Code of Conduct

Smile new here/learning in San Francisco

Hello everyone, I'm new to basenotes. I'm reading "The Emperor of Scent" and decided to go on a smell-a-thon to smellistrate the book and this got me very interested in learning about perfumes, particularly historic scents and also new perfumes from smaller houses and/or those that don't use animal products. (I know that sounds kinda skitzo... but esthetically I love vintage stuff, and politcally I'm all for animal rights and supporting small biz). Are there any San Francisco locals out there who would like to share tips on good ways to follow my nose around the city?
    Thanks!
    "No outfit is complete without cat hair."

Default Re: new here/learning in San Francisco

Welcome to basenotes!!

I've never shopped in Cali so I can't help you with that. Let me know how that book is. I've been meaning to read it but havn't found the time yet. Enjoy the site!

Thanks for welcoming me. The book is pretty interesting... I don't know much about perfume but it's a fun intro to it with a scientific slant, very readable.

Quote Originally Posted by no7
    Are there any San Francisco locals out there who would like to share tips on good ways to follow my nose around the city?
    Thanks!
    Union Square has many stores that you can visit on your journey. Nieman Marcus, Saks Fifth, Macy's, and Diptyque just to name a few. Check out the City Shopping Guide section of this forum to get a better idea of all the local hot spots. Happy smelling!

Welcome to Basenotes

Are there any San Francisco locals out there who would like to share tips on good ways to follow my nose around the city?
    Thanks!
    Welcome aboard .

I know there are several BN members in your area. One I know of and admire for his knowledge and love of scents is JaimeB. You may want to PM him and go from there.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

... also new perfumes from smaller houses and/or those that don't use animal products. (I know that sounds kinda skitzo... but esthetically I love vintage stuff, and politcally I'm all for animal rights and supporting small biz)...
    You might want to check out San Francisco-based perfumer Ineke -- no animal products used, and no animal testing:
    http://www.ineke.com/

Union Square is a good idea. Nordstroms' 2nd Level at the San Francisco Shopping Center has a great selection and helpful staff--I recently tried some Amouage scents there that are hard to find. Also, down the street from Neiman Marcus (also a good place to find exclusives) on Geary Street you will find Jacqueline Perfumerie, whose French proprietor keeps stocked with all the classic scents. Look for the big factice bottles in the window!

Diagonally up from Neiman's across Union Square is Saks, who has all the Bond No. 9's. Going west up Nob Hill, at 868 Post Street you'll find Parfumerie In Fiore, which I've only peeked into, but online reviewers promise Serge Lutens' scents can be found there.

The new Bloomingdales is a bit of a disappointment, fragrance-wise. They do have Jo Malone, but so does Neiman's and Saks. I have more fun at Macy's and Sephora--the old Sephora at Stockton Street was a fragrance-lovers dream in the late 1990's! They must've had every Guerlain there! Denis Dumont on Polk is gone, too...

I also honestly miss Uma's Tools of Magick on Page Street in the Haight for all the hand-decanted witchy/headshop oils. I still think The Sword and Rose is still up a bit on Cole and Carl--through the garden in the back--if you've got a need for the occult dragon's blood/orris root/eye of newt combinations.

And for essential oils and natural perfumes, you can't beat Rainbow Grocery!

Thanks for the tips on san francisco fragrances! What a fun new way to explore the city! I can see that this could get addictive... and expensive, yikes! I'm amazed at size of some of your wardrobes! It is really cool to pay more attention to one's sense of smell. Even just in everyday life I think I'm noticing smells more now. I wonder if a nose can become more sensitive with "education"?