someone would have difficulty breathing, and someone would sue. There would be a class-action suit from myriad damages to nasal passages, lungs, and skin. A far-fetched complaint would hold that the complainant had been rendered impotent by one of the more prescient aromas.

But, oh, for license to pollute freely. Surely the creators at least considered this reckless and impossible idea. I guess making that coffret is the next best thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: What scent will you wear to the movie "Perfume"?

I'd rather wear something light and charming, barely noticeable yet somehow obsession inducing. Grenouille's scent wasn't heavy or dark at all (not that I ever had a chance to sniff it). Maybe L'Antimaterie or then just a small amount of Carnal Flower or L'Homme de Coeur.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    They have missed the last great chance to resurrect Smell-O-Vision with this movie.
    I agree, especially with the movie-related set of fragrances that has been developed. Incase any of you didn't see, read the "NY Times Article" about Christophe Laudamiel.
    I will wear Jean Patou 1000, because of the use of enfleurage on the Grasse Jasmine.

Post Thanks / Like

There seems to be a lot of blood and death associated with this movie, I guess a non-conformist scent would be quite relevant.
    I will wear Diptyque's L'Autre! It is my least favourite and most bizarre scent in my wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just afraid it's going to be a crummy movie. Am not heartened by scenes depicted in the NYT article or in the (sort of) trailer. (thanks for the link, Mme. Quarry) Everything looks so PRETTY.

To my mind, the bleak, earthy, gritty everyday-ness of "Brokeback Mountain" in the book was ruined in the movie by sheer visual beauty. And I LOVE Ang Lee. Any of you guys on the other side of the pond actually seen it yet?

And did anybody but me think it was funny that the anti-hero's name is Frog?

So, what else but Poison:bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

It's my suspicion that a few recent scents have been created with this movie in the back of the nose's mind - scents that smell like unadorned bodies. l'Antimatiere, as mentioned above, smells to me like a bed where someone has been struggling with flu for many days. l'Air de Rien is the smell of underwear worn for a fortnight. And I wonder if the plethora of hushed, 'subtle' scents like AP Maitresse and Kenzo Amour are part of this movement?

The novel described a genius parfumeur who could make scents that simply smelled of 'person', and which could alter the perceptions of others about him. Noses are only human. I wonder how many of them have subconsciously taken up the challenge?

I would wear none other then Mitsouko...

Nostalgic, reflective and somewhat sombre. I never have an appropriate occasion to wear it; and now I've found one.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Post Thanks / Like

Jasmin by Le Galion

I cannot get through to purchase Le Coffret, are all 150 sets sold out?
    When will Aura be available?