Code of Conduct

Question -( Montale Black Aoud vs. Czech & Speake no.88 )-

I have been testing Black Aoud in my lab for the past few days and came up with this equation:

Black Aoud = (No. 88 notes) - vetiver + Aoud + Leather

I.e., The opening bergamot notes of no.88 are replaced by rich aoud medicinal aoud in Black, but they both share similarities in that they are predominantly citrus-rose-earthy fragrances. The earthy notes are provided by vetiver in no.88 and leather in black aoud. Both are constructed around a heart of rose.

Comments ?
    -

Default Re: -( Montale Black Aoud vs. Czech & Speake no.88 )-

Z I don't get any leather in the Black Aoud at all , maybe it is my nose.

I do smell the dominant patchouli and rose notes.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky

Much like Vijay, I dont get any leather out of BA either. It does have awesome sillage and longevity though. It kinda smells like you took No.88 and set it on fire and Black Aoud is the charred remains. Hardened from being in the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky

Sorry, yea, its patchoulli. Thats what resembles the earthiness found in No.88.

Any other fragrances of this ilk ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I have been testing Black Aoud in my lab for the past few days ...Comments ?
    What kind of testing did BA go through, or what do you use to perform a 'lab test' ?
    Last edited by narcus; 22nd November 2006 at 06:25 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

So which, in your opinion, is the best hands down?

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Sorry, yea, its patchoulli. Thats what resembles the earthiness found in No.88.

Any other fragrances of this ilk ?
    How about Iquitos...is it anything like BA?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I don't really like this comparison because I don't think they have anything in common. They smell worlds apart IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I don't really like this comparison because I don't think they have anything in common. They smell worlds apart IMO.
    I totally agree. I've made the mistake of searching for the "one" in roses...there is no such thing. I've come to draw the following conclusions:

D. Caraceni - Rose & Tobacco Extraordinaire
    Le Labo Rose 31 - Wood and Rose
    Montale Black Aoud - Medicinal Rose
    C&S 88: Soapy Rose

If I had to choose one and only one, it would be the Domenico.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Totally agree with TNMA Caraceni is the one.I used to think that C & S 88 was similar to the Caraceni but for me the latter wins.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    How about Iquitos...is it anything like BA?
    Inasmuch as Iquitos is kind of a dark scent which contains rose, one could call it similar. But Iquitos is a little boozy, a tad too sweet for me, and the rose isn't exactly to my heart either. Maybe I am just biased, but I have found Iquitos cheap smelling, long before I fell for BA.
    Last edited by narcus; 17th October 2007 at 03:33 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I totally agree. I've made the mistake of searching for the "one" in roses...there is no such thing. I've come to draw the following conclusions:

TNMA
    Wow, those are some strong words thenmarcher...the best of those 4 is D. Caraceni?

Really?

Then I must try DC soon.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th October 2007 at 06:36 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I like all four mentioned (DC and BA are worth stockpiling for different reasons) but the complexity and design of 88 is hard to match.

Black Aoud contains no leather perse, but the labdanum note gives it a distinctly leathery quality.

After eighteen months and two bottles of No.88, I've begun to smell a lot more cedar in it. Cedar's often monotonous but in 88 it's integrated so well that it's not a serious problem. The drydown is always the same, a high quality, substantial, balsamic sandalwood and rose otto accord (it was built on those two notes) with just enough edge to keep it intriguing until it's gone. An entirely unique and phenomenal fragrance.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th October 2007 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow, those are some strong words thenmarcher...the best of those 4 is D. Caraceni?

Really?

Then I must try DC soon.
    I think so. I was surprised really, given how many rose scents I had tested previously. Its long lasting to the point of amazement. Its versatility is match by Rose 31 but DC has more panache than the others. It comes as close the the "specific" kind of rose I was looking for so you may find different results.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

After zztop's ellusive laboratory examinations and much speculation here, we need resolution and absolution. Betweem no.88 and BA, which do you think wins as the ultimate rose. Please, between these two only since the progenitor of the thread regards these. Thanks!
    --------------------------------------
    Ok, from past research, BA is what, over $200 and no.88 is about $133 USD. Does that sound right? There is a price difference and I would love the read some replies based on smell and price.

1. Which fragrance smells the best to you, in your opinion, hands down

2. Did price have an affect on your answer in question 1?
    Last edited by Scentologist; 19th October 2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Re: -( Montale Black Aoud vs. Czech & Speake no.88 )-

No. 88 is the most impressive fragrance I know of; the clarity of the notes is phenomenal, so is the richness and depth, Czech & Speake have achieved both without compromising the natural and rugged aspects of the fragrance. Nothing really smells alike. But, I will have to commit a heretic act and say, that Villoresi's Sandalo is similar in feel, it does not smell like No. 88, but both are dry, balsamic and deep, with similar sandalwood accord.

Two bottles in eighteen months is very impressive pluran. I don't feel comfortable wearing it at the moment, hopefully some day I will.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    After zztop's ellusive laboratory examinations and much speculation here, we need resolution and absolution. Betweem no.88 and BA, which do you think wins as the ultimate rose. Please, between these two only since the progenitor of the thread regards these. Thanks!
    --------------------------------------
    Ok, from past research, BA is what, over $200 and no.88 is about $133 USD. Does that sound right? There is a price difference and I would love the read some replies based on smell and price.

1. Which fragrance smells the best to you, in your opinion, hands down

2. Did price have an affect on your answer in question 1?
    1. Black Aoud. I simply prefer its cragginess to No. 88's sophistication.

2. Since neither of these is a "bargain" fragrance I won't discriminate by cost.

1) Yeah, I bought BA, still intend to buy No88, but it didn't have the same OHMYGODGOTTAHAVEIT as BA did for me.

2) What Vibert said... not enough difference. I think I got my BA for quite close to the No88 price anyway, if memory serves

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post

TNMA
    This is the perfect descritions of the 4 frags - Kudos to your excellent nose.