Code of Conduct

Thread: Davidoff Zino?

Default Davidoff Zino?

Is it a good blind buy? I'm asking because there's nowhere in my country you can get it, but I could order it online for cheap.

Also, what is it like? Yes, I've read the reviews but I find they differ a lot on what it smells like. Some say floral, some say leathery and vanillic.

I've heard good things about it and I think it might be right up my alley but it would be nice if you could enlighten me further before purchasing.

Default Re: Davidoff Zino?

Deep, dark, animalic -- VERY sexy. (About as "sultry" as any men's fragrance can get, IMHO.)

Hints of leather, yes. Lots of patchouli; LOTS of rosewood. Very reasonably priced, too, esp. on eBay.

An excellent blind buy -- unless you're of the Tommy generation and thoroughly fixed on smelling like an androgynous laundry detergent sitting in the rain, that is.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy

An excellent blind buy -- unless you're of the Tommy generation and thoroughly fixed on smelling like an androgynous laundry detergent sitting in the rain, that is.
    Hmm...

I thought Zino was a somewhat darker cousin (and older of course) to Allure Homme when I tried it recently. Not my cup, really, though I would prefer it to Allure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaisen
    Some say floral, some say leathery and vanillic..
    Sorry for confusing you even more: to me it s mostly a romantic, slightly sweet tobacco frag. It has a lot of facets and a certain depth and for that I love and respect it. Its surely a good buy but I am not sure if its "safe"....

Christian
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

I remember(barely ) wearing it decades ago. I remember loving it and getting compliments from the ladies on it but I cannot describe it to you. I remember it being one of the best colognes I'd ever used ..........before I discovered BN . Try it. Betcha like it !

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Man I just got this scent blind and it has shot up past my top ten very quickly....dont let the initial blast in the beginning scare you let it dry down for 20 mins and you will be comforted into a citrusy, musky, sweet, creamy, patchouli coma ;-)

Def a top ten in my book and Johnny Depps primary fragrance........

It's a fantastic ambery scent. I really want another bottle of this. When I had a bottle, I used to get lots of compliments. It's a safe blind buy...according to me.

Well my Zino is on its way and ive bought it blind aswell..Its been mentioned so often here that its dark & animalic..I just wanted to see how dark this one could get...coz the heavy stuff that i purchased after reading here turned out to be fairly light for me...eg..Ungaro III....it was projected as a dark scent but i think its fairly fairly subtle & weak...Van Cleef & Arpels PH turned out a good dark scent and i absoultely love it..so i wanted to have another heavy scent in my arsenal and it happened to be Zino....Well the darkest darkest darkiest scent ive had is Furyo...man this one lasts till eternity..

Lets see if Zino lives up to its name...

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 21st November 2006 at 09:57 PM.

I bought it blind from Marshalls a few weeks ago. Amazing scent. I doubt anything is ever a "safe" blind buy, but this stuff is as good as people claim. It's been compared to MR and I agree with this somewhat but MR is more unrelenting. It is heavy on vanilla/tonka, rosewood, patchoulli, sandal, and amber. It's sort of floral, but in a 100% masculine way (unlike Insense).

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

One of my all-time favorites: a little leathery, some tobacco and amber, not too sweet, but just a hint of tenderness. People always sniff when I'm wearing it... a definite attention getter. Not new at all, but definitely a classic "men's" evening scent.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Simply one of the best mainstream releases of all time and always in my Top 5. Purchase it at any cost. There was a rumor that it was being discontinued but it's still widely available on ebay and reasonable prices. I don't think it's sold in the States but found plenty in Canada.

I've seen it sold in Oregon, but not in department stores.

It's a rich, complex scent, so no surprise that everyone will smell something different. I get a lot of rose, patchouli, and vanilla, with some tobacco, leather, and tonka in the background. A little sweet, but less so than many fragrances. Deep and dark. Gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelwithoutaclue
    Simply one of the best mainstream releases of all time and always in my Top 5. Purchase it at any cost. There was a rumor that it was being discontinued but it's still widely available on ebay and reasonable prices. I don't think it's sold in the States but found plenty in Canada.
    Marshalls had a bunch of 1 oz bottles for $10/bottle. I initially bought one and fell in love. Went back and bought 1 more. Comtemplating buying another one.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Man......i think this is a risky blind buy....my nose did not gladly accept the notes of Zino as gladly as it fell in love with Antaeus and VC&A ph...

I have read so much +ve about Zino here that the mind is just not accepting that it indeed smells like 'scented puke' to me...but i am going to give it several complete wearings as i have seen the wrist test & the complete wearing test gives different results....

I am a huge fan of florals but this particular blend is actually putting off to me...atleast initially...

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 23rd November 2006 at 12:24 PM.

Just letting you guys know that I bought Zino blind, and am awaiting its arrival.

I also bought Terre d'Hermes and Guerlain Vetiver, blind as well (hey, they were cheap!).

I'll let you know how it goes.