Code of Conduct

Default Give back the lottery

Borsari offers a sample tin of 4 mini's. Violetta de Parma, Zagara (orange blossom) Acqua Rosa Thea (tea rose), Corteccia di Pina (bergamot, mint, thyme over lavender, pine, and sage.) I bought one, listed as 4 piece, at auction for 3.99 USD. I thought, while I was at it, I'd bid on a 24 piece set, priced at 24.99 USD, exactly six times the price, for six sample tins.

Today I recieved 25 sample tins, which makes 100 mini's.

I know the right thing to do. Email my seller, return the excess. I'm just wondering...will I go to hell if I keep it all and say nothing?

Default Re: Give back the lottery

Yeah, but you'll be one sweet-smelling roasted soul
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Oh, definitely. A slow turn on the spit with lots of lovely caramelized, blackened skin. Served up on a skewer!

I suppose this unexpected windfall is kind of like the supermarket cashier forgetting to charge for a large box of Tide. Sort of.

Personally, I'd offer to return it. Let me illustrate. Last year, I made a large order with one of the favored etailers. It arrived as expected, and three weeks later so did a duplicate order. I called up and returned it. I had to pay for the (expensive) postage since they wanted it back immediately. They thanked me for my honesty, but did not refund my postage, so I had to ask that it be applied to my next order. Which it wasn't. I still feel that I handled it appropriately.

*sigh*

Lots of minis, but you didn`t pay half a fortune for it. I think maybe I would contact the seller and tell about it. But since it was their mistake, not yours, I think they should let you keep some of it, for your trouble and cost of returning the goods.

Edit: Or you could pretend that you are suffering from dyscalculia, and put some up for swap on BN?
    Last edited by musse; 21st November 2006 at 06:03 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

When I bought a new faucet from an ebay seller, I was accidentally sent two, but charged for only one. I contacted the seller, who was really repping for the manufacturer who made the shipping mistake, and they said they'd arrange for UPS to retrieve the duplicate at their expense. I kept the box by the front door for months, but since it was never claimed, I finally kept it (and glad I did, because the bronze finish on the faucet installed is flaking and I'll need the dupe to replace it eventually).

What does this all mean to you--absolutely nothing, I'm just bragging.

But, seriously ... I'd ask in advance for them to cover the shipping cost--that might be enough bother/incentive for them to say, "Just keep the stuff."
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

OK, I sent them a 'ask seller a question about this item.' I stated simply that "I received 6 tins, a total of 96 mini bottles. FYI." Duty done. I can promise you I won't be paying any return shipping ! They offer a refund in 3 days if the customer is not satisfied, minus shipping and handling, and a 5% restocking fee.
    The shipping was 9.95 and 5% of the purchase price would be $1.25. I'll charge them $11.20 if they want them back. But only if they answer my message in 3 days.

Edit: Ooops, I did say 24 tins in my ebay message!
    Last edited by Shycat; 22nd November 2006 at 12:19 AM.

No way should you pay the shipping costs on that one. In fact, I'd get it in advance. It was their mistake, not yours. People seem very cavalier about shipping when it is to their benefit and very penurious when it might be to yours.

To cheer you up, Shycat, I will share this pleasing ebay tale, completely unrelated but I hope enjoyable.

I sold an expensive bottle of perfume on a Buy It Now and the person requested an invoice even though the auction total including shipping and insurance was factored through ebay's calculator. When I prepared the invoice, the shipping seemed too low (it came up almost two dollars short when I knew that it was more, and that rate didn't seem to include insurance. Also note that I pay for, but do not charge for delivery confirmation). Anyway, I invoiced her for what I imagined was within a dime either way of the presumed total, explaining that the invoice total seemed too low. She wrote back asking why I was trying to profit forty cents on the shipping. Apparently the invoice had gone to her with the total as shown on my listing, not as indicated to me on the invoice, and my estimate was forty cents higher than what my listing had requested.

We agreed that when I mailed the item, I would include four dimes as a refund.

Of course the shipping came up meaninglessly (to me) higher than the ebay calculation, and I ended up losing a whopping thirty-five cents, but then I realized I am one of those people who doesn't really give a s**t, but the customer felt completely vindicated and righteous and sent a mail addressing the need for honesty in ebay transactions. This is why she lives in a penthouse apartment in Chicago and I live in a basement flat in the wilderness. I have been reckless with spare change.

LOL ! What strikes me as funny, in a pathetic kind of way, is I don't even know what the moral of the story should be. I do try to follow the Golden Rule, although sometimes it seems I follow it alone (present company of basenotes members excluded.) I don't get histrionic over a dollar. I get histrionic over other stuff, but not a dollar.

I'd like the world to be honest. Ergo: I should be honest. I'd never steal anything outright, and I never let a cashier miss anything at the register, or give me too much change.

But this, this stressed my weakly balanced moral center. It's their mistake, and my trouble to correct it. Odds are extremely high to 100% that the sample tins are out of date for brick and mortar sale (although the Violetta de Parma seems the same as my new bottle.) Plus, having made such a mistake in the first place, they'd probably never have noticed if I hadn't told them.

I know though, it comes down to this fact: I am a greedy fragrance piggy!

You done good, SC. There IS no moral, and certainly no reward other than the pain-in-the-ass return. Isn't it nice that, for once, there isn't some boring didactic lesson to be learned here? Ruins a perfectly good time, let me tell you.

You know, I sent this chick a decent extra with a sale. I do this from time to time when a person pays immediately and doesn't give me guff. A nice 10 ml decant of something I wasn't going to use. Just threw it in there with a note saying that it was a gift for her, a repeat buyer.

She turned around and sold it. Takes all kinds.

Follow-up and ending:

They don't want it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Follow-up and ending:

They don't want it back.
    All's well that ends well. Congratulations!

Great ending.

Your conscious is clear and it makes wearing your new frags. even sweeter!!

I'd add that seller to my favorites if I were you!

I'm with Paisley, SC, you've done all you can to make it right. Now suggest you relax and revel in all your spare frag! It's their job to make it easy for you, at this point, IMO. So breathe easy, friend. And enjoy!

ComDiva.