Code of Conduct
    Overcome By Fumes

Default Jil Sander? Oh Man! Bottle confusion

There appear to be several ambiguously labelled Jil Sander fragrances and I am trying to identify a bottle.

It is labeled Man by the seller. It is a clear rectangular bottle with a plum/mauve colored liquid. The cap is black and is about 1/3 the height of the entire bottle. The glass has black block lettering of JIL SANDER on the front. No box. I think it is actually Feeling Man, although it does not seem to be labelled that way. I don't know the other bottles in the line well enough to be sure it is not a different one. It is $25 for a 4.2 oz bottle which seems pretty reasonable for the fragrance which is rather discontinued.

Any Jil Sander experts who can help me out?

Default Re: Jil Sander? Oh Man! Bottle confusion

Can you post a pic or a link? From what you mention about the bottle shape, though, it does sound like it might be Feeling Man. But, with the plum/mauve liquid though and the low price, I'm not sure. Also, be sure that even if it is Feeling Man, it isn't the aftershave, balm, or one of the other toiletries from the line that were released. If it is an EDT of Feeling Man for that price, though, that is a great deal.

I love Jil Sander's fashion, but I've always been so disappointed with her fragrances. Of the one's I've tried... they all seem so... blagh (Jil Sander no. 4 is the only exception and even it isn't spectacular).

John
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 22nd November 2006 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    I love Jil Sander's fashion, but I've always been so disappointed with her fragrances. Of the one's I've tried... they all seem so... blagh (Jil Sander no. 4 is the only exception and even it isn't spectacular).

John
    I must admit that I shared your thoughts on all her ones till a few months ago. But I then tried, and was quite taken with Sun and Pure, though Pure I had to wait most of the day before it flared up again to intoxicate me.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    There appear to be several ambiguously labelled Jil Sander fragrances and I am trying to identify a bottle.

It is labeled Man by the seller. It is a clear rectangular bottle with a plum/mauve colored liquid. The cap is black and is about 1/3 the height of the entire bottle. The glass has black block lettering of JIL SANDER on the front. No box. I think it is actually Feeling Man, although it does not seem to be labelled that way. I don't know the other bottles in the line well enough to be sure it is not a different one. It is $25 for a 4.2 oz bottle which seems pretty reasonable for the fragrance which is rather discontinued.

Any Jil Sander experts who can help me out?
    Sounds like Sander Man. Not a bad scent, but certainly not Feeling Man. One day I will have Feeling Man...
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I must admit that I shared your thoughts on all her ones till a few months ago. But I then tried, and was quite taken with Sun and Pure, though Pure I had to wait most of the day before it flared up again to intoxicate me.
    Renato
    I can see somewhat about Sun, but Pure on me just seemed like a base for some fragrance that only got 30% finished. I kept waiting for it to do something on me, but it never did (that goes for both the Pure Man and regular Pure Woman).

Sun isn't bad, but it still disappoints me in that it doesn't really correspond ideologically to the fashion house whose name it bears. Like the discussion on the other thread about Alexander McQueen's Kingdom, that scent corresponds directly with the man and his fashion (whether one likes the scent or not).

Sander's fashion has always been about simplicity, but with the absolute highest quality with prices to match. It's been recently sold, but during its tenure in the Prada group it was considered the topmost brand, even above Prada itself. In that case, I'd expect the fragrances to follow suit, but they just strike me as typical designer scents and are priced and packaged accordingly. Whereas I might expect a loyal Prada clothes wearer to buy Prada scents, as they seem to be targeted at the same consumer, I don't know that I'd expect a loyal Sander fan (who buys the $2400 suits and $700 shoes) to buy her fragrances. They seem different customers.

John
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 22nd November 2006 at 12:23 PM.

My bottle of Feeling Man clearly says that on the front. The same bottle shape is used for Sander Man.
    http://www.1stperfume.com/brands-j-j...il-sander.html
    Last edited by stuigi; 22nd November 2006 at 01:06 PM.

Overcome By Fumes

The 1stperfume reference does not give me much confidence. The Jil Sander Man bottles pictured there have juice in two different colors and the Feeling Man bottles at that site are labelled exactly the same as well. No Feeling on the bottle. Reminds me of the Sex Pistols song...