Code of Conduct

Default Dior's Eau Sauvage: citrus or floral?

So, I've read much about Eau Sauvage and it's really interested me as the first masculine scent to contain hedione, some synthetic material that I'm not very familiar with. I've read that it is a fresh citrus.

The first time I tested this was around 9 months ago. All I got was lemon and basil and it smelled very BOey so I quickly washed it off before it could dry down at all and disregarded it.

Last weekend, I tested it again (not on skin though) and at first, I got the lemon and basil but it was a little easier to accept as I believe my olfactory sense has matured/refined. However, the citrus/basil quickly died away in around 10-15 minutes and it became a very nice warm floral that was both elegant and masculine.

So here I am reading the many reviews of this "citrus" scent but to me, it only opens as a citrus but is a floral in the end. Also, many compliment it's performance in the summer but I think I might prefer wearing this in the the cooler temperatures. There is this elegance about it that puts images in my mind of winter dinner parties where it would be inappropriate to wear something heavily sweet or spicy.

What do you guys think? Is it mainly a citrus or a floral?

Default Re: Dior's Eau Sauvage: citrus or floral?

I'm in the citrus camp. When I first tried it on a card, my head almost exploded and my eyes reeled back in my head. I thought "hm, this could be interesting..."

However, I brought it in the middle of winter. One day, I covered myself in it (literally - about 10 sprays at a time) twice during the day. Got the smell for about 1/2 hour each time, then - nothing.

I thought i was going to be sorely disappointed, given it's generally positive coverage here. However, recently I tried it again in the summer which has just started (it gets very hot and humid where I live) and BINGO! It's doing exactly what it's meant to do.

I think I can see (or smell) the floral part to it, but for me it remains a strikingly clean citrus smell, which for me works best in the heat of the summer day. As such, it tends to have a "brightening" effect on my personally.

QE

Question Re: Dior's Eau Sauvage: citrus or floral?

Hi, to me Eau Savage is a citrus frag with some floral undertones, on my skin plain citrus (in a very good way). BTW, where do you get body odor from Eau Savage? I think it is the epitome of cleanliness!

Hugs. W

I'd call it.. "nerolic"

Seriously, Eau Sauvage has a major neroli note to me. If you're not familiar with neroli, it comes from the flowers of a citrus, and it's both citric and floral.

Blog Entries

I actually believe it is a citrus dominated herbaceous chypre. That would explain both the citrus and floral aspects picked up by many.

Classic Chypre accord = oakmoss + patchouli + bergamot (citrus)

The 'sweat' note noticed by some may be caused by the mix of cumin, basil and lavender in the blend. I find it far from 'B.O' though, more a subtle sheen of fresh sweat on recently showered skin in summer heat. May be this is why it works so well in summer - aromatic homeopathy.

Basil can be a troublesome note on some skin chemistries - even more so then the infamous cumin! I can wear happily, cumin drenched beauties such as Rochas Femme, Dinner by Bobo, Havana pour elle, Aramis for men and YSL Yvresse with no problem at all. But I have to be careful when wearing a scent featuring basil as I can end up smelling like I have used a perfume to hide the scent of not using deoderant. Even a simple blend like PdC Lime & Basil Fantasy body spray can create the sillage equivalent of 'eau de unwashed pubescent boy's room'!

myaccolades: If you truly enjoy the floral aspects of Eau Sauvage but not the basil, then I recommend you try Dior Diorella which is the 'female' version of Eau Sauvage which focus' on the floral / chypre aspects and softens the basil greatly. You may also enjoy Pierre Cardin Choc (very similar to Eau Sauvage) or Carven Ma Griffe. Please try them on your skin before dismissing them completely. May I also recommend Crown Perfumery Town & Country / Imperiale / Crown Fougere, and Penhaligons English Fern.
    Last edited by moondeva; 22nd November 2006 at 02:28 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Thanks for all the responses! The reason why I had to ask is because of the two different experiences I had with this scent: one being citrus and basil, the other being floral and other keynotes.

I do enjoy the floral aspects more and I have read a lot of Diorella being quite similar so I will also go out and test that one out (thanks for the tip moondeva!). Perhaps a blend of the two? I don't know.

Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage is classified as Citrus/Hesperide in the classical category. The classical category is balanced notes characteristic of the family. Information I got from "Fragrances of the World Parums du Monde 2006. by Michael Edwards.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I think it's a citrus but it certainly has floral notes--I especially love the jasmine in it. A great scent, it's what comes to mind when I think of the best citruses available.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

The former members described it very well. Also to me its a citrus/floral with a predominating jasmine note in the middle. I like it a lot, even though I prefer Acqua di Parma Colonia (citrus/rose) in this category. Its pretty pricy but if you get a chance to test it I would recommend you to compare these two.

Christian
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Quote Originally Posted by costello
    The former members described it very well. Also to me its a citrus/floral with a predominating jasmine note in the middle. I like it a lot, even though I prefer Acqua di Parma Colonia (citrus/rose) in this category. Its pretty pricy but if you get a chance to test it I would recommend you to compare these two.

Christian
    I'd love to test that one as well but seeing as I already have many rose notes in my collection, I think I should explore other floral-masculine's - thus Eau Sauvage's jasmine note which I fell heads over heels for last weekend!

I'll be sure to check out Colonia though if I ever see it in stores (I've never seen it in stores in Canada. The last time I saw it was in El Corte Ingles in Spain)
    Last edited by myaccolades; 22nd November 2006 at 06:46 PM.

I'd considered it a good example of a chypre, in the same boat as Eau du Sud and Trophee Lancome.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I get both aspects. The opening and middle is very citric for me, then I pick up the floral side of it in the basenotes.

A classical citrus chypre, it remains one of the best I've ever smelled. Just bought another bottle and it's as good as ever.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st January 2007 at 10:32 AM.

It's a fresh (citrusy) chypre.

Many perfumes have floral notes, but that doesn't make them a floral. Florals smooth out and round the compositions and help to bridge between the heavy base notes and the fleeting and at times sharp top notes.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    It's a fresh (citrusy) chypre.

Many perfumes have floral notes, but that doesn't make them a floral. Florals smooth out and round the compositions and help to bridge between the heavy base notes and the fleeting and at times sharp top notes.
    Thanks for clearing that up Ayala!

I find floral notes are emphasised when I put frags on my arms, particularly on my wrists.

I started this thread because I had to clear it up. I think Ayala explained it very nicely, along with everyone else!

The reason why I had to ask is because of the two very different characters I got from Eau Sauvage. First it was citrus. The second, it became jasmine flower and other base notes.

I have a bottle coming in so.... I don't know if it's considered buying blind but it kind of is.

I'm excited guys!

TO ME ITS NOT CITRUS NOR FLORAL. I USED TO LIVE IN PARIS FOR 10 YEARS.
    TO ME EAU SAUVAGE IS THE PERFUME OF PARIS BY NIGHT.
    ITS THE SPLEEN MELANCHOLY OF 19eme SIECLE AND THE MAUDITS POETS.
    UNE SAISON EN ENFER OR LES FLEURS DU MAL. EAU SAUVAGE IS THE SCENT OVER THESE MANUSCRITS.