Code of Conduct

Default Initial impressions

Shooting from the hip on this one; bear in mind my newbieness handicap factor of -10

I received the following five samples from scentemental:
    • New Haarlem
    • Czech & Speake No. 88
    • Floris No. 89
    • Dior Homme
    • Mugler Cologne
    First, New Haarlem: this is living up to its reputation as the gourmand extraordinaire. The initial scent is a bit jumbled and seems uncertain to my nose, but it very quickly calms down and starts dishing out a nice, easy chocolate and coffee scent platter that reminds me of many nice Sunday mornings at my local Starbucks.

C&S 88: Woah mama! I'm not a fan of the soapy scent. Iridiscent soap with an underlying Catholic Church incense with bit of Patchuli in there somewhere? I'm going to end up staying away from this one, it seems. This is, of course, a first impression so I'll try it again before finally writing it off.

Floris No. 89: Nice lemon, lime with a barely discernable rotten backbone. I'll have to look up its notes, but it seems like a good linear scent. Very pleasant and, if it's good enough for James Bond, it's good enough for me.

Dior Homme: This is quality stuff. I can smell the Cocoa and the Iris quite well and it's been a very pleasant sniffing experience. This is a definite must-have. I'm monitoring the longevity as, from what I've read, there seems to be a problem with that. So far, an hour and still going strong.

Mugler Cologne: What can I say? I like this stuff, it smells of a nice Pacific Island outdoor shower: fresh, clean, and thank heavens, not too soapy.

Post Re: Initial impressions

No. 88 is not an easy one to comprehend! I didn't like it at first, and still don't wear it that often, but man it's one well made scent. It's a true masterpiece, that impresses me like no other scent. Don't give up on it mate!

Default Re: Initial impressions

Does any one else find Montale's Black Aoud similar to c&S no.88 ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Does any one else find Montale's Black Aoud similar to c&S no.88 ?

*Puts hand in air.*

In the later stages, 88 now reminds me of a hundred other scent combinations from the 80s, when I was growing up, for some reason. Yes, this is one I'll definitely be passing on, alas.

Dior Homme, while really good, is now waning, two to three hours in. Too bad, I wish it had a bit more longevity because it smells magnificient.

Time, t, now equals 6 hours and Dior Homme has only the faintest whisper that it was ever on my skin although if I stick my nose close enough, I can still pick up that wonderful scent.

Floris 89 left the building even earlier and I have no sense of it at all, but New Haarlem is now well into its drydown stage, not strong but smooth, like a cup of cold creamy coffee. Not bad!

I refused to spray Czech & Speake no. 88 on my skin. Nope, not gonna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig

I refused to spray Czech & Speake no. 88 on my skin. Nope, not gonna do it.
    Draw the (velvet) curtains, put on some nice old Sisters of Mercy tracks (like "Heartland", or "Marian"), THEN spray it on your skin (imagine a preraffaelite smiley here)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Re: Initial impressions

whoops
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 21st November 2006 at 12:07 AM.