Code of Conduct

Thread: Fracas for Men

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fracas for Men

I just picked up a bottle of Fracas for Men online (blind). I always liked Bandit, but never even knew that there was a men's version of Fracas. Has anybody tried it? Is it anything like the original Fracas? I did a search but didn't come up with much conclusive.

Luckily, it wasn't very expensive, so if it is nothing to write home about, no problem.

Thanks,
    John

Default Re: Fracas for Men

Very sharp, very soapy/lavender-y opening, with a pretty sharp anise-y note in the drydown. Not at all like Bandit for Men. I'm not a great fan of it, but have smelled far, far worse scents. The lid and bottle are really cheap-o, btw -- don't be expecting great design and/or quality there.

I gave my bottle of Fracas for Men to my friend Chuck; he really likes it a lot.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. That is about what I expected; as I mentioned, it was quite inexpensive. But, I have and enjoy Bandit and thought this one might be a fun one to try. Nevertheless, knowing at least that it probably isn't going to make me ill when I smell it is a plus.

There is no year of production in the basenotes directory. Anybody have any idea when it was produced, or by whom? (also, who owns the Piguet license?) It seems as though the prices for both Bandit and Fracas (the originals for women) are all over the place; Neimans has them for $90 and then online the same size EDP is $15-25 on a number of sites.

John
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 20th November 2006 at 07:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Edit (accidentally posted twice).

I'm anxious to hear your impressions of this one once you've received it.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Yes, once I've had a chance to give it a try for a few days, I'll definitely post a review. It is still strange to me, though, that given the popularity and fame of Fracas and Bandit that I've heard almost nobody talk about Fracas Men, whether good or bad.

But, I agree with you about the bottle, even seeing the image online, I wonder why on earth they didn't just go with the classic, simple rectangular bottle like the regular Fracas and Bandit. That weird, art-deco thing they came up with looks like something more suited to Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

John
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 21st November 2006 at 12:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bandit has always been a myth, and the 'masculine' version of it profited from that. Fracas (men) is a wonderful fragrance but never reached fame, I believe. Nowadays it suffers from being regarded as old style, and also from the rather cheap (US) packaging. There is practically no advertising for this, and we all know that an expensive image is half of what makes a perfume.
    edit: the bottle proudly says 'Eau de Cologne'. But remember, like D'Orsays for example, it dates back to an era when EDC didn't mean 'smelling weak' yet. Also Bandit EDC is by no means volatile. Fracas lasts better on me than various Guerlain EDTs today, Habit Rouge for example.
    Last edited by narcus; 21st November 2006 at 06:39 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I have it and believe it's a cologne rather than an EDT. I found it weak and boring,,,but hope you like it! And yeah, it's nothing like Bandit...but what is??

I like Fracas for men.
    A nice floral scent, with a green note (tarragon? basil?), and very long lasting on my skin.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

You're smelling tarragon/basil; I'm smelling anise. Whatever it is, it's a sharp, herbal note along those lines. Does anyone know the pyramid for this one?

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

My bottle finally came I had a chance to try it out over the holiday. Overall, I like it well enough (especially for the price paid). It starts off pretty sharp but shortly thereafter I get lots of mandarin and lavender. It's not something I'd want to wear everyday or that will become my signature scent, but it was definitely worth the try. One of the other reviewers in the directory likened it to Guerlain Habit Rouge, but I don't get that connection at all. It reminds me more of the various French lavender-y/barber shop/shaving cream scents.

The packaging (as we've been talking about) is truly the oddest thing; comparing to my bottle of Bandit, it looks like it was produced by two different companies. The font is the same on each, but even the Bandit box is made of thicker cardboard and lining. The bandit bottle and top are made of thicker glass and the bandit top is metal. The Fracas man bottle even has a cheap sprayer and the top is made of flimsy plastic. Finally, the Bandit is made in France, the Fracas for men is made in the US.

For a brand that sells Bandit at places like Bergdorf Goodman for $90+, I'm a bit bewildered that they'd still release Fracas for men in such shitty packaging. It is SO cheap looking (despite smelling okay) that you'd think it would dilute the "image" of the Piguet brand. It would be something like finding out that L'artisan parfumeur makes "Charlie."
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 29th November 2006 at 12:38 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho